Crossover cap recomendations?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjcarr

Reaction score
First off, this ain't for Logans...it's for my Apogees...:)

I want to upgrade the crossover components on my Centaurs, but since the question is more about caps I thought it useful to post here. The crossover requires 3x20mfd caps per speaker (minimum) so my old route of Hovland or Auri caps isn't practical. So I'm looking for impressions of other capacitors.

I've used Solens and consider them an excellent value for the money, but not quite as good as what I'd like to use.

I'm considering:
Sonicaps
Dayton Metalized 1% Polypropylene
Jantzen Superior caps

Anybody have input/recommendations? I need to keep the cost of each cap under $30 to make it a cost-effective upgrade. Any experience with these or recommendations for other cost-effective caps?

I have had a lot of success with Black Gate caps in my DAC - the improvement was astounding after they got burned in. I recently replaced crossover electolytics in my ML SL3s with Black Gates, but it is too early to tell if they make any difference at all. At least the sound did not get degraded.

I had always assumed that Black Gates where for power supply upgrades. Where did you get crossover-type Black Gates? I'd like to check them out.

I've had very good results with Solen bypassed with small MIT caps, though that was strictly with conventional loudspeakers.

- Jason

I'll probably open up the SL3s at some point and change the capacitors that are in the signal path.

Does anyone know what the best source would be in the UK?

Latest posts

Back