Thinking about buying a Cambridge CXN (V2) streamer, opinions?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am still trying to find someone who has been able to demo the Atoll and the Lumin D2. Trying to decide between the two and this is the only thread online that mentions both.
I have the Lumin D2 and love it. I bought mine online from Upscale Audio and got their power supply added on. They even install it for you, so that's nice.

I stream using Tidal ,they have a ton of MQA files. The Lumin shows you which songs are in MQA. Most songs will be on there 2 or 3 times in different formats.

The Lumin app doesn't look as polished as the Atoll's. The sound I get is amazing to me though. I was coming from using a Sonos zone player the last 14 years.

Were you able to hear the Atoll by chance?
I never did hear either one. I bought on the advice of members on here. I had my own thread. I dont have a store near me that carries any of these brands, so I ordered from that place in CA.

Is the price the same on the Atoll as Lumin? If price is the same, then I'd compare the DAC stats and other components to at least see which is better on paper. The Atoll looks more fancy with the screen and app. I think if it's price is the same then perhaps the DAC and other components aren't as nice as the Lumin. The display and app on the Atoll are certainly better. I'm more interested in sound quality.

The Lumin is more barebones, and perhaps you're paying more for sound quality. If the Atoll has a DAC and other components as good as the Lumin and costs the same or less then id buy that. I didn't look at the Atoll at all because nobody mentioned it in my thread, at least I don't remember it. There were some others I compared but I can't remember their names!

I've got a question I stream everything from movies to music using a computer, attached to the stereo by the 3.1 m audio cable. would there be any reason to buy a streamer? Am I already accomplishing the same effect?
TIA Tom

I have ML Quest and driving them with CARY equipment.

I've got a question I stream everything from movies to music using a computer, attached to the stereo by the 3.1 m audio cable. would there be any reason to buy a streamer? Am I already accomplishing the same effect?
TIA Tom

I have ML Quest and driving them with CARY equipment.
I believe there is a huge difference in sound quality. I do the same as you with listening to music on my computer and streaming movies. My computer is now routed through my streamer. (Linn Majik DSM) The DAC in the Linn is much better than the DAC in my computer which is a Mac mini. My system consists of the following Linn Majik DSM, Parasound JC5 and ML ESL 11A's

Attachments

• IMG_0115.jpeg
    IMG_0115.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
I believe there is a huge difference in sound quality. I do the same as you with listening to music on my computer and streaming movies. My computer is now routed through my streamer. (Linn Majik DSM) The DAC in the Linn is much better than the DAC in my computer which is a Mac mini. My system consists of the following Linn Majik DSM, Parasound JC5 and ML ESL 11A's
If you just use the onboard audio on your mother board or video card then the external DAC/streamer should sound much better. I have a gaming pc with a sound blaster card and the sound is pretty good. If you want a cheap upgrade, try a good sound card. The sound blaster was under $200. Comparing it to the sound from the motherboard, it's a huge upgrade in sound.

On my home theater/music setup I use the Lumin for music. I listen to music on the pc setup too when I'm working on the pc in the home office. Can't really compare the two because they are hooked up to totally different setups.

Back