All those ****** remotes!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Continuing the Harmony discussion, I just bought the 880. I do wish the transport buttons were higher like on the 680, but I'll make do.

The initial experience hasn't been very good: there is a bug in the Mac version of the remote updater code. Nowhere on the website in any help, FAQ, or other area does it mention this fact. After screwing around for several hours trying to configure and update my remote, I had to give up until I could get tech support the next day. They immediately mentioned the "known issue" with the Mac software and emailed me an update. That version (5.something) seems to work. Kudos to tech support for not making me jump through hoops, but boo-hiss to Logitech for not automatically checking for updates, or at least flagging that in their "Troubleshooting" pages as a potential issue.

The remote works all components in my system based on the default database at Harmony, except for my Sony DA4ES AVR. None of the device codes work for that unit. One option is to have the device learn the codes from your existing remote. I tried that in my first night, but found that their device template has numerous functions that do not exist on my remote, or has inputs that do not exist on the receiver. Learning and uploading each code is also painfully slow over the web. It appears that for this device at least, they must have set up some generic Sony AVR template. Their database is also missing numerous codes for that template.

You would think that you could just skip over definitions for functions that you don't use, but their website will not let you update your remote until you have entered codes for all of what it thinks are required functions, even if none of your activities use those functions. I was sending the Mute code for each of these unsupported functions, just to give the website something to chew on.

One other option is that you can upload Pronto hex codes for device functions. I'm going to see if I can find a code list at remotecentral and enter those by hand. So far I give Harmony a 2/5. The remote seems well-designed, and they have a really good concept, but they only managed to get about 95% of that right, and the remaining 5% that they get wrong almost renders the rest moot.

SteveInNC said:
The remote works all components in my system based on the default database at Harmony, except for my Sony DA4ES AVR. None of the device codes work for that unit.

Following up on my own post: As an experiment, I lied to the Harmony setup site and told it that my receiver was the next model up, the Sony DA7ES, and that seems to have fixed the problem. Everything now performs in a mostly-rational way. There are some timing issues - the default interkey and interdevice delays that Harmony uses are excessively long. Fortunately, their website will let you tweak the delays for particular devices.

The only remaining issue I have is that the "activity" to view my DirecTivo tries to always set the sat tuner to tuner 1, which is A) not very useful, and B) instead kicks into a DVR menu. This points out another weakness in the Harmony model at present: it is obvious that the activity buttons are simply doing macros, which is fine. The part that sucks is that they won't let you change the macro definitions to suit your particular needs - you're stuck with whatever a Harmony programmer decided was the right series of events to invoke. They do allow you to add functions to the end of the sequence that they use, but you can't change anything in their definition. I might have to hack their setup protocol to accomplish what I want.

SteveInNC said:
you're stuck with whatever a Harmony programmer decided was the right series of events to invoke. They do allow you to add functions to the end of the sequence that they use, but you can't change anything in their definition. I might have to hack their setup protocol to accomplish what I want.

i hear you. boy do i hear you. but you can play tricks on the device.

for example, i like to leave my VCR in "timer record" mode instead of turning it off. this way, when i'm not using my VCR and it's time to record something it does.

i just could NOT do this with the harmony. so tech support and I worked out a trick

• define the VCR to have no power button
  • each time i leave a VCR activity, send the timer command
  • each time i enter a VCR activity send the timer command followed by the power on command

works like a charm.

on the other hand, i cannot get the harmony website to communicate with the remote at my home due to my firewall. sigh. so i trundle it into work, make the changes and then bring it home at night.

version 5.x of the software will apparently fix this, it's due out next week. i volunteered to beta test, but that didn't fly.

one that that really cheeses me off is that they used to have a "simulator" on the webpage. this popped up a java image of your remote and allowed you to push the button and have the actual actions debugged in a separate window.

WOW was that ever useful. because i do my coding of the remote at work away from the equipment, it allowed me to see exactly what was happening and spot mistakes i had made or spot sequencing errors i could fix.

but they removed the simulator, so i chewed on the duty manager for a long while.

Sometimes I think that the harmony training manual has a special note or two about me. because having strong opinions, and having studied compter-human-interfacing since 1987 or so means that i seem to always get bumped up to a duty manager for further discussion :)

sad thing is, the duty manager, being more knowledgable typically can solve the problem that the front line person could not solve.

or maybe i'm just an *sshole, but since i get the answers i need when bumped up to a duty manager, exactly what behaviour are they rewarding :)

Wow, a 2/5 when the remote gets 95% of what it is suppose to do right? That's pretty steep. But, I have been there too. Yes they need a better web interface that allows more control.

Anyway, here are some more gripes.

The whole reason for choosing a remote control with "hard" keys is because you eventually learn where all the buttons are at and can then navigate by feel alone without looking away from the TV. Well that is much harder to achieve with the Harmony 676 because just about all of the buttons are the same size and texture. I think this is a major oversight. More often than not I have to light up the remote, then find the right key. Of course I will eventually "learn" the remote but the processes is taking longer than my Dish Network remote. I already have than one down pat. I have had that remote longer and I do use it more often but still, the same size/texture keys are a hinderance.

Lastly the position of the glow button is down right frustrating. It is in the middle of a bunch of other keys that are, again, the same shape and size. Half of the time I hit the 2 button instead. I actually use one of the unused LCD "soft key" buttons to light up the remote now. (This was after changing the remote settings to light up whenever any key is pressed.)

