Amp?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cadethoerk said:
Yes I also have a Rotel RSP 1068 pre amp. It has a pass thu mode option when you turn it off. I was going to try the pass tru option to see if i can bypass its internals but was also asking if i can bypass it all together and go staight to the amo via tha 5 channel out. thx.

I once (long time ago when I was searching for a tube pre.)
connected my Denon CD player directly to the power amp.
For testing purpose you can connect your CD player directly to your
Rotel Power amp. I used to have a Denon CD player, its volume control
only worked when it was in the Play mode, I don't know your Denon is the
same as mine or not (in term of volume control).
If it is the same then you should turn off your Denon and your Rotel
Power amp, connect the Denon to the power amp, turn the Denon
on, press Play and adjust the volume to a minimum level, now you
can turn on the power amp. Of course if your Denon has the manual
volume control then you don't have to worry about what I've just said.

(remember this is not a long term solution due to the mismatch in term
of load between the Denon and the power amp but I've seen alot of
people using this configuration without any problems)

/Transpa.

Yes 5 channel amps. These all sound like good suggestions, now I need to listen to them with Logans? I will do some research. In another thread a couple of people were mentioning that the pre amp might be the culprit. I will try bypassing the pre and connect the DVD to amp. I was looking at some members systems and a couple are running B&K ref 50 ser 2 and have similar speakers. What do you guys think? If the pre is not the issue, then I will look at amp. Thx all for your help :D

Most likely the Rotel pre/pro

In my opinion, the culprit is most likely the Rotel pre/pro more than the Rotel amplifier itself. If you have not noticed already, the Logans are notorious for unveiling weakness anywhere in your chain, especially the components at the start of the chain (CD player, preamp, etc...) You should try out a good tube preamp to get the best result out of your system. For my system, my Meridian 565 processor does NOT sound as good as my simple tube preamp at 1/2 the price. I think this is due to all the processing done inside the Meridian, taking the "life" out of the original signal. Currently, the Meridian is only pulling HT decoding duty, while the tube pre is the main one for music!
On the 5-channel amplifier side, here are a few more you should put on your list:
1) Anthem P5
2) Bryston SST series.
3) Balanced Audio Tech (BAT)
4) ARC modular amp.

Spike

aliveatfive said:
How much are you willing to commit to your quest? Logans love tubes. They're expensive (unless you go used,) but they make a perfect symbiotic pair!

Cad,
I married a SS amp with a Tube pre and the results are astounding. My SACD is tube as well. The fun part is a little rolling can give you fantastic tweaks as well. Just for the heck of it, I hooked my MLs up to my old Carver SS integrated and the sound was much brighter. Almost to the point of sounding harsh. One song and the Carver was disconnected! I like the combination of Tube and Solid State. Experiment and see what your ears like best.

Mark

MarkNewbie said:
Cad,
I married a SS amp with a Tube pre and the results are astounding. My SACD is tube as well. The fun part is a little rolling can give you fantastic tweaks as well. Just for the heck of it, I hooked my MLs up to my old Carver SS integrated and the sound was much brighter. Almost to the point of sounding harsh. One song and the Carver was disconnected! I like the combination of Tube and Solid State. Experiment and see what your ears like best.

Mark

Now add a good vinyl front-end and you will almost make it into the current entrance to audio heaven. Though the Pass amp and SACD almost make it there. For SS, the Pass amps are really good. Not quite the magic of an all tube signal path though.

i give a second vote to B&K amps. I think they have a "warm" sound that works well with ML speakers. I tried different amps when I got my SL ll's back in '89 but once I listed to B&K I stayed with them. I worked my way through from 2 channel listening thru 7.1 using B&K ST140/ST202/4420/4430 to my present Ref 7270 amp/Ref 50 combo using my refubished SL ll's for mains, a Logos for a center and Scripts for surrounds and couldn't be happier. If you are on a budget you can find good deals on used B&K amps if you look around. I just sold an ST202 to a money challanged guy in Canada for %$200 shipped.

jjqiv said:
Now add a good vinyl front-end and you will almost make it into the current entrance to audio heaven. Though the Pass amp and SACD almost make it there. For SS, the Pass amps are really good. Not quite the magic of an all tube signal path though.

Ahhhh, the jump to vinyl. That is without a doubt, my next step. I am going to let my checkbook and savings recover from buying everything that I have so far and then a really good phono is next! I have a couple hundred LPs waiting in the wings to be played! :rolleyes:

:cool:

Just out of curiosity... anyone have experience with Parasound C2/A51 and ML's?

Thanks for any feedback you may have!

Rotel amps sound just fine with Martin Logans, that is why many dealers carry both. I had my Rotel amp hooked up to my Aerius speakers for ten years, tube power is better.

Get a good used tube amp and preamp like I did.

I also recommend using the Cardas record to clean and ease the sound of your system.

In addition you might be suffering from a spoiled power source, and may want to clean it up with a big plug-in power conditioner.

kach22i said:
Rotel amps sound just fine with Martin Logans, that is why many dealers carry both. I had my Rotel amp hooked up to my Aerius speakers for ten years, tube power is better.

Tube and Solid State Amps are a personal preference. There is no BETTER.

I have heard crappy sounding tube amps and crappy sounding solid state. Each person has to listen on their own and form their own ideas and choices.

Dan

DTB300 said:
Tube and Solid State Amps are a personal preference. There is no BETTER.
True.

Gotta be right for you, for me tubes rule...............the right solid state ain't bad either.

I've heard poorly set up solid state, and poorly set up tubes - trick is to understand what you like and why.

Latest posts

Back