Erry (and others) Please help with camera!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatJ

Reaction score
Thanks again!

I do love the Meridian gear because it produces that crips and clear sounds I love in the ML's, so in my case it's 1 + 1 = >2!

These photo's are made with my Canon gear, a 1DmkII digital SLR-camera and a 14mm/2.8 prime and a 24-70/2.8 zoomlens. Nice to see it shows!
Erry-

We already see eye to eye on our A/V gear and you certainly take phenomenal photographs so I was hoping you (and any others that may share your talent) could help me.

While I don't quite have the time (yet) to learn how to truly take such professional pictures, I would like to start taking better photos. I am currently using a 5 MP digital camera that was from Sony's 'professional' line. It's about 5 years old now and has served me quite well. Since I've been so pleased with that unit I was considering purchasing the Sony Alpha digital SLR camera. With a 1000 USD budget do you have any suggestions? This is what I'd be looking for:

1. Ease of use
2. Great picture quality
3. Reliability
4. The ability to take pictures quickly. This is what annoys me with my current camera. By the time it snaps the shot I've missed what I was trying to capture.

I do think that this is something that I could see myself getting more involved in so I would like to make a purchase that I can grow in to, however it needs to be simple enough for my wife to take pictures of the kids as well.

Thanks in advance,

Adam

Having a 1000$ usd budget will allow you to get a rather nice body and probably a give away lens. I would spend more $ on the body as you can always upgrade lenses later on in time. For around a grand you have alot of choices, the main one you have to make is what company to go with....as once you have chosen a body you are essentially stuck with the lenses produced for that lens mount, ie canon, nikon, sony alpha, fuji, sigma. I personally have always shot with Canon, for multiple reasons, but mainly being their choices of lenses. The pro lenses that canon produces dubbed the "L" lenses are truly phenomenal in terms of ease of use, quality, sharpness, and all other aspects.

The availability of a tool called image stabilization has been with canon for the longest, and they weren't only the pioneers of it but I believe have the best technology out of all companies using the tool. For example, on a new lens from canon the 70-200 F4.0L IS if you normally took a picture at say 1/125 of a second and had great sharp results, with the IS on you can get the same amount of clarity at a shutter speed of 1/15....handholding. I'd like to see a NIKON VR lens do that!

I think I may have gotten off track a bit.

Some bodies to take a look at are the Canon Rebel XT (8mp) or the newer XTi with 10mp and a infrasonic sensor cleaning tool, to remove dust particles off the sensor with no servicing needed.... The prices for these new are and can be found under 1000$ I would not go shopping for these cameras at your normal big box retailers, go to a pro camera shop or do it online from a reputable source like www.bhphotovideo.com or www.centralcamera.com or www.calumetphoto.com they have some of the best prices that are 'trustworthy'

Another thing to keep in mind are used bodies which can be had from a reputable source like KEH www.keh.com and I would take a look at the canon 20D or 30D same sensor as the rebel XT although the body is much better and more easy to use functionally, along with being much more sturdy and weather resistant.

If you happen to like the Nikon line, check out the D80 or D40 or if you find a great deal on a used D200 those are great bodies. The D80 I believe is the same sensor form the D200, just placed into a less pro body.

As far as teh Sony Alpha or Minolta..... I'm pretty sure that SOny bought out minolta and this is their first attempt at a camera after the buyout and merger.....I probably would not reccomend it. I have used it and played with it, but was not impressed at all. Sony as a company just loves money. When I used to sell cameras this was clearly apparent. Let me explain. While most camera companies use a standard usb to allow for transferring of pictures to a computer, sony has a proprietary cable which if damaged or lost, they charge double or more for their cable.....why? $$$$ Not only this, but their memory is also much more expensive as well!

I suppose some years ago the 'SONY' brand was infact better than others, but in this day in age it is just not so. (at least in cameras)

WIthout going into a memoir of info and dirt on sony I will leave it at that, if you have more detailed questions please let me know in a pm or reply.

I have been involved with photography and videography for most of my life, went to school for it and do it professionally. So theres much more info here but typing it all would be ridiculous, so if you have something in particular that you are wondering about, please let me know.

I just re read your post and thought i'd make some quick comments on your needs in the camera.

With a digital SLR or single lens reflex (cameras with interchangeable lenses) your lag time will not be noticeable. Once you depress the shutter button halfway, the lens will auto focus on a predetermined point in your viewfinder, most cameras have what are called focus points and manyof them generally about 7 or more. I prefer using spot, which is dead center, but at other times I adjust accordingly, anyways.......

