Check out the new python thick mains cables

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did that, and I did so because of the title of the thread.

I quote - "Very best/finest mains cable on the planet?".

That's not unreasonable, is it?
That you did, Adam, but that was because you focussed only on the title of the thread. The first post specified that the thread originator was trying to roll his own, which precluded Nordost.

My sense guys, based on auditioning PC's on all my gear over time, is that the best bang for the buck is to try in the following order:

1) Source component(s).

2) Preamp.

3) Amplifier.

4) For ML's, the speaker.

Seems to track with what component(s) is / are most sensitive (read most audible) to justify trying after market PC's within the context of it's contribution to the total / aggregate sound of your system.

I'm not saying that the amp / PC interface is insignificant but that you will be able to hear its audible impact more clearly after you have replaced the stock PC cords in your source / preamp components.

I use the Cardas Gold Reference ($500 / ea.) for my amplifier and PLC, which plug into a dedicated 20 amp AC outlet, Shunyata Venom ($99 / each) for my Summits, which are also plugged into another dedicated AC outlet, and Mapleshade PC's ($300 / ea.) for my CDP and preamp.

Rich has previously posted about the positive impact of the Signal Cable PC's he installed on his Summits and I have no doubt regarding his observations.

The main variable is how transparent your system is, which will effectively dictate how audible a PC will be.

My gut, when all is said and done, is that each individual system will respond differently to after market PC's. All that matters is that the individual hears a positive musical difference that justifies the product cost.

GG

My sense guys, based on auditioning PC's on all my gear over time, is that the best bang for the buck is to try in the following order:

1) Source component(s).

2) Preamp.

3) Amplifier.

4) For ML's, the speaker.

GG

Hey Gordon,

I find that this order changes based on the quality of the design of the power supply of the component. However, if one is using a power conditioner with their setup, that would be the first place I would place the new power cord.

Also, I ditto everyone's comments about Shunyata. I have heard over a dozen different power cords in my system, including some that cost more than a pair of Logans, and the entry Shunyata CX line power cord, blows them all away.

Enjoy the music

OK thanks for that. Just had a look on the DH Labs website, their RED WAVE model certainly looks like a serious piece of kit, good looking too.
The Red Wave's are nice (I own one). In the same price range (list price), I like the Black Mamba HC CX, and the older Taipan Helix Alpha better - just my opinion.

For DH Labs, try out their Power Plus cable first. The Red Wave does sound better, but not 3x better IMO. You can also get different connectors from DH Labs if you want - just contact Darin.

One of the better "steals" is a used Shunyata Python (Alpha Helix or CX) - but they do not last long on Audiogon or other sale sites.

Like another post here, I too used many different PC's and settled on DH Labs and Shunyata for my choices.

Dan, wow you really got your panties in a bunch here after some guys on here that know alot about audio were trying to give you advice on (not) buying a counterfeit / fake / imitation inferior product... This was entertaining to read with a good bottle of chardonnay... Kind of remided me of the rants in the past with "Mantana" and the other guy with all the ML gear and a sick mother etc...

You may just want to stick with your stock power cords, or use the funds you were going to spend on snake oil to improve something else in your system. Just sayin'

You may just want to stick with your stock power cords, or use the funds you were going to spend on snake oil to improve something else in your system. Just sayin'

My thoughts exactly. I'm not saying that -sometimes- "snake oil" makes a positive difference, but you'll most certainly get a better difference if you invest in a real upgrade!

As I did mention in my introduction, I gave almost each and everything a try. I did a lot of testing with different PC, cable-end sleeves and tin solder. I do like the Shunyata´s, but ended up with DIY.

For me, Supra´s LoRad 3x2.5 Mains Cable is best value for a reasonable price. Configured with IeGo or Oyade Rhodium plugs and pure OCC Copper end sleeves it is almost unbeatable. Sounds warm, very detailed and absolutely clear.

Together with a Vibex Rhodium Power Block this has been one of the major improvements in my setup.

