?? Duties/customs/broker fees with International purchases

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepysurf

Reaction score
I'm curious if anybody here has ever purchased used gear from Canada (or another International eBay site), and knows how to determine what, if any, additional duties or customs/brokerage fees might be levied, in addition to shipping? I called UPS to inquire, but they couldn't give me a straight answer, nor could the prospective Seller, as they said it depends on the "Class" of merchandise being sold, and other unpredictable variables. When I ordered my XTZ Room Analyzer (from Sweden), I got stuck with an exorbitant broker fee, which added 25% to my cost, and I don't ever want to go through that again!

The best people to ask are those at US Customs. They can also tell you the documentation requirements to avoid paying some duties under NAFTA (assuming the seller can provide them). They can tell you what class the merchandise you're thinking of buying fits into, and therefore what taxes and duties may be payable.

The broker fee depends on which broker you use.

I live in Canada and have bought a fair bit off of audiogon.Do not use UPS, Fed ex, etc as the brokerage fee's are out of this world. To buy from Canada, insist on the seller shipping by Canada Post and you won't have crazy fee's.

I only buy from the US if the seller uses USPS, no crazy fee's. I had something arrive last week by USPS, no duties or brokerage.The US dealer I bought the item from wasn't surprised I insisted on shipping by USPS. He said all Canadian buyers ask this to advoid the ups outrageous fee's for brokerage.Canada Post is the only way to go for you guy's.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Unfortunately, the item exceeds the Canada Post weight limit, so I'd need to use an International freight shipper. Turns out, the Seller is uninterested in filling out necessary paperwork or otherwise helping expedite the transaction, so he's lost the sale.

Last edited:
When I wanted to ship an amplifier to the U.S. I took it to Fedex, and when they found out that I did not have a Fedex account or broker, the only way they would take the parcel would be if I agreed to pay all brokerage fees and taxes, but they could not tell me what those fees and taxes would be. Talk about signing a blank cheque ! I used Canada Post/USPS instead - cheaper than Fedex, no brokerage fees, and I was even able to insure the stuff.

When I wanted to ship an amplifier to the U.S. I took it to Fedex, and when they found out that I did not have a Fedex account or broker, the only way they would take the parcel would be if I agreed to pay all brokerage fees and taxes, but they could not tell me what those fees and taxes would be. Talk about signing a blank cheque ! I used Canada Post/USPS instead - cheaper than Fedex, no brokerage fees, and I was even able to insure the stuff.

That's my issue. Even if I'm willing to cover (or in this case SPLIT) the costs, the Seller has to be responsible for arranging shipping, and handling the paperwork for customs/taxes/broker fees (if any), rather than telling the buyer to deal with it. Fortunately I didn't commit to buying until I investigated further. Live and learn!

Last edited:
BTW, the maximum you can insure something with Canada Post is CDN $1000, which was not sufficient in this case.

Thanks guys. Unfortunately, the item exceeds the Canada Post weight limit, so I'd need to use an International freight shipper. Turns out, the Seller is uninterested in filling out necessary paperwork or otherwise helping expedite the transaction, so he's lost the sale.

You've got that right! It would have been a nightmare for you to arrange shipping, of course, something he should have considered. I work for U.S. Customs, so I can confirm that the postal services of each country is better to ship with than the private couriers. The postal services have already accounted for many of the costs involved. The downside is that, as alluded to above in another post, the postal services have more limitations such as weight, size, where they will deliver to, etc.

When using Canada Post to ship from Canada, use a Canada Post office, not an outlet located in a drug store, etc, as the outlets are allowed to charge you a handling fee in addition to the Canada Post charge.

BTW this thread is in the wrong section of the forum.

I purchased a preamp once from an Agoner in Canada, he shipped it Canadian Post for about $24 USD, no additional fees added.

Yes - this IS the big mystery isn't it? I live in Michigan about 20 minutes from the border - and I went on a trip in canada - went to a place where they had a really nice dining room table for about 4K canadian - and at the time - was going to get my 30% discount cuz of the exchange rate... So, I asked - how much is this going to cost to get it to the states...and ...you guessed it....NOBODY KNEW!!! I mean what the hell?????

My brother bought his bryston amp (all canadian made) - and had it shipped back ... and it sat for weeks at the border... No fees because the product was made in canada... I think that is the rule?? Maybe someone else knows for sure... but there was all of this BS at the border - as if nobody ever ships packages in and out of Canada to the States... You feel like you are writing a blank check don't you?

but there was all of this BS at the border - as if nobody ever ships packages in and out of Canada to the States... You feel like you are writing a blank check don't you?
Considering how much stuff goes across the border in both directions you would think that they would simplify the process. But then I guess the customs brokers have strong lobby groups in government on both sides.

Yes - this IS the big mystery isn't it? I live in Michigan about 20 minutes from the border - and I went on a trip in canada - went to a place where they had a really nice dining room table for about 4K canadian - and at the time - was going to get my 30% discount cuz of the exchange rate... So, I asked - how much is this going to cost to get it to the states...and ...you guessed it....NOBODY KNEW!!! I mean what the hell?????

My brother bought his bryston amp (all canadian made) - and had it shipped back ... and it sat for weeks at the border... No fees because the product was made in canada... I think that is the rule?? Maybe someone else knows for sure... but there was all of this BS at the border - as if nobody ever ships packages in and out of Canada to the States... You feel like you are writing a blank check don't you?

That might have been because of NAFTA rules.

Considering how much stuff goes across the border in both directions you would think that they would simplify the process. But then I guess the customs brokers have strong lobby groups in government on both sides.

Believe me, the simpler it gets, the more revenue is lost. It is a constant give-and-take.

Back