So you push the button down half, it focuses, then when you want the picture to be taken push it fully and SNAP! instantly the picture is taken.... no waiting like on older point and shoot digitals. Speed of picture taking is generally speedy even on budget bodies, the rebel I believe can shoot at just under 3 frames per second.... so if you hold down the shutter like in fully auto, it will keep taking shots at around 3frames a second....eventually your memory card will slow the process down... but you should be able to take quite a handful of pictures before this happens.

Hope this helps!

I have to agree with HopelessDFilms. I used a nice sony digital camera for years and enjoyed it, but when I was ready to get serious about photography again I bought a Canon. It is really true that when you buy a digital SLR you are committing to a particular brand and you will be stuck with their way of doing things and the lenses that they offer for that particular mount.

Sony has proven time and again that they don't give a rat's a$$ about the consumer; they only care about the the money. And they have very little experience with manufacturing slr cameras and lenses. Canon and Nikon have proven they are capable of producing quality, user-friendly, professional-grade cameras and lenses for many years. They care about the end-user and will support their products and make new products backward-compatible whenever possible.

I highly recommend you go with a used (or new, if you can afford it) camera body from Nikon or Canon and buy the highest quality lenses you can afford as you have the money available to do so.

I hate to sound like a devils advocate, but as a Minolta owner for almost 20 years (Maxxum 5000, 7000, 9000) when I decided to go serious with digital, I bought a Sony Alpha. In a word, I LOVE it.

It's half the price of the Canons and Nikons in the same resolution (The Alpha has 10.1 megapixels for under $700 these days). It has nice balance and a substantial heft so that in your hands it feels like a REAL camera. It is completely compatible with all the older historical Maxxum lenses, and the new Sony lenses are VERY nicely made and solid. The controls are ergonomic, the buttons are easy to find and ressonsive but not "touchy". It somes with pretty much everything you'll need right out of the box, and it is VERY easy to learn.

If you are a Minolta fan, you'll love the Sony.

If you are a Canon or Nikon user, you'll probably hate it because it's easy to use and isn't really a "hackers" camera...

--Richard

The answer is simple........ if you don't have $$ tied up in Lenses and asscesories then stick with either Canon or Nikon. I'm a Canon guy, have been for 35 years (started with a FTB).

Check out www.dpreview.com for good reviews and advice.

good Luck !

What is your budget? I am a professional photographer and have used a fair share of cameras in my day. As many others have already stated, if your budget allows go for Canon (or a nice 30K Hasselblad if you really want to splurge, but probably totally unnecessary for your needs). Then depending on your budget and preferences go with a 30D, 5D, 1DmkII, or the newest 1DmkIII (which if you want speed, no other camera comes close).

Also, what do you want to do with the camera? For example, take family snapshots, pictures of your setup (for bragging rights ;) ), weddings, portraits, landscapes, Sports, events, fine art, etc.?

With this info we can probably pinpoint exactly what you need or might want.

Oh, about the budget, that is including lenses, flash, etc.

Excellent advice! That's why I come to you guys :bowdown:

So, I guess I was initially drawn to the Sony due to my past experience. The only things from Sony that I've ever been happy with is their XBR TV's, their cameras, and of course the PlayStation products. You guys are absolutely right about them screwing you after the sale. I want something that I can hold on to for years to come so the Canon is starting to look really good! I had planned on spending only $1000 including lenses/flash/etc but you know how that goes... the budget may need to be realigned. For now I'll primarily be using it to take family photos (and of course some shots of the system). I would like to get more in to photography in the near future so I would like an upgrade path.

It sounds like the Canon is the best choice, but it will require me to bump up the budget. So I guess the question is this: Do you guys think it is possible to get started in this for $1000 without limiting myself too much? I don't want to drop a G and then want to dump that camera next year.

Hi FatJ,

Nice to see me as the great gear photographer, but I'm still only a hobby guy.
If you want better pictures I agree that a digital SLR is the best choice.
What brand is not (that) important, but Canon is always a good start (biggest brand, lots of stuff and a great second hand market).
Just start with a cheap model camera, with the standard zoom-lens (a.k.a. kit-lens). For really sharp e crisp pictures you could buy a 50mm/1.8 lens (less than 100 bucks). Then start shooting, playing, trying, reading, posting on photo-forums and so on.

Explicit photographing your audio gear, may not as easy, because mostly the lack of (good) light. The use of a flash is not that easy if you are keen on good results, without the flash-reflection.
Sunlight in the room is the best, second to that is a cheap 1000 W Lamp, as used for construction work and available in any DIY-shop. Just aim it towards the ceiling and the whole room is lit.
And last but not least: the post-processing of the pictures on a PC.

I hope this was of some use!

Regards
Erry

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back