Johann

I can't understand why someone who is simply trying to save a few dollars on some mains cables is getting such a hard time here. After all it's just the mains cable, area nothing else

you are getting a hard time because you are entering the realm of RELIGION for some audio enthusiasts. When you enter religous discussions you ultimately run up against those who have a vested interest is your agreement with thier perspective so that they can then get some external validation of thier own personal beliefs which fly in the face of reason straight into leaps of faith.

Just like any other religion the believers will fabricate statistics and intermingle them with anecdotal evidence and call it scientific proof.

You made people uncomfortable in thier justifications. You challenged thier balance and therefore denied them the external validation they require to hold steadfast to thier beliefs. This makes people uncomfotable.

In the end it is all about what you hear...or what you think you hear.. or what you can justify based on what you think you can hear... whatever.. make yourself happy with your system and dont ask people for opinions on stuff they have never had exposure to.

you can always count on a huge argument when it comes to wire! not so much on speaker placement, room acoustics, or media types.

my .02$

Last edited:
you are getting a hard time because you are entering the realm of RELIGION for some audio enthusiasts.

Kind of late to the party, eh groovyslick? Religion? Hardly. Most of this thread was spent in an attempt at saving the guy from making a poorly considered purchase of chinese knockoff cables off of Ebay . . . an obvious scam. Several members provided some good recommendations for different mainstream cables based on their personal experience. But the O.P. was getting a "hard time" due to his insistence that the chinese knockoff cables were the "deal of the century." He later realized it was indeed a scam and got his money back. Not sure how helpful your comment is at this point.

Ya I am late to the party Rich... as I dont really scour the threads daily. I guess you missed the main points of my post.

1. wire and is ability to improve your systems performance is always a hotly debated topic.

2. the OP should not look for opinions on products by people who have no personal experience with the product.

3. the only thing that really matters is your personal satisfaction in the system you have cobbled together.

I agree that there were several members who had good advice. I chose to add the points I thought would add to the OPs future experience in the audio world.

Ya I am late to the party Rich... as I dont really scour the threads daily. I guess you missed the main points of my post.

1. wire and is ability to improve your systems performance is always a hotly debated topic.

2. the OP should not look for opinions on products by people who have no personal experience with the product.

3. the only thing that really matters is your personal satisfaction in the system you have cobbled together.

I agree that there were several members who had good advice. I chose to add the points I thought would add to the OPs future experience in the audio world.

Ok, I understand where you are coming from now. Agree with you on #1 and #3. As for #2, some people just like to hear opinions from others before they make up their own mind. Never hurts to get different perspectives on an issue, especially when you are considering shelling out some dough and can't audition things ahead of time. And especially when it is an issue of considerable debate amongst knowledgeable folks. Those discussions are almost always a good way to learn something.

In case you guys were interested in an update of where I am now, I'm in the middle of auditioning Paul Speltz's 'ANTI-CABLES' that I've had made up into a mains cable. Check the photo below to see what it looks like. I chose Paul Speltz's 10 AWG (Gauge) option for it. So far I'm pretty impressed. Only got 30 hours of burn time on it so far.

Attachments

• newgrey (1000 x 964).jpg
    newgrey (1000 x 964).jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 975
Last edited:
Lessloss anyone?

FWIW, I've sampled quite a range of PCs and stopped abruptly once I tried out the Lessloss DFPC cables. They're designed to take full advantage of transmission line skin effect which dynamically filters higher frequencies from the line, providing a cleaner waveform to your components. This is real, measurable science. I run DFPCs exclusively in my 2-channel room in combination with a PS audio PPP that virtually eliminates THD from the mains... just awesome! Although not really what I would call dirt cheap cables, you generally get what you pay for.

Noisefloor? I don't hear no stinkin' noisefloor.

Cheers

(an no, I am in no way affiliated with lessloss... although maybe I should fill out an application)

Attachments

• 199_cable1-usa_iec_15a_med.jpg
    199_cable1-usa_iec_15a_med.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 883
Last edited:
Back