Emotiva XPA-2 / XPA-5 Amp

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kicks2

Reaction score
I have been researching the Emotiva XPA-2 / XPA-5 Amps.There are a few reviews online which indicate these are good sounding and quality products. Since I do not know any one who owns Emotiva I am unable to audition. Can anyone provide me their opinion on the quality and sound of theses amps? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Happy Holidays
kicks2

My only experience was this Oct @ RMAF anf I/we were listening to them driving their own line of speakers, which did not impress me. I was impressed in what I believed to be a very good build quality that I suspect gives them a real good performance to price ratio.

I'm pretty sure they have a 30 day audition period so if trully interested I'd take advantage of that.

Please use the search function or the google search function at the bottom of the main screen. This has been discussed before.

thanks!

ive been looking into their amps as well. i have yet to find a review that made me feel like the reviewer has had much quality gear to compare too, but i too find nothing but rave reviews.

My only experience was this Oct @ RMAF anf I/we were listening to them driving their own line of speakers, which did not impress me. I was impressed in what I believed to be a very good build quality that I suspect gives them a real good performance to price ratio.
their speakers havent gotten such great reviews, so i take this with a grain of salt. i would love to hear from a stat owner since they seem to be the most telling of upstream gear.

a good amp at that price seems to good to be true...

I am running an xpa-2 on sequel II and love it. It replaced an adcom gfa555II. the differenc was not suttle. Much better bass and highs. I realize the adcom is not quite top notch but for the money its hard to beat the emotiva.

my question is this- is it to much? i mean at a 4ohm load will it smoke my speakers? most folks say not unless i turn it up to loud, but im just simply worried. its like the perfect amp in my price range but to much wattage...always something.

my question is this- is it to much? i mean at a 4ohm load will it smoke my speakers? most folks say not unless i turn it up to loud, but im just simply worried. its like the perfect amp in my price range but to much wattage...always something.

There really is never too much power. Most speaker damage is caused by underpowered amplifiers and AVRs. Once the amp starts clipping, you've only got a few moments to protect your investment. I don't know how loud you listen, but when I'm hitting 5-10 watts consistently, the music is quite loud. I've run my system up to 500 watts one time. It hurt! You want some reserve power available for peaks in music or sound effects if you have a HT.

You control the loudness and you'll know when it is too loud. When it the sound falls apart, back it off, your reaching the point of no return. I certainly would not be afraid of putting a 200 watt amp on your speakers. Mine are rated to 250 and I have 500 watt amps.

If the EMO interests you, give it a try. I understand they have a generous return policy if you find you don't care for it.

Gordon

there is a devil sitting on my shoulder right now telling me your 100% correct. :devil:

Jimna, If you dig very deep at the EMO forum, you'll find a few people who have claimed to have owned other highly rated gear and preferred the EMO. At some other sites, EMO bashing is a hobby :( So it is difficult to get an unbiased opinion. You'll find there is no gear bashing permitted here. Perhaps difference of opinion, but nothing like other sites.

The only way to know for sure is take the leap!

Gordon

I can't remember where, in the EMO forum I saw this...and it has been along time, but I am fairly certain I remember that one of the clients they build for is for whomever makes the "Sunfire Amp." I did alot of investigation on that at one time, but I have slept and forgotten now. They keep who they build for pretty well hidden.

interesting, i did catch that they started out building amps for others, never a mention of who though...

i am finding an even amount of reviews regarding the associated gear now, with one theme - they all are positive, even those who own high quality gear.

Latest posts

Back