From Sources to .....???

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alfred143

Reaction score
Greetings All,
Need some advice/help on my next speaker.
I recently sold my Source SE and now have been deciding on what to get next. The Source were great for awhile but I never fell in love with them like I wanted to. I've been reading "bigger is better" so I'm possibly considering the Vistas, maybe. But, perhaps its my small condo and the arrangement(one tucked in a corner) that's didn't giving my Sources a chance to sing, which can be same issue with my future Vistas if I go that route. Hence, my alternative choice the new Motion 40 towers.
A ML regional rep. was in the showroom, I think his name was Peter;Great guy, suggested these as an alternative to ESLs speaker for easier placement and still have that "Martin Logan" sound I'm familiar with and enjoy.

There seems to be a few New Vistas out there for the $2K price which is the same pricing as the Motion 40 and close to the ElectroMotion ESL (which I should consider too).
So, are the Vistas going to be a nicer sounding, larger sweet spot speaker (because of the larger panel) than my Special Edition Sources in my same condo environment? Will going to the Electromotions be a lateral move from the Sources? OR maybe the easy of placement, new tech of the Motion 40 line be satisfactory? I've heard the Motion 40s and they do sound very nice, but I'm visually biased because they are not ESL.
An after thought concerning room conditions, can high humidity play a roll on the musicality of the ESL panel? I have a live coral reef aquarium in the same room and I can evaporate half gallon to a full gallon of water a day.
I'll stop for now and get some feedback from 'yall.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I say Elecrtomotion are a big step up, I have source se and could never part with them so I moved them to surround duty. I went for the Vista on the 2K deal and love them very much. The stage does not fall apart when standing up and sitting down with Vista or Electromotion. Its tough to make the decision for you when you say that source se did not sound great in your room.

The Sources sounded pretty good but had a hard time with the sweetspot. Is the Electromotions panel that much better than the Sources?

Its only 6 inch diff so you would think it would be similar but its not. They sound way better like it was a bigger speaker than it actually is. On my demo I moved around and did the whole squat thing and the soundstage was way better along with the bass and panel diff at higher volumes

I beleive it all comes to speaker placement and room acoustical treatments. I used to have ML Claritys (similar to source) and Vistas setup in the same room. With Claritys it was easy to find sweet spot but with Vistas a little bit more tricky. Than I moved and bought Summits. The room was very problematic L-shaped and small but with acoustc treatments. Surprisingly both Vista and Summit sounded pretty darn good. Than I had to move my whole rig to livingroom: large but without any treatments and I couldn't find the sweet spot like in the previous room. I could say, if my first experience with ML was with setup in that "bad sounding room" I would not continue ML route.
Nor Summits , Claritys or Vistas could offer wider/deeper sweet spot than about 1.5 ft. That ofcourse is in my listening enviroment. But once the sweet spot is found you're in a musical heaven.

Back