Bi-amplify!!!! Qsc tweak

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete

Reaction score
I may have reluctantly stumbled across one of the best tweaks in a long time! I recently went from using my ATI-1505, Bi-wired to my SL3's, to using the ATI on the bottom portion of the speakers, (Horizontal BI-Amping) and the QSC-GX3 for the panels.I sit about 12ft from the front speakers (Nearfield) and the sound couldn't be better unless I used some really Hi-end mono blocks, Krell or tube, to get what I am now hearing, it's pretty unbelievable on Pandora internet streaming music as well as redbook, MP3, WMA, and ACC, somebody really needs to wake up the audiophile public to Professional amplification, because we have been getting ripped off!!!!Home amplifiers are really pretty and cool looking with brushed aluminum face plates, and dreamy blue lights, but I have just proven to myself that you do not have to spend $5K-$35K on home-based amplifiers to achieve "reference" quality sound!!!!!
I just pulled it off using this ATI & QSC amplifier!!!! I was so close to buying this Krell showcase amp too!! Now I will save the $$$$$ and go to Italy next month, by the way I have listened to Mark Levinson, KRELL,Audio Research,McIntosh,Sonic Frontiers, and a host of others,........I know what I'm talking about!!!!!

Glad to hear you have found the ultimate in reference sound. Remember what you hear is the only thing that matters.

I have never heard of QSC amps. When did that home shopping network start selling high end stereo equipment.

Last edited:
I'm using a simple 800 euro, Sony 5.1 receiver/amplifier as per-amp. by wiring my simple Samsung BDP-1400 Blu-Ray player via glass fiber into this amplifiers DAC and added a 1000 euro K4040 Velleman kit tube amps driving the Aeriuses and I haven't heard a better setup at any high-end sound show or at any high end audio shop except one 100.000k Euro setup based on tailor made tube amplifier setup!!!

These Martin Logans are so damn good that it is very hard to come up with something sounding even better!!!

Pete, call me a doubting Thomas. Here's a proposal, I live in Denver, maybe we could hook up some time and give a listen to one another's systems with material that we're both familiar with and then we can post one anothers observations here.

I'll bring beer.

Pete,

A little modesty goes a long way.

I've been in this hobby for some 35 years and have never, nor would I ever state anything that even approaches the attitude conveyed in your closing line.

IMHO, the obvious inference is uninformed at best.

And yes, I have been to numerous trade shows (most recent RMAF 2009) and have visited numerous "boutique" audio salons over the years.

GG

PS: FWIW, I agree with the other comments, that being that Pete has found something he really likes. I am happy for his discovery and satisfaction. I obviously question the legitimacy that this is the end all solution for everyone and take exception to Pete's apparent position that somehow I have wasted my money buying a Pass Labs 250.5 amplifier, which, by the way, has a fancy polished aluminum face plate and dreamy blue lights. I find that a bit presumptuous, to say the least.

Last edited:
Glad you found what you were looking for.In the long run,if your happy that is all that matters.Better get your flame suit though.Many members here are going to torch you for your comments.

Yeah, I've never heard a piece of pro amplification sound like anything... They are built to withstand abuse nothing more. But hey, if that floats your boat.

Yeah, I've never heard a piece of pro amplification sound like anything... They are built to withstand abuse nothing more. But hey, if that floats your boat.
I'm willing to bet, though, that the pro stuff measures as good as the audiophile stuff :devil:

Well that would be great if the measurements corresponded to how something actually sounded....:devil:

Come on Gordon,

Don't be a wimp.

GG

haha, I am pretty much of the same opinion as others here. Yes the pro gear for the most part is built like a tank to handle much abuse, being overdriven into distortion constantly and handle abuse of the road. It is not necessarily built to reproduce music the most acurate way possible. Having worked in Dance Clubs as a DJ when I was in college for years and also playing at alot of raves back in the 90's I have had my share of experience with crown and QSC amps. They do not sound bad in a nightclub with the right gear downstream (eq, processors, limiters, etc) but I sure as heck would not use them to power my ultra revealing Martin Logan speakers. Hey, but I guess if it sounds good to your ears, that is all that matters.
You will not make many friends on here though by trying to convince others on here (like the other Gordon) that they wasted thousands of dollars on high end amps, when they could have achieved the same sound quality using a $200 Qsc pro amp. In the end of it all you pretty much get what you pay for.

Well here it comes from the other-other Gordon. I'm glad I don't have a brushed aluminum face on my gear, just beautiful black glass. Regrettably, I do suffer from the dreamy blue lights so does that mean I only got half ripped off?

Where are these guys coming from? I thought the weather in Colorado was nice enough to be outdoors.

