AN Parallel Triode 300B - 20 Watts/Channel

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abhijit

Reaction score
Just to tell you guys that I have just assembled Audio's Notes Dual 300B. Could manage to use the best components - Silver Wiring, Double C Core Interstage & Output TX, Jensen Caps, Jensen Four Pole caps, Vishay Zfoil resitors, the other resistors are all non-magnetic, Filament supply from Ten Labs etc. Sounding great with my Proac D-28 speakers. The amp is still in teh process of break-in. Usually the output TX takes 500 hours to break-in. I can briefly say that the sound is very open and cannot be compared with any solid state amp. Speakers can handle the load very nicely.

Aren't you the chap who used to run Summits and then changed to the ProAcs?

Some pics of the amp would be great. I used to run my ProAc 2.5s with 50 Watts of tube power with good results.

Whose 300Bs have you got in there?

You are absolutely right!! Currently I am using EH 300B. Just waiting for the break-in peroid of the Double C core Output TX and replace Filament Supply. Subsequently, I will use KR 300B.

Attachments

• AN_PIC3.pdf
    62.5 KB · Views: 212
  • AN_PIC4.pdf
    51.1 KB · Views: 190
The Audio Note stuff certainly has character... sounds completely different to most kit. Completely optimised on different parameters to the standard text book stuff, and you have to love Peter for it.

The fact that you have managed to put together one of their amps is a pretty cool achievement. I hope you like it with the ProAcs.

Enjoy.

Yes Justin,

And to set the record straight, this gentleman waxed about the ProAc while simultaneously (if I recall correctly) took the opportunity (absent the sand / panel cleaning issue) to criticize the performance of the Summit.

GG

PS: I too am glad this gentleman likes his new amps with his ProAcs. That's what this hobby is all about.

Last edited:
Yes Justin,

And to set the record straight, this gentleman waxed about the ProAc while simultaneously (if I recall correctly) took the opportunity (absent the sand / panel cleaning issue) to criticize the performance of the Summit.

GG

PS: I too am glad this gentleman likes his new amps with his ProAcs. That's what this hobby is all about.
Hi Gordon, I have a very a few basic question for you - 1. Can Summit support low wattage Single Ended Class A Tube amps? With my limited knowledge I observed that impedence curve for Summit is not stariaght as ProAcs which means that Summit can be powered with only high wattage Transistor Amp or Tube amps (which is 50 watts and above). My question why many people (who can afford) has moved to Avantgarde with low wattage Class A SE tube amps 2. Can the sound quality be comapred between Transistor CLASS A with Tube Class A Single ended if the end user is a Jazz lover? BTW, ProAc sounds much relaxed compare to Summit at low volumes - may be my room acoustics!

Last edited:
The Audio Note stuff certainly has character... sounds completely different to most kit. Completely optimised on different parameters to the standard text book stuff, and you have to love Peter for it.

The fact that you have managed to put together one of their amps is a pretty cool achievement. I hope you like it with the ProAcs.

Enjoy.

Thanx Yes, credit goes to Peter and Andy for their creation. Even lots of credit goes to Christian A Bryant of Xerocomm Audio who had suggested lots of mods compare to the original circuitry. Sounds terrific with ProAc D28!! Matches very well with Cary SLP-05. Filamnet supply from Guido Tent (Tent Labs) has made a huge difference!!

Yes Justin,

GG

Yes that was interesting.

If you asked which I'd prefer, say my old ProAc 2.5s versus the Summit, there's no way I'd pick the ProAc. Nice speakers, but they're not in the same league to these ears. The D28 is broadly the same, but more recent, than the 2.5.

Still, not all ears 'ear the same:D

Hi ab,

Regarding the questions you asked in Post No. 6.

1) Obviously not as affirmed by Justin and Jeff.

2) Never heard a Class A SE tube amp in my system. Have listened to alot of jazz on my system, which contains a Pass Labs amp. Jazz and classical amount to 90% + of the music I play. I can say, as another jazz lover, that this material sounds quite musical and engaging through my SS amp.

As Justin said, we all have our own individual preferences.

GG

Sorry, ab, have you actually sold the Summits, or do you still have them? For some reason I thought you no longer had them, and your question about using the 300Bs with Summits was simply hypothetical.

Just curious.

Sorry, ab, have you actually sold the Summits, or do you still have them? For some reason I thought you no longer had them, and your question about using the 300Bs with Summits was simply hypothetical.

Just curious.

I have sold my Summit at a very good price couple of months back. It is not Hypothetical it is purely mathematical Interpretation. Top of it, the AN designer also believes that ProAc would have been a better and easy load for Class A 300B SE Tube amps where current delivery to the load is much lower than SS Amps. I now have an option to go for my second speakers - either ML CLX or Avantgarde Duo. Any suggestion is welcome

Tube amps are different Beasts!!

Hi ab,

Regarding the questions you asked in Post No. 6.

1) Obviously not as affirmed by Justin and Jeff.

