Blank Check Project

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrumpetDoug

Reaction score
Hey Martin Logan folks,

A special invite for you to preview a song from a new project I'm doing to benefit wounded soldiers.
Some Mother's Son is a tune from the Mel Gibson movie We Were Soldiers. I reworked it to fit my style.

Let me know what you think of the tune not the video. The music has not been mastered yet but it still sounds pretty good on the Logans. I have 8 other tracks as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MZiJKJp-bo&feature=youtu.be

This is to be viewed by Martin Logon invites only I will pull down the song / video in a day or two.

BTW: you are all Martin Logan invites (if I didn't make that clear)

Doug - out

Last edited:
Nice...really really nice

Thanks Jerry,
The CD will be available early in 2012. Like I said earlier, 9 tracks in total, with 6 in tribute and support of our men and women in the military.
Particular happy about a full orchestra piece with rhythm section. This featured Gina Gonzalez from the Lt. Dan Band (Gary Sinese) who wrote and performed the tune with us.

Hope to get some feedback from some other folks here before I pull the video down.

Doug - out

Doug, that was beautiful! Will the 9 tracks be available at 24/192 lossless FLAC files either download or on DVD to copy to music server?

Doug, that was great and it is a great thing you are doing for our wounded soldiers.

Thanks Steve,

More detailed info will be coming soon, including web-site, FB page and other info. In short $4.00 from the sale of each cd will go to the new Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.

I have taken great pains to ensure the audio quality will be something that all audiophiles can appreciate. I have been involved in every aspect of recording and mixing. After it is mastered it should truly be a piece of audio art. Listening on the Logans has helped a tremendous amount in my opinion.

Fot the folks out there that remember the label "Sheffield Labs", I have included an arrangement from one of their best recordings. I reworked "Pressure Cooker" from "Thelma Houston and the Pressure Cooker Band" The result was astounding, and for an audiophile of my vintage, and honor to record.

More later, thanks again all and keep the feedback coming if you have the time. Logan folks have great ears and I value your opinion.

Doug - out

Last edited:
Doug, that was beautiful! Will the 9 tracks be available at 24/192 lossless FLAC files either download or on DVD to copy to music server?

To answer your question I needed to check with my engineer first. The sessions and all the audio were recorded at 24/48 which is pretty standard. I can (during the mastering process) deliver the finals at 24/192 if that is what I specify. After processing, the songs could be converted back to digital at the higher rate and later converted down to 16/44.1 for CD pressing.
Hope this is a satisfactory explanation. I had not thought of 24/192 but if more people think I should I would hope they would let me know.

Doug - out

Doug,

Stunning. Thank you for your efforts to address this noble cause.

Gordon

If it was recorded at 24/48, what is the advantage of delivering finals at 24/192?

OK Steve,
I'm really hoping not to open a can of worms here that would somewhat miss the point of the recording, but here is my best.

From what I'm told by my engineer A lot of mastering guys will run the mixes thorough EQs at which point the original sample rate no longer is of consequence.
I'm just taking his word for it since this is a bit above my pay-grade (if you will)
Incidentally, the engineer is no slouch. He is Richard Marks guy for quite a while now and has mixed the last few Mannheim Steamroller recordings among many other large scale projects. I say this just to let you know I trust his judgement in these matters.

Again I think the final outcome will be one that audiophiles will approve of, remembering it is in the pop vein.

Doug - out

Thought I should tell you why I call it the Blank Check Project.

Blank Check Project
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Doug - out

Outstanding production and a supurb preformance by the vocalist and musicians as well. And a great meaningful song. Good choice. If more recording studios would use ML speakers to do their mixing, there would be less badly recorded music in the world. A super worthy cause, I might add. Please keep us posted as to the release date.

Last edited:
Hey Martin Logan folks,

A special invite for you to preview a song from a new project I'm doing to benefit wounded soldiers.
Some Mother's Son is a tune from the Mel Gibson movie We Were Soldiers. I reworked it to fit my style.

Let me know what you think of the tune not the video. The music has not been mastered yet but it still sounds pretty good on the Logans. I have 8 other tracks as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MZiJKJp-bo&feature=youtu.be

This is to be viewed by Martin Logon invites only I will pull down the song / video in a day or two.

BTW: you are all Martin Logan invites (if I didn't make that clear)

Doug - out

Kudo's Doug! That is extremely enjoyable! Let me know when it is all ready:eek:

Best, Bob

I then rather have the native recorded sample rate of 24/48 so I have the choice to play the default sample rate or up sample with my music server to 24/96 or higher if I like.

Amazing music, and an amazing cause! I for one have a real soft spot of the armed forces, and you have captured my support fully. Thank you Doug and please keep us posted on more about this project, but not only thank Doug but thank you to the US armed forces, but not only our soldiers, but soldiers in general. Thank you all!

Amazing music, and an amazing cause! I for one have a real soft spot of the armed forces, and you have captured my support fully. Thank you Doug and please keep us posted on more about this project, but not only thank Doug but thank you to the US armed forces, but not only our soldiers, but soldiers in general. Thank you all!

Thanks much Jordan. I to have had a soft spot in my heart for these fine men and women. Something about just putting their life on hold for the country seems like such a nobel thing.
I will be finishing all recording elements the first couple weeks of Jan. Mixing for about half of the tunes is complete already. I will finish up the rest of the tunes from a mixing stand point, then send it all out to be mastered. This (the mastering) is the part that probably scares me the most because I won't have my hands in that part at all. It's either great and done or send it somewhere else to have another go. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Doug - out

Thanks to you all for the input.

It seems I had 46 views of the video and a lot of good positive feedback.

I will keep you all posted about the project. I'm about to enter a new phase of this journey including the release of the cd and digital download, cd release concert, marketing of the music and more.

I hope you all and others you know in the hobby will join me. I truly hope (it has been a long time dream of mine) to offer audiophile quality music with a purpose.

You are the first group I brought this to because i believe in your abilities as listeners and reviewers.

See you all soon,

Doug, thanks you all and is...................-out

Back