For home theater, Vista beats Vantage?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akm3

Reaction score
I know Vantage has powered subwoofer, and Vista doesn't.

I'm wondering for a home theater setup, where I'm going to get a Descent anyway, would the Vista be the better value for my main speakers? Same panel as Vantage, but a lot less cost.

Descent picking up the rest?

I assume the Vista would be: 1) Harder for my amp to drive, 2) potentially worse panel/woofer integration.

Also, a Descent crossed over at lets say 80hz wouldn't even begin to touch the 450 cross over in the Vantage (and Vista?) so I dont' know how that would interact.

What do you all think?

-Allen

AKM,

Depends on how critical you are when listening in 2ch music. Are you asking if you can get away with the Vista instead of the Vantage in HT? I think so...

But if you are asking can you get away with the Vista instead of the Vantage in HT and Stereo... then that's asking a whole 'nother question.

I think the Vista is great.... but the Vantage is something else as you dont need to necessarily use a sub for music and it has been reported to have a better midbass reproduction. But if I were to save $1200+ on a Vista vs a Vantage and put that in a sub like a Descent, I just might do it.

Joey ;)

AKM,

Depends on how critical you are when listening in 2ch music. Are you asking if you can get away with the Vista instead of the Vantage in HT? I think so...

But if you are asking can you get away with the Vista instead of the Vantage in HT and Stereo... then that's asking a whole 'nother question.

I think the Vista is great.... but the Vantage is something else as you dont need to necessarily use a sub for music and it has been reported to have a better midbass reproduction. But if I were to save $1200+ on a Vista vs a Vantage and put that in a sub like a Descent, I just might do it.

Joey ;)

Well, in my case I am a huge proponent of the Lexicon Logic7 system, and listen to pretty much EVERYTHING through Logic7, including most 2ch music.

So, I would never really use my system as a "2ch" system, it would always be 7.1. Except to pop over to compare and then quickly go back to lovely 7.1 =D

So with that knowledge, I think I might lower budget to Vista and add line arrays or something.

If all your really interested in is HT, then by all means get the Vista and put the $$ differential into related pre/pro, amps, etc.

Aesthetically, I know the newer Vista/Vantages are pretty but they are small compared to some of the older designs.

I don't know if they have the vertical dispersion cutoff that the Claritys do (because of their height). I have SL3s and they are fantastic because at about 58" with the tile underneath the spikes they are just a hair shorter than I am ... So sitting down or standing up I don't miss anything.

Definitely couldn't say that for the Claritys. The tradeoff however is that the newer panels are better IMO. Much sharper and more accurate.

~CM

I think the Vista is great.... but the Vantage is something else as you dont need to necessarily use a sub for music

Actually, for my 2-channel system, i do use the sub for low end. I cut off at 60 Hz. So, i guess that it's a 2.1 music system...and i use the "pure direct" mode on my receiver.

Actually, for my 2-channel system, i do use the sub for low end. I cut off at 60 Hz. So, i guess that it's a 2.1 music system...and i use the "pure direct" mode on my receiver.

Thai,

That's great that you're using a sub with the Vantage.. my comment was just that it's not necessary since it pounds hard to about 35hz. However, a sub always adds to the beauty of music reproduction as long as it's integrated well with the overall stereo system.

Joey ;)

Aesthetically, I know the newer Vista/Vantages are pretty but they are small compared to some of the older designs.

Just to pick on this quote: "That's *NOT* what everyone said when the Summit came out!"

Everyone hated the new look, me included. It's sure grown on me though =D

-Allen

Just to pick on this quote: "That's *NOT* what everyone said when the Summit came out!"

Everyone hated the new look, me included. It's sure grown on me though =D

-Allen

Allen,

I wake up every morning and catch a glimpse of the Summits.... and let me tell you that despite it's reference sound, it's so svelte that I find that it blends rather well with the surroundings to the point that I dont notice it at times. The sleek panel helps and the obvious ability to see through doesnt hurt the "sly-ness" of the new ESL speakers either.

Allen,

I wake up every morning and catch a glimpse of the Summits.... and let me tell you that despite it's reference sound, it's so svelte that I find that it blends rather well with the surroundings to the point that I dont notice it at times. The sleek panel helps and the obvious ability to see through doesnt hurt the "sly-ness" of the new ESL speakers either.

Oh trust me, I think the new styling is now a thing of beauty. The old models look just that -- OLD. They look like clunky old behomeths compared to the new ones.

Just the radical change was hard to swallow at the time, now I wouldn't want them any other way.

-Allen

In the same predicament

I feel your pain....... :mad: I am looking at the Vista and Vantage, keeping in mind that in the future a descent i is an obvious addition. If the unit is going to be used for both stereo and HT I think it will be more of a personal preference than anything else... Try to find a dealer that has both units in the same room so that you can toss in a dvd *something you are very familiar with* and do an a/b comparison between the two with and without a sub...

Although I am sure many will agree either setup will rock the house :rocker:

Back