Yes with the Sony I was always forced to look at the remote to hit the right key, but at least I always hit the right key. The Harmony does come down a notch in my opinion due to the button issue but I still would choose it over the Sony because it is still a lot easier to program even with the web interface defeciancies.

One of the significant advantages of the 880 is that it has a tilt sensor which activates the backlighting. If you pick up the remote, it lights ups. The 880 also has a charging cradle and lithium battery, so the resulting excessive backlighting isn't as much of a deal as it would be on the AA powered remotes.

As to the 2/5 for 95%, if you had a Ferrari, and a wheel fell off every time you made a right turn, despite the style of the rest of the car, you probably wouldn't be very happy :) I've upped the ranking to 3/5 (Average) now, since I've managed to end-run most of the issues that I had to start with. The web interface still bites though - supposedly they have a better version in the works.

As to my DirecTivo problem, it turns out that the default Harmony code used for power-on is the "tivo" function, which sends the unit to the main menu in addition to power on. I used the custom configuration stuff to change the power-on sequence to be the "LiveTV" function instead, which will also power on the unit, but goes straight to video signal - problem solved.

Hey zaphod, if you're on a Mac, I have the version 5 software for that (it works). I can probably point you at a copy. I seem to recall that someone posted a link on the RemoteCentral site.

I am using the MRF-300 with my MX3000,
I was told that the MRF-300 has less problems that the 250 with reception and stray RF rejection.

I love it, best thing I have bought yet.

Cheers
Steve

SteveInNC said:
Hey zaphod, if you're on a Mac, I have the version 5 software for that (it works). I can probably point you at a copy. I seem to recall that someone posted a link on the RemoteCentral site.

nope, no mac. heck, technically no PeeCee either because i use my wife's at home. i'm unix (SunOS) all the way :)

but i called harmony today when i found the same s/w on the site and not upgraded. person on the phone said "hmmm, no way that should be out, they are still working on it.

back up a level to the duty manager (i promise i was nice) and i got a link to version 5.0.1

it's now on my work peecee and it seems pretty shiny. we'll see how it works at home through the firewall tonight.

Mx-3000

Well i bought the Mx-3000. Harmony was a good choice too but i went with the MX. I have to get somebody to program it. My system is too big and complicated for me to try and figure it out, especialy those MACROS! I called Tweeter but the vibes i got didn't feel right. I'll keep in touch with progress.
By the way did Joey V get his room back?​

chris03053 said:
Well i bought the Mx-3000. Harmony was a good choice too but i went with the MX. I have to get somebody to program it. My system is too big and complicated for me to try and figure it out, especialy those MACROS! I called Tweeter but the vibes i got didn't feel right. I'll keep in touch with progress.
By the way did Joey V get his room back?​

i seem to remember when i look at the MX that there was a GUI for programming it and the macros (where the strength of the product lies).

you grabbed it off the support section of the MX web site. i also seem to remember that between the MX-500 and the MX-3000, one had a really good programing GUI and one sucked. hugely.

zaphod said:
i seem to remember when i look at the MX that there was a GUI for programming it and the macros (where the strength of the product lies).

you grabbed it off the support section of the MX web site. i also seem to remember that between the MX-500 and the MX-3000, one had a really good programing GUI and one sucked. hugely.
They use one basic PC program that is just tweaked to match the remote and buttons. You need to get into the MX-700 and above to be able to program on your PC. And the program is excellent. You can easily get this remote to do about everything and the way you want it to do.

Taz said:
They use one basic PC program that is just tweaked to match the remote and buttons. You need to get into the MX-700 and above to be able to program on your PC. And the program is excellent. You can easily get this remote to do about everything and the way you want it to do.
So the manual for the 700 should by easy to understand then the 3000? I'm not too brite in the PC programming department :) but i'll give it a try. Thanks

The manual is off the hook because you can do so much. Install the program and get in there and play around is how I learned.

HK-Steve said:
I am using the MRF-300 with my MX3000,
I was told that the MRF-300 has less problems that the 250 with reception and stray RF rejection.

I love it, best thing I have bought yet.

Cheers
Steve
Hi Steve, have you tried the DMX-3000 sampler.What do you think about it? MR X

Mx-3000

Well, after 2 months of going back and forth with my " professional installer" finally got my universal remote working right. I also got this software from http://www.triplebsoftware.com. If anybody has a DVD Megaplayer IT WORKS GREAT. They give you a Demo for 24 DVDs so you can check it out

Attachments

• Dsc00917.jpg
    Dsc00917.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 94
Looks good

chris03053 said:
Well, after 2 months of going back and forth with my " professional installer" finally got my universal remote working right. I also got this software from http://www.triplebsoftware.com. If anybody has a DVD Megaplayer IT WORKS GREAT. They give you a Demo for 24 DVDs so you can check it out
That looks sooooo cool Chris. I ask Steve (Switzerland) and he said it's great. He said it takes a little time to get it going, i think he has 2 players.

MR X said:
That looks sooooo cool Chris. I ask Steve (Switzerland) and he said it's great. He said it takes a little time to get it going, i think he has 2 players.
Yeah, i'm pretty happy with it. It beats the hell out of spending 2,3 thousands dollars for a Fireball. I'm still doing a few tweeks here and there.

Latest posts

Back