Disassembling Summit X for shipment ?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geeji

Reaction score
I want to buy some second-hands Summit X, but the owner has not kept the original packaging.
Considering the weight and size of the Summit, there is a very high risk of damage during transport.
I was wondering if there was some easy way to disassemble the bass section from the electrostatic radiators, which would likely minimize damages risks.
Looked at the Summit X User Manual, found nothing.
Any Summit X owner with such disassembling experience ?

personally, I would not ship them in anything other than what M/L intended them to be shipped in. Perhaps new boxes can be obtained from M/L ?

Detaching panel from bass unit is definitely not intended for end-users therefore I am not surprised that you can not find this procedure in User Manual. But it doesn't mean it is not doable...

Assuming that Summit X are similar to Summit - you will have to remove bass unit top cover and then unplug electrical wires supplying panel (note colors and locations). Then you have to unscrew metal tab which holds panel to bass unit and do the same from bottom side of the panel. The best is to do this when you put your Summits on side.

And be careful when disconnecting wires from panel module as panel can hold charge for pretty long time. So the best would be to leave speakers unplugged over the night (or even longer) in order to avoid any electrical shock.

I want to buy some second-hands Summit X, but the owner has not kept the original packaging.
Considering the weight and size of the Summit, there is a very high risk of damage during transport.
I was wondering if there was some easy way to disassemble the bass section from the electrostatic radiators, which would likely minimize damages risks.
Looked at the Summit X User Manual, found nothing.
Any Summit X owner with such disassembling experience ?

Are you transporting - or is a shipper handling that? My brother recently moved his ascents. He bought a big chunk of 4” or 6” thick foam for each and laid them out on them. Successful transport. I can find a pic if you want it

Detaching panel from bass unit is definitely not intended for end-users therefore I am not surprised that you can not find this procedure in User Manual. But it doesn't mean it is not doable
Thanks for the disassembling instructions, it definitely looks doable TO ME, when transporting my own MLs from one location to another.
But I am a bit dubious a seller would attempt to do that before packing his own unit and shipping it to a second-hands buyer.
Too many chances of something going wrong.
Too bad...

Are you transporting - or is a shipper handling that? My brother recently moved his ascents. He bought a big chunk of 4” or 6” thick foam for each and laid them out on them. Successful transport. I can find a pic if you want it
A shipper will be handling that, but I will not be the one sending, but the one receiving.
Quality of packaging and handling will thus be unknown.

Using the original ML packaging definitely looks like the only fool-proof option (?), but you do have to have kept them...

ML boxes can be flattened. Remove all the guts, flatten the box, stack the 3 packing foams per box on edge (about 4" thick), and find a place for the triangle tube. Store the flat box under a mattress sealed in plastic.

Geeji: I recently contacted ml for summit boxes and was told that they were no longer available and to have someone make them for me. Which I have no idea who to contact! Good luck if u find where to find them please let me know. Thank u.

Back