Does Silver Conductive Paint work for panel diaphragm?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like my picture not show up...
Anyone can tell me how to upload the picture?
This thread want me to upload from URL, but I don't understand it...

Last edited:
Well done on fixing your ESLs!

You can attach images by clicking on 'Go Advanced' and then 'Manage Attachments.'

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-06-26 at 11.04.59 .jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-06-26 at 11.04.59 .jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 104
Popular DIY diaphragm coatings:

Licron Crystal ESD (8 oz aerosol spray can) $50 with shipping. Apply one coat "just wet" works perfectly.
May not be available in some countries due to flammability / can't ship air freight.

Stat Clear - water based spray bottle, non-flammable, reported to work well but I've not personally tried it.

Any liquid dish washing liquid mixed 50/50 with water, wipe on circular pattern with a cotton ball. It has ideal resistance, works perfectly but attracts dust and adhesive tape won't stick to it.

Hola. First of all, the silver paint must be placed exact where the peeled one inch red cable will be touching the diaphragm. No other coating must be use. The diaphragm is an atom level vapor deposited with a special adhesive. There is no way, unless you use the same way, to make this plastic diaphragm to be conductive again. If you use a different material, conductive way to make it to sing again, you might change their sound and efficiency. On the other hand, If you decided to buy, you get two brand new panels, and also you get, from their serial number, the five year Martin Logan warranty. If any problem arise with those panels, the factory will replace them free of charge. On the other hand, yes, it is expensive. Also, you are right. The speakers are 21 years old. It is time to think to replace them or re-panel them. Just my thoughts: I will have again, the sound of my Aerius as new! Will have a warranty with the same as a brand new product for the panels only. Difficult decision. Happy listening.
Roberto is right. there are many obstacles. getting the stators apart, in a condition that keeps their viability and return to tight tolerances is almost impossible. the uniformity and thinness of the advanced formula of the coating and its application process (vacuum chamber) and its over coat, under tension. The safe removal of, and right materials of the spars on to the film- daunting at least. All of the many exacting steps are just too many to write of. They are what made your panels work as well and last as long. A current version from ML in Lawrence replacement is even better. if you want to have fun and prove what I'm saying great, enjoy the adventure - but don't expect to have anything that resembles the intended performance of a ML panel. I know it's not cheap to get the new ones, even with a warranty. (They should last way longer than original) maybe best thing is to look for newer gen used pair, where you know the provenance. if you love the OG form factor of yours, and do replace the panel's, sadly, you need to replace both.

Hi Guys,

I have Aerius with dead panel due to age and have several plan like purchase new panel or purchase the repair kit.
Before I do my plan, I think no harm for me try to repair by myself and did some experiment with my dead panel.
I did read a lot of article in this forum and from others how to coat the diaphragm.
I can't find transparent conductive liquid in my country buy I did found someone sell the Silver Conductive Paint from Electrolube and from Leitsilbher (L100) with grey color (not transparent)
They sell very cheap $25 for Electrolube and $19 for L100.
I'm wondering if any of you have the experience doing re-coating use silver conductive paint.
Does it work well with ML diaphragm?
Thanks in advance for all of your information.
Cheers.
There are and have long been active ESL DIY forums. Silver conductive paint is a common material for making contact with the ESL diaphragm or in some cases, making stator plates made from insulating material conductive. But not for coating the entire diaphragm, which would impart far too much mass to be useful. I think that's what OP meant. One of the most popular coating materials for amateur ESL builders' diaphragms is graphite powder--best applied as evenly as possible, with frequent checks with an ohm meter.

Also, ESL construction can indeed be fun in its own right, but I doubt the techniques used to make a ML curved ESL panel are accessible to many amateur builders They are bound together with a glue that I can't begin to know how to take apart, though the guy frequently recommended here for panel repairs probably does. I'm surprised his name hasn't come up yet. You would also need a really big ion deposition chamber.

Recommended reading includes "Electrostatic Loudspeaker: Design and Construction" by Ronald Wagner, and "The Electrostatic Loudspeaker Design Cookbook" by Roger Sanders.

Sure, if your only option appears to be replace the panel, you have nothing to lose.

There are and have long been active ESL DIY forums. Silver conductive paint is a common material for making contact with the ESL diaphragm or in some cases, making stator plates made from insulating material conductive. But not for coating the entire diaphragm, which would impart far too much mass to be useful. I think that's what OP meant. One of the most popular coating materials for amateur ESL builders' diaphragms is graphite powder--best applied as evenly as possible, with frequent checks with an ohm meter.

Also, ESL construction can indeed be fun in its own right, but I doubt the techniques used to make a ML curved ESL panel are accessible to many amateur builders They are bound together with a glue that I can't begin to know how to take apart, though the guy frequently recommended here for panel repairs probably does. I'm surprised his name hasn't come up yet. You would also need a really big ion deposition chamber.

Recommended reading includes "Electrostatic Loudspeaker: Design and Construction" by Ronald Wagner, and "The Electrostatic Loudspeaker Design Cookbook" by Roger Sanders.

Sure, if your only option appears to be replace the panel, you have nothing to lose.
Russ Knotts, that's the guy. I wouldn't think about trying to rebuild a panel without contacting him first.

Russ Knotts, that's the guy. I wouldn't think about trying to rebuild a panel without contacting him first.
He told me what coating he uses but I can't remember. He discussed it with me in detail but my crappy memory doesn't recall. He would probably be willing to share with others still.

FYI.... I have a pair of original SL3 panels, free to anyone who would pay the shipping from Long Beach, CA.

FYI.... I have a pair of original SL3 panels, free to anyone who would pay the shipping from Long Beach, CA.

Wow.. someone should jump on that offer real quick. I already have more ESLs than amps to drive them with (3 pairs).

When I changed over to wire stators I gave away three sets of perf-metal panels for the cost of shipping. UPS destroyed one pair and I ended up taking a loss on the shipping (I packed them so I took responsibility).

A word of caution: Pack those panels to withstand a nuclear blast because those guys at UPS/FEDX/USPS don't play nice with packages.

When you say "original" you mean ones you had to replace or new ones that never got used? If the latter, I'll grab 'em

I might even have an empty box I can ship to you to pack 'em in, come to think about it! Can't afford this right now, but I want my SL3's to last as long as I do!!!

Russ

Hello, I can also recommend Ross Knotts. He reconditioned my monolith iii panels about five years ago and they sounded great. The only difference is his coating on the panels makes the panels less transparent. He is approximately half price of what Martin Logan charges for new panels except of the shipping charge to get the panels to him. Hope this helps!

Hello, I can also recommend Ross Knotts. He reconditioned my monolith iii panels about five years ago and they sounded great. The only difference is his coating on the panels makes the panels less transparent. He is approximately half price of what Martin Logan charges for new panels except of the shipping charge to get the panels to him. Hope this helps!
If you're not too far from him, you can deliver them personally, that's what I ended up doing. He's good to deal with.

Back