Greetings from Lake of the Ozarks

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
HI, I hope to be an "official" member shortly. I am in the process of revamping my entire HT / 2-Channel system. I have always owned conventional "box" type speakers but last year I heard a friends Martin Logan's and OMG what a sound, so different from what I am accustomed to hearing. Since then I have been in demo mode, both ML's and Maggies. I have come across an opportunity to purchase a used ML system that is 10-11 yrs old, single owner and, visually, in excellent condition. It consists of the following:
2 @ Ascents, 2 @ Aerius, 2 @ Scenarios, 1 @ Cinema center & 1 @ Depth Sub for $5000 total. The owner was referred by a dealer in Kansas City that lives about 9 hours away. Before I commit to the 18 hour round-trip to listen to this system with the intent to purchase I wanted some feedback from experienced ML owners on the following:

1) How does AGE impact these speakers? According to the owner they have never been "pushed/clipped", but they have also never been serviced.
1A) Will I have to invest a lot of $'s on rework/upgrade in the near future?
2) Is this a good value purchase? $5K for a circa 2000 speaker system or would I be better off investing the $5K, and more, in a newer set of ML's. I know this is a highly subjective question, but I have no experience with ESL's and am looking for some general guidance. Any help would be appreciated. Regardless, one way or another I am joining the ESL, or Planar, family. Cheers, Robert :music:

Back