Can I use a single Scipt as my center?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony T

Reaction score
I have a set of Vista as my front, montage as my rear. my friend gave me a single Script and I want to know if I can use it as a center speaker before I invest in something else....I love freebee from a friend :)

Last edited:
Well, of course you can. It won't have quite the same tonality as your Vista panels, but it will work fine as a center. Honestly, it just depends upon how persnickety you are about all your speakers being perfectly tone-matched. Just hook it up and see/hear for yourself if it works for you.

I have a set of Vista as my front, montage as my rear. my friend gave me a single Script and I want to know if I can use it was a center speaker before I invest in something else....I love freebee from a friend :)

You are doing mixed gen (Vista vs Script)...some folks are picky about that. Personally I wouldn't let that bother me.

Biggest issue is how you will place it...you want your center to be "dead center".....that would mean placing it vertically, I'd love to see where you TV is...maybe above it as a totem pole? :D

If you put it horizontally, your center won't be center as your low frequencies will be coming from the left/right (where the woofer is), and the rest from the middle (which is good).

You can probably minimize the effects if your receiver/processor can let you set the center to "small", and allows you to increase the sub frequency higher...that way less of your script woofer is used.

I have seen some single scripts for sale on eBay and Audiogon...usually cheap as folks don't want to buy one. Might want to pick up another one and put them both on a 2nd system or go 7.1 :D.

If you put it horizontally, your center won't be center as your low frequencies will be coming from the left/right (where the woofer is), and the rest from the middle (which is good).

Worse yet, if you did it this way, you would get no horizontal dispersion (off-center chairs would get no direct sound from the center channel), but tons of vertical dispersion (muddying reflections off of both floor and ceiling). The only way this speaker would work adequately is if you used it in it's standard vertical orientation.

The speaker isn't designed to disperse sound for center channel use. I suppose you could lay it on its side??

The truth is, and ML KNOWs this, thus why they gouge the hell out of you for their dedicated center channel speakers is that the center channel speaker is really what makes or breaks a good HT system. Your center channel is the keep of the HT ship. In my opinion it is truly the single most important speaker in the home theater. It handles pretty much ALL dialogue, and a large portion of even the front left and right audio effects.

The speaker isn't designed to disperse sound for center channel use. I suppose you could lay it on its side??

This is completely false. The Script has the same horizontal dispersion as Martin Logan's center channels (thirty degrees) and is completely capable as a center channel when used in it's standard vertical orientation. Laying it on it's side would be the worst thing you could do, for the reasons stated in my last post above.

This is completely false. The Script has the same horizontal dispersion as Martin Logan's center channels (thirty degrees) and is completely capable as a center channel when used in it's standard vertical orientation. Laying it on it's side would be the worst thing you could do, for the reasons stated in my last post above.

I stand corrected then. Carry on.

Worse yet, if you did it this way, you would get no horizontal dispersion (off-center chairs would get no direct sound from the center channel), but tons of vertical dispersion (muddying reflections off of both floor and ceiling). The only way this speaker would work adequately is if you used it in it's standard vertical orientation.

The reflections are a valid point, but you would get direct sound as you will be within the 30 degrees.

About off-center chairs..the..script has a pretty big panel, so depends on how many chairs wide he is.

But overall, yes...it's probably not the best idea as lots of issues to deal with.

Back