MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrumpetDoug

Reaction score
Anyone here see Avatar? I've seen it twice, once in I-Max 3D. All I can say is if you haven't seen it and like science-fiction (or maybe even if you don't) see it you will not be disappointed with the entertainment value.

Doug - out

I can't think of worse turture than having to sit through that! But I'm not a movie-head and I'd say that about almost every film.

it looks like it could be bad in my opinion. I am not a huge CGI fan only in certain instances is it a good thing.this movie looks like it could be churned out crap made for the masses with an expected % return sort of like the later starwars movies. I have loved James Camerons movies in the past though so I will still see it when it comes out on disc or download although I am not looking forward to watching sigourney weaver as she is sort of annoying in certain movies.

Last edited:
Gotta tell you guys this film set a new standard visually, and Cameron has created a new world unlike anything I have ever seen. And BTW I see'em all.

Gotta tell you guys this film set a new standard visually, and Cameron has created a new world unlike anything I have ever seen. And BTW I see'em all.
Sounds about right, Doug. Insane design concepts, incredible CGI, excellent use (and not overuse) of 3D effects. Want to visit an amazing, incredibly beautiful alien planet? See this movie in IMAX 3D.

Fairly predictable plot and one-dimensional bad guys, but it just doesn't matter. This film is spectacle like few, if any other, and folks who elect to wait for the DVD/Blu-ray will regret it later IMHO.

I plan to see it again in a few days - something I've done only for a couple of movies ever.

Be sure to see it in IMAX 3D it is unlike any movie I have ever seen or should I say experienced.

One way I have heard people describe it, is based on the fact that a movie's purpose is to escape reality. This movie does it better than any movie in history at least in IMAX 3D.

You will find yourself actually on an alien planet with dozens of things all around you literally you are there among the aliens, I can not descibe it well enough, but if you go and experience it in IMAX 3D you will understand.

I believe this will change the movie going experience for all time. It will have the side effect of speeding up to market things like 3D TV and 3D Bluray, so even if you don't go see it, it will come see you in the not too distant future......:D

I saw it last night is 3-D and the movie is outstanding. Too bad the story is just Dances With Wolfs all over again.

Is it played at the normal deafening sound levels (the reason I avoid movie theatres) ?

Is it played at the normal deafening sound levels (the reason I avoid movie theatres) ?

people just are not impressed unless they suffer ear damage Bernard. I often cut an earplug in half and shove half in each ear this lowers the volume to a reasonable level.

BTW I could care less how good the special effects are if the story blows I will not enjoy the movie period.

BTW I could care less how good the special effects are if the story blows I will not enjoy the movie period.

FISH MAN, I saw Avatar yesterday prepared to dislike it and write it off as an exercise in CGI, loud booms and blasts and hokey 3-D effects. While the screenplay will not win any Academy Award nominations, the IMAX experience was truly incredible. In your face 3-D effects were kept to a minimum, the holography was astounding and the aliens were more realistic than their human counterparts. My only quibble is that the sound track was louder than I like but not at ear-bleed levels. It's just that most theater sound systems suck and increasing the volume makes the crummy speakers sound crummier.
This may not encourage you to see the movie but if you go, be ready for something unlike any movie experience that you have ever had.

FISH MAN, I saw Avatar yesterday prepared to dislike it and write it off as an exercise in CGI, loud booms and blasts and hokey 3-D effects. While the screenplay will not win any Academy Award nominations, the IMAX experience was truly incredible. In your face 3-D effects were kept to a minimum, the holography was astounding and the aliens were more realistic than their human counterparts. My only quibble is that the sound track was louder than I like but not at ear-bleed levels. It's just that most theater sound systems suck and increasing the volume makes the crummy speakers sound crummier.
This may not encourage you to see the movie but if you go, be ready for something unlike any movie experience that you have ever had.

don't get me wrong I am going to see it! I will for sure sneak my usual moderately sized bottle of kettle one into the theater and enjoy with a tall mountain dew and box of over salted and buttered stale popcorn, yum lol

My wife and I just saw Avatar at a stadium seating 3D (not I-Max) theater. We both think it is a great movie, yes similar to Dances with Wolves. The movie could have been louder where we went, certainly would not want it any lower. Had we seen it in July/August I'm sure I would be swatting at all the flying bugs as a knee jerk reaction (very real at times).

I saw Star Trek at an I-Max theater, sat in the front 1/4 which was a huge mistake (much farther back is better), missed half the action as it was out of my frame/scope of vision. I don't need to be in the middle of the action, I came to see a whole movie and half of it was too fuzzy to see.

This (Avatar) is a "must see" movie, a benchmark others will be judged by for some time.

I hope you have a strong bladder, 2-3/4 hour run time, make it three hours with previews.

Last edited:
Well there you go, sometimes you predict and sometimes you are one.:D

Did anyone else see the annoucemnt by ESPN to do a 3D Network....it's coming......I bet HBO or one of the other premium networks announce a 3D version soon. Okay there I go predicting again.........:D

Went to Avatar 3D this week... I have to say, I had the same feeling the first time I saw Star Wars... Movies will never be the same... AWESOME visuals, Awesome sound, OK story... overall, Outstanding

Back