Emotiva Amp for ML ESL X

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

innocentfool

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am a new joiner to this website. I have just purchased a pair of ESL X, ESL C. I am planning to power them with Emotiva XPA-5 Gen3 5 Channel Audiophile Home Theater Power Amplifier. I also saw that they also have XPA-DR3 Differential Reference™ Three-Channel Power Amplifier. Which amp do you think is better ? I am okay with 3 channel or 5 channel but just need something with a good compatibility with eslx.

Thank you for your help.

Emotiva amps are definitely good. I had some XPA-100s and a XPA-3 Gen2 few years ago, definitely were awesome. Did they give a reason for the XPA-5 over XPA-DR3? I would go for the DR3 over an XPA-5 especially for the front 3 speakers.

Yes and actually that was the reason I called them. They said that dr3 historically had some issues in compatibility and XPA-5 May be the best option for electrostatic speakers. I will receive them tomorrow hopefully.

Look at 8ohm vs 4 ohm power for each channel and for all channels driven. 4ohm should be double or near double the power. Also, see if they say it will handle a 2ohm load. The ML ESLs can go down as low as 1ohm at 20KHz. Some amplifiers can't handle even a short duration load that low. Generally those the double the power as the load is cut in half have sufficient current to drive them fine. The rated impedance is 4 ohms but that is more of an average. Attached are a few impedance curves for various ML Electrostatics. Emotiva's specifications give 8 ohm power all channels driven but at 4 ohms only provide 2 channel rating. From reading their specifications on their web site I can't be sure how these will behave under a 2 ohm load. If you get clipping you can damage the ESLs.

Attachments

• 99Seqfig01.jpg
    99Seqfig01.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 912Montisfig1.jpg
    912Montisfig1.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 15
  • martin-logan-summit-x-impedance-phase-graph-300x215.gif
    martin-logan-summit-x-impedance-phase-graph-300x215.gif
    13.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Ml3fig1.jpg
    Ml3fig1.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 15
I have Motion 60XTi, 50XTi . Using Emotiva XPA7 Is this something I should be concerned about or does this only apply to the Electrostatics.

I have Motion 60XTi, 50XTi . Using Emotiva XPA7 Is this something I should be concerned about or does this only apply to the Electrostatics.

Only a concern for the electrostats because of their <1 ohm impedance dip.The 60XTi's are rated at 4 ohms. I had a pair of 60XT's that I ran for a couple years with an XPA2. No issues.

I have been running my classic esl 9 with an old emotiva a300 but I am also in the same decision boat as I want to upgrade. My plan was a dr2 for LR only but I recently was recommended to consider a rotel rb1582 mark 2 from one of the members. I am pretty inclined in that direction as well as rotel may just be a better kit. I do know the xpa2 or 3 Gen 2 are a good go to option with many.

Last edited:
No problem with my XPA7 Gen 3. Dead silent No hum etc..

Latest posts

Back