Back-lighting?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anybody ever experimented with any kind of gentle accent lighting designed to shine through the electrostatic panels in a dedicated home theater?

This may be a complete newb question, but since I've been the proud owner of some fine Sequel II's for about 3 days, that's to be expected. They sound amazing, but they also happen to be beautiful IMO and I want to show them off. But as it is they are in dark corners on either side of the front projection screen, far away from light sources, with the walls behind them being lined in black acoustic wedge foam. And with deep mahogany rails they go completely invisible when the lights are turned down for the movie. Since one of the unique features of ML's is their translucent nature, what would be more appropriate than a soft glow just peaking through the perforated panels to remind you they are there and doing their thing? I just wanted to see if anyone else has tried something along those lines, whether it turned out well or not, or if anyone had any ideas of how to get that effect without, of course, compromising acoustics or causing light pollution on the screen.

If you want REALLY subtle light, get a short piece of "rope light" (about 3ft) and coil it on the electronics box (top of the woofer cabinet). When you plug it it and light it up, you will see a really subtle light shining up the back side of the ESLs, and you should be able to see through them better.

If you want more light, hang the rope light behind the panel, inside the upright support, on the "inside" side of the speaker. You shouldn't be able to see th erope light directly from your listening position, but it will throw light through the panel, and throw a flood of soft light on the rear wall too...

I tried this years ago, and it was cool for about a month. I impressed a lot of my "non audiophile" friends with my way-cool clear speakers, but after a while it just got distracting and kitchy.

We hang the rope lights around the deck by our hot tub now... ;)

I have some LED "candles" that change color randomly sitting on the power supply box's of my CLS's, and a really cool LED fixture I got as a gift on a visit to Phillips in the Netherlands last year that I use for washing the wall behind the speakers. I can change the color on the back wall to suite my mood and the CLS's have so much open space on the panels that you can really see it.

Attachments

• WW1.jpg
    WW1.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 323
  • WW2.jpg
    WW2.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 329
  • WW3.jpg
    WW3.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 323
Tim, I still want to know when that product shows up on the market, it's way cool :bowdown:

But for me, I'm moving to DMX controlled LED lighting for the HT. Just got in a wall washer for the rear 3D diffuser element.

For the original Poster, we had a long thread on LED based lighting in this thread: http://67.19.167.226/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=5614

Last edited:
Has anybody ever experimented with any kind of gentle accent lighting designed to shine through the electrostatic panels in a dedicated home theater?

If you look on ebay, you'll find 12 Volt LEDs sold with resistors for auto lighting applications. They are available in various colors and brightness for very cheap. You can use those with a 12V powerpack. Use as many/few as you desire and get creative... I want a clear M/L engraved plaque that I can side light with them behind the panel(s)...

Great advice, guys. I like those CLS's, and I especially dig the glass bricks that they stand on. :) I may have to look at the LED candle idea for it's ability to change color. But I think I'm going to try Dreamer's rope light idea first. It's the simplest and I am concerned about it being cool for a month and then seeming silly. That's mainly why I wanted to see if others were doing it too. But I'll give it a try and see. Thanks!

I have some LED "candles" that change color randomly sitting on the power supply box's of my CLS's, and a really cool LED fixture I got as a gift on a visit to Phillips in the Netherlands last year that I use for washing the wall behind the speakers. I can change the color on the back wall to suite my mood and the CLS's have so much open space on the panels that you can really see it.

With lights and a system like that, Tim, who needs psychedelics?:)

Press play (or cue the arm!) and it's 1967 all over again. Not that I am old enough to remember it:D

Secretly, I have a pretty cool oil lamp:) And a lava lamp. Not so secret now, though.

I have had these small can lights on x10 dimmers accessed via my pronto remote behind my speakers since I bought them. Lighting definitely opens up the visual look of these speakers and I have always been surprised people don't light them up more often. You really are missing one of the most intriguing aspects of ML's if you leave them "as is." (Look at my avatar, too. You can see the lighting behind speakers while the projector is on.)

amp.jpg

Last edited:
I have had these small can lights on x10 dimmers accessed via my pronto remote behind my speakers since I bought them. Lighting definitely opens up the visual look of these speakers and I have always been surprised people don't light them up more often. You really are missing one of the most intriguing aspects of ML's if you leave them "as is." (Look at my avatar, too. You can see the lighting behind speakers while the projector is on.)

amp.jpg

Is that a fake flower pot on top of your beautiful emotiva amp? Are you nuts???;)

I have a slightly off topic question. Which lamps negatively affect audio because of RFI. I've heard that you shouldn't use certain dimmers and flourescent lamps. Do manuafacturers take any special shielding provisions with LED's or do we need worry about it at all?

Latest posts

Back