1989 Martin Logan CLSii with Anthem AVM 20, classDaudio SMAA and streaming wav

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhd1953

Reaction score
I recently replace my Emotive processor with an Anthem AVM 20 (used $260 with shipping) and a classDaudio SMAA stereo power amp (new $700, with increased power supply for CLSs).
So, I've been going thru my entire audio collection...because clarity and definition has improved significently. I'm using the Anthem "Analog-DSP All Stereo" playback mode.
Long ago (1989) I started with an Audio Research SP-9, Pioneer Spec-4 (dual mono) Amp, records and reel to reel tapes (recorded from records).
Now streaming wav files from my pc (using the imbedded sound card) I'm getting amazing detail:
City of Prague Philharmonic Orch (1997)Goldfinger, from HDtracks download
Peter, Paul and Mary (A'soalin', Gone the Rainbow, 500 Miles, Bamboo, Sorrow)
David Arkenstone-Amarantine (feat.David Davidson)
Chet Atkins- A Summer Place and Tammy
Don Williams-I Believe in You
and more, of course. I create play lists in VLC media player and edit out the lower quality recordings. Streaming a compilation of songs by different artists really highlights the mastering techniques, composition, performances and audio quality.
Not only are the lead vocals clearer, but the quiet backing instruments are just there. The Prague Philharmonic Orch. performance and soundstage is the most impressive recording I've ever heard.
I believe the Anthem AVM 20 originally sold for $4,400. Upgrades don't have to be expensive! My pc audio will be the next upgrade.

Back