Descent phase settings....?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tj Bassi

Reaction score
Somewheres I read that the proper subwoofer phase control setting is the point at which the sub's output is the loudest. Is this particulary true?

I just set up a new (although temporary) audio room focused on two-channel playback. We are using a pair of reQuests teamed up with a pair of Descents (original, not the newer i) located at the front corners of the room.

Starting at phase setting "0" my subs seem weak and disconnected from the music. At 90 they are better but the bass rolls off too quick. 180 seems to give the best bottom end support without getting muddy, which happens at 270.

My general thought was "OK, so 180 it is", but is choosing phase settings that simple?

Thanks-
Tj

Somewheres I read that the proper subwoofer phase control setting is the point at which the sub's output is the loudest. Is this particulary true?

I just set up a new (although temporary) audio room focused on two-channel playback. We are using a pair of reQuests teamed up with a pair of Descents (original, not the newer i) located at the front corners of the room.

Starting at phase setting "0" my subs seem weak and disconnected from the music. At 90 they are better but the bass rolls off too quick. 180 seems to give the best bottom end support without getting muddy, which happens at 270.

My general thought was "OK, so 180 it is", but is choosing phase settings that simple?

Thanks-
Tj

I used the Velodyne SMS-1 to parallel output to the Summit's sub and the Descent i one day recently. Setting the phase was easy as you can see the bass response on the screen. Simply select the phase setting on the Descent i which gives the maximum and even response.

In general, I wouldn't place the Descent i in a corner though. Best place I found to be a third of the way along the length of the room near the wall. Gives the flattest response. But that's in my 22' x 15' room.

Latest posts

Back