Gordon

oh Pete, just for your info I had at one point (until a couple of weeks ago) considered buying the "promised since over a year Emotiva UMC-1 Suround processor for $699" that is supposed to have all of the latest codecs, upconversion, etc... I got tired of waiting and being told every month that the unit was "in prodcuctiuon (in China mind you) and after doing my homework and listening to the voices in my head have decided to order the new Krell (S-1200) unit that retails for $12,000! I guess you could also say that the cheaper one does what the expensive one does on paper, but in this hobby it is not about comparing specs! Just sayin'

Wwiii!!!!!

Good googly moogly!!!! Sorry to ruffle so many feathers here guy's, If I made anyone feel bad for purchasing what they like, or said something that implied that I was bashing any of you for owning stellar gear, my apologies!!! My post was for the people that own ML's that want to get an unbelievable sound at un unbelievable price. The last time I got sound anything close to what I'm hearing now is when I had my cheapie Jolida integrated tube amp hooked up to my Mirage M3's. Everyone, even the wealthy love a good deal when they see or hear one, my intentions was not to criticize anybody for having brushed aluminum faceplates or dreamy blue lights, it's just so many are moved by the unimportant things when it comes to audio other than the sound, that was my point, nothing more, nothing less. By the way we will sell just about every reputable brand that we can get our hands on here in Denver really soon, so keep an eye out for DENVER INTERNATIONAL AUDIO & VIDEO LLC.!!!! By the way, my cheapie QSC has one dreamy blue light!!! LOL!!

Let's do it!!!

Pete, call me a doubting Thomas. Here's a proposal, I live in Denver, maybe we could hook up some time and give a listen to one another's systems with material that we're both familiar with and then we can post one anothers observations here.

I'll bring beer.

I live by DIA, Tower & 56th, I would be glad to hook up, send me an email, I'm off Sundays & Mondays, you could bring some CD's or SACD's and you could hear for yourself, and give me your honest opinion.

For sure!!!!

Glad you found what you were looking for.In the long run,if your happy that is all that matters.Better get your flame suit though.Many members here are going to torch you for your comments.

Horchem1972, thanks for your candid, but respectable response, I don't mind at all people voicing their opionions, because at the end of the day, it's all about the music. So many people will see what I wrote and think that I'm out of my mind, and maybe I am!!!! I could easily spend $200K on a reference system, but it would just be because I know what to get at that price, but I'm a magician at getting similar results with a lot less, and that's why I'm in the business personally, thanks!

Wow!!!!!

Seriously Tone, you saying that Pro audio is built for abuse, and not sound quality is ridiculous, that's like saying that all the thousands of dollars spent on studio equipment is useless because at the end of the day, it will sound better than the studio master because you are hearing the music out of you ML's!!!!!

Modesty, Attitude!!!!!!!

Pete,

A little modesty goes a long way.

I've been in this hobby for some 35 years and have never, nor would I ever state anything that even approaches the attitude conveyed in your closing line.

IMHO, the obvious inference is uninformed at best.

And yes, I have been to numerous trade shows (most recent RMAF 2009) and have visited numerous "boutique" audio salons over the years.

GG

PS: FWIW, I agree with the other comments, that being that Pete has found something he really likes. I am happy for his discovery and satisfaction. I obviously question the legitimacy that this is the end all solution for everyone and take exception to Pete's apparent position that somehow I have wasted my money buying a Pass Labs 250.5 amplifier, which, by the way, has a fancy polished aluminum face plate and dreamy blue lights. I find that a bit presumptuous, to say the least.

Thanks for your comments Gordon, but if you were out here in Colorado, you could go and listen to a $1 Million dollar system that just so happens to feature QSC amplification in the set up because of the sound quality & reputation. The name of this company is Residential Systems INC. and they would love to hear your arguments on how bad QSC is,and sorry if my last sentence was SO offensive, I'm not used to being overly watchful of audiophiles feelings, I can come off a bit wrong sometimes, and if I truly did, I apologize, that was not my intent whatsoever, and your PASS labs are awesome amps, they sell them here at Cherry Creek Audio,......good stuff, I wasn't bashing blue lights, I have those too!!!!!! And they are "Dreamy"!!!!!!

Class A

oh Pete, just for your info I had at one point (until a couple of weeks ago) considered buying the "promised since over a year Emotiva UMC-1 Suround processor for $699" that is supposed to have all of the latest codecs, upconversion, etc... I got tired of waiting and being told every month that the unit was "in prodcuctiuon (in China mind you) and after doing my homework and listening to the voices in my head have decided to order the new Krell (S-1200) unit that retails for $12,000! I guess you could also say that the cheaper one does what the expensive one does on paper, but in this hobby it is not about comparing specs! Just sayin'

No,.........you could say that Gordon, I wouldn't because the KRELL has Class A input and output stages the Emotiva does not, and please, KRELL is one of if not the best $$$$ can buy, give me a little credit, I was talking amps!!!!

Latest posts

Back