another Western Colorado guy

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edmiston

Reaction score
Happy Thanksgiving everyone. The snow is drifting down in the mountains. I have been a lurker here for some time and decided to go public! I recently bought a pair of Summits on close out, but my ML experience, and stat experience goes way back. (I saw Jeff's (Tonepub) list of his stats and I think I am a sicker man than he). I bought a pair of Monoliths around 1986, and then a pair of CLSs. After serial philandering, I am back, sucked in by the manageable size, the hugely improved hybrid formula, and as always, the great customer service.

I had set up for two channel, and am now completely overhauling ancillary components as I am digging multichannel sacd, and want the occasional movie experience, so I am considering a very unorthodox surround system that has music as a priority. I get a beautiful image and centerfill with the Summits, so I think I prefer no center to a non-Summit center. I am also more than happy with their bass, so no sub (and no sub issues). I am considering a pair of Vantages for rear channel, and call it good with four "full range" speakers, i.e. no bass management needed.

I am moving to Oxford, England, in the fall, so I am encouraged to see some UK participants here. I am quite a Quad fan, but sadly I think the Chinese Quad product is unreliable and poorly supported (one year warranty - give me a break). Also, nothing helps fit a stat in a room like MLs narrow width.

Anyway, if I ever complete my surround setup, I will post a picture. I am using a mishmash of gear now that would shock those of delicate sensibilities.

Mark

I had set up for two channel, and am now completely overhauling ancillary components as I am digging multichannel sacd, and want the occasional movie experience, so I am considering a very unorthodox surround system that has music as a priority. I get a beautiful image and centerfill with the Summits, so I think I prefer no center to a non-Summit center. I am also more than happy with their bass, so no sub (and no sub issues). I am considering a pair of Vantages for rear channel, and call it good with four "full range" speakers, i.e. no bass management needed.

Welcome!

For movies, you might want to consider the Stage, but I agree that a sub probably isn't a high priority.

I am moving to Oxford, England, in the fall, so I am encouraged to see some UK participants here. I am quite a Quad fan, but sadly I think the Chinese Quad product is unreliable and poorly supported (one year warranty - give me a break).

When you land in Oxford be sure to check out my Logan dealer...

http://www.oxfordaudio.co.uk/

Oxford is a nice place to be. Quite a wealthy area. You should enjoy it.

Much as it pains me to say it, but I think MLs beat Quads, too.

He had to take a pull off the pint of ale and swallow her down before that statement ! :D

My deer son may we say ML are much better than Quad ......Cheerio......:ROFL:

Last edited:
That said I'd take a 2905 over a Vantage, any day:devil:

Oh - and US cars suck really badly...:)

Pride.

Last edited:
Congratulations

...on the move to Oxford. I lived there twice for a total of seven years. I also lived in Cambridge for a year. 'Both great places with a tremendous amount to offer. I also loved having such easy access to London. The bus and train service between Oxford and London are excellent.

I have been back to Oxford fairly frequently since living there. It's still a great place, although more congested than when I was there in the 80s and 90s. Hope you have a great time. It's a wonderful place.

- Craig

Thanks all. We actually already have a toe hold in Oxford. My wife is English and a "public" school girl, so she nearly stroked when she experienced rural American schools. For that and other reasons, our children started school in Oxford last fall, so we already have a house of sorts there (real estate prices there will floor you). So I'm still working here, and we fly back and forth. Not a great life, but the kids are in stupendous schools. My wife had been living in Edinburgh when we met, and hadn't lived in southern England for many years. She is missing the friendly pace of rural American life, and is shocked by the congestion and aggression now prevalent in much of the UK. That said, Oxford has much to offer.

US cars suck...hmm, sounds like you are watching too much Top Gear. Actually, that said, my wife reports that in the last TG she saw the lads gave thumbs up to three US cars. I find the show annoying, but our cars are German and Japanese. Bristol? My wife went to uni there.

Last edited:
Ridiculous house prices are, I believe, a function of the financial sector, and the failure of the government to regulate them. When 5x income multiples are given to people routinely, it can't help but inflate the market. There is a correction happening now, but it is slowing down and is not quite as steep as I expected. That may change though.

Too much Top Gear? It's hard to take the show seriously - it's more about three great presenters than anything else - they just work really well together, which is why the show is so popular over here.

Last time I went to Oxford, it was horrendously busy. We moved out of the centre of Bristol for similar reasons. There are now way to many people on this small island. I blame much of it on imigration policy - the govt likes it cos it helps with economic growth, I think. Mind you, NYC is worse than both.

Tell your wife Broadmead has been rebuilt - it is now called Cabot Circus. She'd probably like to see it - its worth a day trip for her to see how Bristol has changed. Tell her Park Street still looks like Park Street, but the shops have changed a bit.

Get ready for a shock when you see UK ML prices. So put some CLXs in your briefcase when you come over.:D

Tell your wife Broadmead has been rebuilt - it is now called Cabot Circus.
I don't get it! What's with the "Circus" designation all over Engand (e.g. Oxford Circus and Piccadilly Circus in London) ? Does this make all of you guys clowns ? :confused:

We have Circus Circus here in Vegas :ROFL:

Leave it to the Americans to not be out done !:D

I don't get it! What's with the "Circus" designation all over Engand (e.g. Oxford Circus and Piccadilly Circus in London) ? Does this make all of you guys clowns ? :confused:

Well I dunno Bernard, but at least we can come up with some decent hi-fi, and the first marketable ESL. Can't think of too many great Canadian brands... can you? Sorry, but you asked for it there...:D

Even the Americans can do it. But the Canadians? Hm...

Last edited:
Actually, Tim, that's the name the first came into my head when I had a think... and to be honest, Bryston is very well rated over here.

Last edited:
Oh that is right you wanted Tubes for greatness....

Nah - not really. I am just thinking classic brand names - world classics, that is. Classe and Oracle, definately...

I see it from the UK angle, though.

This thread seems to have been hijacked somewhat. Apologies to the originator.

Latest posts

Back