Cleaning Tube Preamps

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Satch

Reaction score
I'm doing a little re-arranging with my stereo system and want to clean everything real good before I put it back together. I was wondering if any of you more experienced stereophiles could give me some good advice and helpful pointers for cleaning Tube Preamps (Cary SLP 98P). Should I clean the tube pins and sockets? With what? Should I take the cover off of the Ayre V-5xe and vacuum dust?

I vacuum the panels about every other month and try to keep everything as dust free as possible.

What should I NOT do?

Ray

Ray, do you have a CAIG Deoxit 'survial kit' ? if not, given your location in Fla I'm guessing salt air and it's corrosive and oxidation issues need to be addressed.

Clean the pins (Caig Pro gold and a Q-tip) but leave the sockets alone. You may actually end up spreading the socket contacts and making a worse connection than before. Removing the tubes and replacing them will remove any oxidation in the sockets w/o the risk of actually cleaning them. I prefer canned air, I'd hate to vacuum something off the board:ROFL:

If the Ayre is not dirty or dusty I wouldn't touch it on the inside. If you do then use a can of compressed air to gently blow out the dust. Don't use a vacuum, you could risk a chance of an electrostatic spark damaging a sensitive electrical part or touch a charged capacitor (even though it's unplugged).

Many Cary Amps/Preamps are painted with car paint. I would carefully give the exterior areas a polish with a good quality car wax. Be sure to use the kind that doesn't leave white residue in the crevices and use a microfiber towel. It's also a good idea to tape over the tube sockets when waxing the painted surfaces to keep debris out of them. The wax will keep it shining for a long time and once it's waxed the dust will easily come right off with a feather duster.

Finish off with cleaning off the connections with Deoxit cleaner and conditioner as previously mentioned. A pipe cleaner is helpful but don't push it into the socket holes. May as well clean the cable connections while your at it.

You might want to use white gloves to pick up the amp but be careful since it will be slippery once it's been waxed and with some Caig cleaner on it.

I avoid cleaning any tube pins and contacts after reading that all of the cleaners gum/gunk up with the heat a tube puts out. All the cleaners are designed for non-heated applications. The ordeal people go through to clean up the mess is huge pain in the butt from what I've read. Lots of people kicking themselves.

I forget which forum I read this in, perhaps it was the TubeAsylum.

If it's not broke, don't fix it.

I avoid cleaning any tube pins and contacts after reading that all of the cleaners gum/gunk up with the heat a tube puts out. All the cleaners are designed for non-heated applications.
I've noticed that too on my McIntosh. I've used cleaners/preservatives in the past and I've found the same issue. When I get it ready for sale, I'll be thoroughly cleaning pins & sockets. 3M adhesive remover works very well as it leaves no oils behind. Or a general electronic parts cleaner, either way. Hint: clean the sockets with those little tapered dental brushes found at the drug store, and VERY carefully clean the contacts. They're small enough that they won't distort the metal.

The manual that came with my PrimaLuna CDP states specifically that you should not use any treatment on tube pins or sockets.

Latest posts

Back