EM-FX2 overkill!?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NLaudiophile

Reaction score
Looking for some opinions on surrounds and rear surrounds. I currently have EM-ESLs for the fronts, C2 centre and 2 EM-FX2s up on the wall for surrounds, and the Dynamo 700 sub. I'm looking to add the rear channels. I picked up a set of Klipsch RS4200b just to hear the 7.1 in action. Sounds great. The sound is surprisingly good from the Klipsch but the build of the speaker is no match. Is it worth the extra $1000 it will cost to get another set of fx2s instead of the klipsch?

Having said all that, I returned to the store and they had 1 fx2 in stock. I bought it home and hung it on the wall. I can't seem to hear a huge difference. I have a klipsch on one side and the ML on the other. Should I focus that money on other components (2nd sub and amp which I need)? Would having 2 fx2s for rears be an overkill?

Trust your ears. Not worth the money to spend a bunch on the FX when you can't tell a difference. Rears not that important anyway. Money much better spent on second sub.

Does it matter if the surrounds and rears are not matched? The sensitivity are about the same but the ohms and max watts are different. The fx2 are rated at 5ohms with max 200watts, the klipsch are 8 with 75watts

I'm not going to lie, I'm foggy on the whole ohms and watts stuff. I've been reading lots of material but not really getting a complete understanding of it. My receiver, The Onkyo 818, has an option for 4 or 6. According to the manual if any speakers are below 6 I should select 4ohms. I'm using all MLs as listed above. I'm certain I need to get a power amp because the ML ESLs dip to 1.6 ohms apparently.

Anyway I'm gone off topic but any help is appreciated.

I've tried the fx2 when I had a pair of Theos. As far as surrounds go, the fx2 is okay, but they're no ESLs. I sold my fx2s a while back and I've gone back to 2 channel. Unless you're going the whole hog with surround and buy matching esl panels for the back, just use anything. Mix and match is not ideal but as long as it works, you'll be fine.

The Klipsch speakers are a great choice for rears. Another inexpensive but really good speaker to try for surrounds is the Pioneer SP-BS22LR - incredible bookshelf speakers for the money.

Last edited:
Have been doing some critical listening and there's a clear difference in the fx2 and the klipsch I purchased. There's much more depth and clarity in the fx2s. Having said that, it's heard with the volume up listening to music on all channel stereo. During movies, they are rears, and there's really not much difference. So I'm stuck in the middle, do I keep them for the music or just stick with the movies. Either way I go, I have 2 questions,

1) I currently have a Dynamo 700 and will pick up a second sub. Do they have to match? What about the dynamo 1000 or just a completely diff brand? Looking at approx $1200 budget for a second sub.

2)when listening to music in 2 channel, I need to turn the volume way up to hear it at just moderate levels, yet when surrounds and rears are activated, volume is well up. I'm using an onkyo 818, rated at 135w per ch. set at 4 ohms. Do I need a separate 2ch power amp to drive the ESLs? Currently, with surrounds and rears set at -10db and fronts are at 0, they are being overpowered. I would think that the towers would be the speakers driving most of the sound. Thoughts?

Amazon/Audio Advisor have the black Depth I on sale for $1,499. It is a heck of a deal.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back