Quantcast

Adding dedicated CD player need help

MartinLogan Owners (MLO)

Help Support MartinLogan Owners (MLO):

J Lustig

Reaction score
AddED dedicated CD player

Currently I am using my Denon 5900 DVD player and an older Sony 5 disc changer as my CD audio sources. I am looking at adding a dedicated single disc player for audio, which is really where my interest lies and would like some input regarding my options and maybe even ones I haven't considered. I have never owned a tube component but am giving serious thought to the Jolida 100A as it is one that I can buy relatively inexpensively right now and then send out for modding later if I choose. Otherwise I could wait a little while and maybe do the Cary 303/300. Honestly I don't have many high end audio stores in the area where I could demo any of the desired units so I would like some input from you fine peeps. Thanks

Last edited:

risabet

Reaction score
You might consider having the Denon modded. The 5900 is a wonderfully built player, universal? and IIRC there are mods out there for it, maybe even a tube output mod. Maybe a tube DAC?

Diamonds

Reaction score
The Cary is awesome! You may also want to consider a Musical Fidelity A5 or Unison Unico both are very good. You could not go wrong with any of the three and all three have a tube on the output stage.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
Several folks on the site are very happy with their modded players, I believe your Denon is an excellent candidate. Dan (DTB300) speaks highly of Modwright as well as vacuumstate.com I believe.

as far as the Cary 303/300 I've had mine in my system for a couple of months now and I have nothing but positive things to say about it's abilities.

J Lustig

Reaction score
Call me silly but while I realize that the Denon is a fine piece and well worth the idea of modding, it just doesn't give the same satisfaction as bringing a new piece of equipment into the mix. As much as I enjoy the tweaking of the sound from the pieces I also like getting a new toy. Like many of you, I had Joeyitis before it had a name although I do have to say that I am very very close to having everything the way I want it. Now all I need is a bigger house! I definitely appreciate all the comments and suggestions so far and welcome any more that you might have.

DTB300

Reaction score
J Lustig said:
Call me silly but while I realize that the Denon is a fine piece and well worth the idea of modding, it just doesn't give the same satisfaction as bringing a new piece of equipment into the mix.
Okay, so buy one of the modded players brand new from someone like Dan Wright. Here is a review of his 9100:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue28/modwright9100.htm

Vacuum State also offers a "new" modified player, if you want to go the VSE Level 5 Modded Player.

Why spend more money then you have to for top notch CD/SACD playback, or any other component for that matter????

Dan

J Lustig

Reaction score
Well actually I plan to keep the Denon in the mix for DVD purposes. I really don't do much listening to music in anything other than 2 channel which is why I was thinking a tube CD player would give me some new enjoyment. But maybe I've got it all wrong here. Maybe the Denon is the piece to keep modded or not and I should be looking at replacing the Sony 4ES that I am using as my processor with something else. It looks like the Classe SSP 75, Cary Cinema 8, and Krell 7.1 HTS are within my price range. I am so :confused: :confused: :confused:

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
J Lustig said:
I was thinking a tube CD player would give me some new enjoyment. QUOTE]

No reason for being confussed, the "mod" companies Dan was speaking about offer tubed output stages in their designs, Check 'em out !!

J Lustig

Reaction score
:D After much research and review reading, I decided to purchase a Musical Fidelity A5. It should be here on Wednesday so I am now spending some time putting together this weekends rotation. I can't wait to hear it and truly hope that it will be everything it is known for. Thanks to those that responded for your input. :D