Digital Camera

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtwrace

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a point & shoot digital camera for my wife. She will be using it to just take pics of rooms and stuff. Can you guys recommend one that will do a great job and not break the bank? There are soooo many I just don't know where to turn for advice other then here. HELP!!!

I have always had good luck with the Canon Powershot series. I have had the S100 and bought my daughter a A710IS for Christmas. Take a look at the SD630 or the A560.

As a former professional photographer that shot Nikon film gear, I'll recommend Canon too (that threw you :) ).

I think that Canon just does digital better than Nikon at the moment, both in high-end and consumer cameras. The Canon DIGICs processors are some of the fastest on the market, resulting in higher continuous shooting speed and in higher initial startup speed. The latter is important if you have your camera turned off and something interesting happens that you need to shoot right now.

I also put my money where my mouth is - when I went digital awhile back, I switched to Canon, meaning I couldn't carry forward any of my old Nikon lenses.

I highly recommend the Panasonic Lumix series. They use Leica lens and they build the camera and electronics for some of the digital Leicas. I am also a Nikon film camera and lens owner. They mostly sit in the closet now. I some times wonder what I should do with them. ;)

Brad

i have a canon sd-950 and am very happy with it. Kodak also makes good digital cameras that are very easy to operate and take great photos.

Not to carry a theme here, but two roommates have had Cannon P&S in teh 4-6 Mpixel range that take much better pics than my $400 10X optical zoom Kodak, especially indoors. The Kodak's available, btw... I'm getting a Cannon.

One more Canoneer here. I currently have 3, analog and digital. The one which is almost always with me is the 800IS.

What sets this camera apart from most other small digitals is the 28mm equivalent wide angle which is mandatory for taking room pictures, IMO. On the downside, there is noticable barrel distortion at the wide end of the zoom range, but that can be corrected in software if need be. Also, while the Canon sensor is less noisy than Panasonic's at ISO200 and up, it is too noisy for my tastes, so I keep the ISO setting at 100. The optical image stabilizer allows me to shoot in real low light anyway. The auto-focus can be slow at times. But overall this camera is a little gem. What I lament most is that the 800IS does not have the Titanium case of the SD550 and other top-line Powershots.

I'm in the market for a digital camera also. One important feature that has been a major irritant in previous digitals I've used is the long delay afgter pressing the shutter. I've missed way too many good shots because of shutter delay.

Any of the higher end Powershots are going to do good things for you.

If she gets serious eventually she may want a DSLR and a wide-angled lens. I ain't know :)

I highly recommend the Panasonic Lumix series. They use Leica lens and they build the camera and electronics for some of the digital Leicas. I am also a Nikon film camera and lens owner. They mostly sit in the closet now. I some times wonder what I should do with them. ;)

Brad

+1 on the Lumix line.

But almost regardless of brand, make sure you get one with optical image stabilization. This has to be THE most usefull feature on small point and shoots. Espacially since many have no viewfinder and force you to hold the camer away from your body to view the LCD, which makes 'shake' more pronounced.

+1 on the Lumix line.

But almost regardless of brand, make sure you get one with optical image stabilization. This has to be THE most usefull feature on small point and shoots. Espacially since many have no viewfinder and force you to hold the camer away from your body to view the LCD, which makes 'shake' more pronounced.

Make it Plus 2 - it's the only camera I use anymore becuase of the picture quality, lens quality and ease of use. Great camera. I paid $399 I think for mine, but I saw it at Costco a while back for $249! :mad:

I use a Sony because I got it at a nice disount through work. Otherwise I would have picked up a Canon. :) Sony does make nice cameras as well though, dont get me wrong. I am happy with my DSCP100.

I'm in the market for a digital camera also. One important feature that has been a major irritant in previous digitals I've used is the long delay afgter pressing the shutter. I've missed way too many good shots because of shutter delay.

Try one of the digital SLRs. They do not have the delay that the P&S camera do. I use a Canon 20D and love it. Depending on budget or needs you may want to consider the Canon Rebel XTi (value), or 5D (features & quality).

Thanks for all the input. I bought her a Panasonic TZ3

I use a Sony because I got it at a nice disount through work. Otherwise I would have picked up a Canon. :) Sony does make nice cameras as well though, dont get me wrong. I am happy with my DSCP100.

a day late and a dollar short, the story of my life, but I will still add my 2 cents. I found that the Sony DSC-S85 used on Ebay goes for $100-125 and is a helluva value for the money (it was $700 just a few years ago). Built like a tank and shoots a very nice picture as well.

Latest posts

Back