Greetings from Waterloo, Ontario Canada!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mckitrick

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am the proud owner of a single ESL speaker. :)
It was purchased through one of my old businesses in a bulk liquidation lot and I only received the one speaker. I had hoped that I would happen upon another one in my travels over the years but sadly it hasn't happened yet. I was pleasantly surprised to find this forum of Martin Logan users and figured this might be a great place to learn more!
I'm ashamed to admit this poor speaker has been sitting unused, albeit safely, in my garage for many years.

At the time I received it, it didn't come with the power supply but reading the back label, I saw that it uses 7-24v DC so I simply plugged in a 12VDC supply to test and OH MY it sounded GREAT! Never have I heard that weird alternator whine at the beginning of "Wish you were here" so clearly.

I now find myself looking for new speakers because my aged Infinity RS 625's have suffered from "ring rot" and while I'm going to attempt to repair them, the thought of picking up a second ESL crossed my mind and here I am!

Questions for you fine folks if I may:
1. What does the proper power supply look like for these things and what is the actual output voltage? Are they available to purchase?
2. Serial number starts with ABG5 but I wasn't able to find that in the serial number decoder in the forums. How old is this thing? I'm guessing at least 7 years old.
3. Where might I find a single used ESL speaker? Kijiji didn't have any for all of Ontario and eBay generally has people selling them in pairs located in the USA. I considered just buying a single new one from a local dealer but then I will have a brand new speaker paired with an old one which seems wrong.

What would you folks do in my position? Should I just sell it on Kijiji and hope there's someone out there with a lonely single ESL looking for it's mate?

Thanks!
Mck.

We have some guys here that have turned a main speaker into a center channel for home theater. Maybe you could do that. Maybe one of the guys that did it might come on this thread.

Thanks Robert, I would assume the speaker would need to be turned sideways since it's quite tall.
That would make for a significant centre channel. :)

Thanks Robert, I would assume the speaker would need to be turned sideways since it's quite tall.
That would make for a significant centre channel. :)
Yeah, thats what they did. I think there was some other things that he did to it too. Yeah, it would be an awesome way to get a good center channel cheap if you have one like you do. Do a search on here, maybe you can find it.

Great advice Stefan_DR3! I'll keep an eye on it and see if someone is selling a single ESL or maybe post a WANTED ad for a single ESL.
Thank you!

Back