Christmas Music...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I for one, plan on purchasing some of the recomendations made on this thread so far. My collection is limited to two CDs that were given to my by my Real Estate agent a few years ago. Neither CD covers give credit to any artists but I have enjoyed listening to them for a couple of seasons now. They do say "Carpenter GMAC Real Estate" on them. In fact, we played them while we put the tree up yesterday and they sounded better than ever coming from the MLs for the first time! :D

Jim Reeves
Twelve Songs of Christmas

Excellent classic Christmas album.

I would like to second the Jim Reeves album as well. This has been one of my favorite Christmas albums (CDs) for over thirty years. I am a little surprised, I guess I shouldn't be, to find another fan here. Jim's voice and the arrangements cover the standards about as well as they can be, Silent Night is especially good. One reason I have loved this album for so long is the perhaps overly sentimental, but I think beautiful "An Old Christmas Card". It was frequently played during Christmas during the late 60s early 70s in Tennessee. Even Senior Santa Claus is a nice departure from the standard Christmas selection. The only thing missing is "Snowflake".

As far back as my memories of Christmas go, my Grandpa and Grandma were playing it. That probably goes back to the mid 70's for me. That was our main stay album over the years. Back then, it played on the 8 track so it cycled over and over. I think I had a copy on tape left over from the 80's. About 10 years ago, I was looking for it on CD and found that it was out of print in the U.S.. I had to import 2 copies from South Africa then. I'm sure you could get a hold of it on EBAY now. In my opinion, this album should rank up there with Bing's White Christmas.
I'm not familiar with the Snowflake song. What album can I find that on?

Tustin Dave said:
I would like to second the Jim Reeves album as well.

Gomer Pyle can really sing....and now that you mention it, his Christmas stuff was great.

If you mean Jim Nabors, I never cared for his singing. If you look at "allmusic.com" the Jim Reeves Christmas album was given 4.5 stars. I have about 700 CDs, about 100 of them are country. I would say that it is unfortunate that someone completely dismisses one genre of music out of hand. It is most likely their loss.

I have "Snowflake" on a Jim Reeves compilation. I don't know where else it might be, you could probably find it on "allmusic.com". It is a bright bubbly song that was also played frequently in the late 60s, early 70s.

Robin said:
Hey guys, what would you recommend for wonderful, 'Chrismas / Holiday Music'?

I have some excellent music, but I would like some more..., :D
Possibly for gifts... :D

Cheers

-Robin

While rumaging through the used $1 LP bins I found 2 great XMAS Selections:

Please Come Home For Christmas - Charles Brown; Bluesy,gospelly, groovey Hamand B-3 organ-isy!

Mistletoe Majic - Holiday Jazz Improvisations - Great holiday Jazz.

Time to pull out my other Xmas LP's and CD's. Geeze, its been quite a while since I had a CD/DVD playing hook up in my ML system.

Holiday Jazz Improvisations...

jjqiv said:
While rumaging through the used $1 LP bins I found 2 great XMAS Selections:

Please Come Home For Christmas - Charles Brown; Bluesy,gospelly, groovey Hamand B-3 organ-isy!

Mistletoe Majic - Holiday Jazz Improvisations - Great holiday Jazz.

Time to pull out my other Xmas LP's and CD's. Geeze, its been quite a while since I had a CD/DVD playing hook up in my ML system.
jjqiv,

Thank you for these classic recommendations... :D I hope, I can find these on CD.

Cheers

-Robin

Beautiful....

One of the best I've ever heard ....

Oscars Mottetkör
Cantate Domino
PRSACD 7762 (Hybrid SACD), PRCD 7762 (CD)
Proprius

Diana Krall Christmas Songs...

I received the new Diana Krall CD, "Christmas Songs - featuring the Clayton / Hamilton Jazz Orchestra". To my knowledge this is Diana Krall's first Christmas CD... :D It is great! It even has "What Are You Doing New Year's Eve" which is wonderful... :D

Cheers

-Robin

Robin said:
I received the new Diana Krall CD, "Christmas Songs - featuring the Clayton / Hamilton Jazz Orchestra". To my knowledge this is Diana Krall's first Christmas CD... :D It is great! It even has "What Are You Doing New Year's Eve" which is wonderful... :D

Cheers

-Robin
"Ditto" that Robin, I heard it as well at friends house the other nite. I try to add one new each season, I'll be looking for that one !!

Happy New Year !

Back