2) Never heard a Class A SE tube amp in my system. Have listened to alot of jazz on my system, which contains a Pass Labs amp. Jazz and classical amount to 90% + of the music I play. I can say, as another jazz lover, that this material sounds quite musical and engaging through my SS amp.

As Justin said, we all have our own individual preferences.

GG
Hi Gordon, If you have not heard Class A SE setup then I request you to listen and compare with SS amps. If you are a Jazz lover, you will find a lot of difference in the tonal quality (specially brass and vocals) !! When I had Plinius SA-102, I did side by side comaprison bewteen the SS and AES Six pacs with Summit. Woh!! What a diff!! I could distintly remember that the guitar part of "Money For Nothing" with the Tube amp. Now the AN amp is a different beast!!. Imaging is superb with my ProAc - two speakers totally disappear! Which Unfortunately I could not attain with my Summit!! May be that I could not able to do the right placement of Summit although I have tried hours and days to find the right place !! I have sold my amp and speakers to one of my very close friend and Summits sounds much better in his Villa and I listen to my old system quite ofen. But Tube amps are tube amp at the end of the day!! Give it a try and let me know!!
Dont get me wrong - I am neither trying to prove any point nor I am trying to convince anyone.

Last edited:
Yes that was interesting.

If you asked which I'd prefer, say my old ProAc 2.5s versus the Summit, there's no way I'd pick the ProAc. Nice speakers, but they're not in the same league to these ears. The D28 is broadly the same, but more recent, than the 2.5.

Still, not all ears 'ear the same:D

Did you try with Class A SE tube amps? Unfortunate part - 20 watts is not enough to drive Summit!! Other optional speaker for low wattage SE amp is Avangarde!! Totally different sound!!
At the end of the day - What Gordon said is right - Music is very personal and each people has different type of ears!!

Last edited:
Check my system page for the single ended amps I used to use with my Ascent/Descent. They'd also drive a Summit without problems, having a 170 Watt peak delivery capability.

I'd go for the CLX, but only with 2 Descent I's and a powerful amp. If you want to use the 300Bs, the definately the Duos - forget the CLX, although a Vacuum State 300B 16 Watter has been reported to work well with them, I'd have to hear it to believe it.

I have sold my Summit at a very good price couple of months back. It is not Hypothetical it is purely mathematical Interpretation. Top of it, the AN designer also believes that ProAc would have been a better and easy load for Class A 300B SE Tube amps where current delivery to the load is much lower than SS Amps. I now have an option to go for my second speakers - either ML CLX or Avantgarde Duo. Any suggestion is welcome

Hi,

I have ML prodigy and audio research ref 600mkIII,and I have Avantgarde Duo,s with Wavelength Napoleon Silver 8 watt SE 300b.

A friend has Duo,s with Audio Note Conquest silver signature 18 watt and they do sound great,another has Lamm ML2.1 with Duo,s.

If you are staying with 300b amp,then ML is not the speaker for You.The Duo,s are designed for low powered high quality amp,the 200watt a/b amp for bass and 8ohm makes for easy load SE amps and 104db/watt

The summit does have bass amp,but panel dips very low 1 ohm and 87db/watt or less(not 8 ohm) but it does allow SS amps of lower power(100watts plus) and higher sound quality,or tube amp with lower dollar cost too.

Duo,s require attention to set up,and system matching even more important than normal.(direct connection to mid,and high horns)

Cheers Victor.

Hi ab,

I did audition, for two weeks, a VTL 150 in my system a couple of years ago.

One night I would think I would buy the amp. Another night my feelings were quite the opposite. I returned it and bought the Pass. No regrets on this end.

I recognize that there's quite the difference of opinion on valves versus SS.

Gordon

Hi ab,

I did audition, for two weeks, a VTL 150 in my system a couple of years ago.

One night I would think I would buy the amp. Another night my feelings were quite the opposite. I returned it and bought the Pass. No regrets on this end.

I recognize that there's quite the difference of opinion on valves versus SS.

Gordon
Hi Gordon
It is again a question of personal taste!!!

Hi,

I have ML prodigy and audio research ref 600mkIII,and I have Avantgarde Duo,s with Wavelength Napoleon Silver 8 watt SE 300b.

A friend has Duo,s with Audio Note Conquest silver signature 18 watt and they do sound great,another has Lamm ML2.1 with Duo,s.

If you are staying with 300b amp,then ML is not the speaker for You.The Duo,s are designed for low powered high quality amp,the 200watt a/b amp for bass and 8ohm makes for easy load SE amps and 104db/watt

The summit does have bass amp,but panel dips very low 1 ohm and 87db/watt or less(not 8 ohm) but it does allow SS amps of lower power(100watts plus) and higher sound quality,or tube amp with lower dollar cost too.

Duo,s require attention to set up,and system matching even more important than normal.(direct connection to mid,and high horns)

Cheers Victor.

Vic, You are absolutely right!!

Back