Cambridge Audio Dacmagic Plus

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Necrosuit

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Anyone here have any impressions or feedback on the Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus?
Thinking about grabbing one for a beginners DAC with Computer audio - a first entrance into my CLX system, of CA. Thanks

I would say definitely not the same pedigree as your CLXs. Why not save the money and purchase a DAC that would do justice for your wonderful CLXs? Purchasing a cheap DAC is like having 600HP motor with factory tires at the drag strip.

Wyred4sound DAC 1 and 2 seem to be the budget leaders for great sound rivaling more expensive units. The DAC 2 has a preamp and remote for $1500 and they never depreciate by anything more than $100 so its very hard to find used ones

Hey folks,

Anyone here have any impressions or feedback on the Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus?
Thinking about grabbing one for a beginners DAC with Computer audio - a first entrance into my CLX system, of CA. Thanks

According to the website, your CD player has a USB input (OptiBus) and possibly an optional SPDIF one too. So you don't need the Cambridge. Take a look at the rear and see what you have?

Wyred4sound DAC 1 and 2 seem to be the budget leaders for great sound rivaling more expensive units. The DAC 2 has a preamp and remote for $1500 and they never depreciate by anything more than $100 so its very hard to find used ones

Agreed... and I grow to enjoy my DAC2 more every day. That said, Wadia's new contender is getting a lot of good press and is a little less dough (surprisingly).

According to the website, your CD player has a USB input (OptiBus) and possibly an optional SPDIF one too. So you don't need the Cambridge. Take a look at the rear and see what you have?

Nice! Could be you just saved Necro several hundred pounds sterling. What's your fee for that?

Thanks! Yes, I actually am using the DAC in the AMR right now. the only issue I am finding with it is its non ability to play anything above 16 bit. It has upsampling to 192khz but it just isnt playing all the information thats there. Sounds awesome but I really want to hear the expensive FLAC files I purchased at the true bits. Perhaps there wont be any difference, but I need to know!

I never heard about this one so its time to get my read on. Surely this could not beat the w4s model?

I know at least one major audiophile who just put his W4S up for sale in favor of this new Wadia. That said, I haven't heard the Wadia so don't know if if I'd want to make the switch. Like anything else, I may well want to swap out my DAC at some point... but I'm really loving the W4S right now, so no urgency on that piece of the puzzle.

Thanks! Yes, I actually am using the DAC in the AMR right now. the only issue I am finding with it is its non ability to play anything above 16 bit. It has upsampling to 192khz but it just isnt playing all the information thats there. Sounds awesome but I really want to hear the expensive FLAC files I purchased at the true bits. Perhaps there wont be any difference, but I need to know!

Pete - this Schiit is getting good press for an entry level DAC that can handle high rez via USB... and it's under 500 clams.

bifrost.jpg

Yeah I have been looking at that Schitt!!! Their stuff seems good value for money i.e. looks like good Schitt:D

I had the AMR DP777 DAC for a while, but it didn't work well with my kit - or in a friend's system using a pair of Horning Agathons. I expect your '77 is somewhat better, however, and has been modded too.

Have fun - and if you like to rock out then Metallica's Black Album from HD Tracks comes out well.

I know at least one major audiophile who just put his W4S up for sale in favor of this new Wadia. That said, I haven't heard the Wadia so don't know if if I'd want to make the switch. Like anything else, I may well want to swap out my DAC at some point... but I'm really loving the W4S right now, so no urgency on that piece of the puzzle.

Make that two audiophiles who have now made the switch from DAC2 to Wadia 121 (based on recent postings over on AA).

Latest posts

Back