CLX Home in Michigan

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenscollick

Reaction score
Picked them up yesterday still tweaking them but sounding great.

As the late Paul Harvey would say "now for the rest of the story"

Like the rest of the members on this site, I have been thinking about CLX's since they came out. My good friend Chris was the only person that I knew that had actually heard them and he could do nothing but rave about them. Not being a man of wealth I know I could not afford new and would have to wait for them on the used market. Probably the first set was the guy in Chicago that had the Cherry pair. Very tempting but I was not quite ready plus the cherry was probably my least favorite finish so I held out.

Last week another cherry pair showed up on the Gon great price also in Chicago. [I am not sure if it is the same pair, never asked]

I looked at them for 4 days but just couldnt get my arms around the cherry finish. Finially on Friday feeling like Meat Loaf the feeling came upon me like a tidal wave I couldnt take it anymore I dialed the phone, had to leave a message that only heightened my excitement. Albert called back in just a few minutes and after a brief conversation informed me thay he had a deposit on the pair. Damn that is what i get for waiting. Would you be interested in a pair of 25th. anniversary models, black new in the box? Of course I would but $25000 is way out of my price range. How about $13500? The only answer I could think of was YES.

His ad said trades considered so while I was on a roll I asked what he would give me for my Prodigys $3500 was his reply.again the right answer. I gave him a deposit on my credit card and if was off to the races. For too many reasons I would not be able to pick them up in Chicago until Tuesday. Way too much time to think about everything that could go wrong. If it sounds too good to be true it probably is kept going through my mind.

Tuesday took forever to get here and when it came I was ready Chris was coming over about 7:00am the trailer ws reserved and the tank was full.
First SNAFU the guy that had the trailer hadnt brought it back I know that becuse I seen it on the way Called the guy and he was apolegitic but that wasnt getting me a trailer to make a long story short Chris and I went and talked to the guy that hadnt brought it back pulled a couple of things out of it and hooked up.

About 6 hours later we were backing up a very narrow alley on the north side Albert met us we swapped speakers and money listened to his demo pair of 25th anniv. CLX's and pointed the Durango toward Michigan. I am sure that i was going faster on the way back it wsnt too long we were grunting the coffin sized boxes into my living room.

What a delight these speakers are right out of the boxes they are incredible. I will reserve my thoughts until I have had a chance to move tham around a bit and let them break in.

Dealing with Albert was a pleasure he is very sharp on the products that he sells and I would not hesitate buying from him again.

Gotta go I have listening to do.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 525
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 527
AHHHH .:D Im still trying to get this "Joker" Looking grin of my face from listening to them with Krell and the Wadia in a real room. The sound was fantastic as usual from these world class loudspeakers. I have never seen 2 adults act like a few kids after they loaded up on candy.

The look is the best I have seen. This is the first time I have seen the black anodized aluminum. The anniversary ones I have heard were silver. The black is AWSOME. The sound is just as good as Ken's room is BIG and he has PLENTY of power with the Krell. The stage was wall to wall and as deep as 10 feet. Details were tight and smooth. the sound was amazing.

Ken opened up with Sissel , the usual for both of us for demo material. Ken and I both agree the female voice is key in tonality and detail when setting up these ESL. We continued to listen to a few more discs until Ken made an announcement. "lets see what these bass panels can do" ...............:eek::D

I already knew form my demos with these, so I said lets turn them up!:devil: He put in Elton Johns "Funeral for a Friend" . The beginning synthesizers and the piano were incredible. The bass that is hidden in that recording is rarely brought out as its so multi layered and most speakers just muddle it up. This I can tell you ! We were at 100db and it was FANTASTIC. Best I had ever heard. Those who say Krell is not there cup of tea have never heard Krell done right. The ability of these speakers in Kens large room to purvey a live performance is incredible. These are only with less than an 1 hr under their belt. I can only imagine what they will sound like after 100 hrs. Thank God I live close to Ken and he likes Fat Tire!

Here is Ken with a look of amazement !

Attachments

• CLX KEN.jpg
    CLX KEN.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 518
WOW what a great price!!! Congratulations and an awesome find. :bowdown:

I have always wondered on the CLX it there a left and right speaker? Should the bass panes be on the outside or inside?

Last edited:
OH
MY
GOD
!!!

:eek1:

WOW.. awesome story.. Great price. Lucky you.. Can't wait to hear your detailed review once they're broken in!!

big congrats, Ken!

WOW what a great price!!! Congratulations and an awesome find. :bowdown:

Seconded! Well done, and a great find (he says somewhat enviously)!

I have always wondered on the CLX it there a left and right speaker? Should the bass panes be on the outside or inside?

Yes, they have a left and a right. Bass panels should be on the outside, IIRC. The set up manual on ML's web site probably has the definitive answer.

I can't wait for the full write up and more pics!!!

Very happy (and much like Rich Teer - envious), for you. What a fun journey you have ahead!!!

Congratulations, Ken! I can only imagine how great they sound - and will sound after you tweak the setup.

So many new CLX owners, I'm experiencing speaker envy.:p

"Funeral For a Friend" sounds INCREDIBLE on the CLXs.

Great choice.

Dang! I'm green with envy!

After listening to Kens CLX, I went and listened to my CLS and had a Funeral for a friend!:(

Congratulations!

It must be true. "Luck is being prepared for an oppurtunity":bowdown:

Congrats Ken, they sure look great!

Enjoy the tunes my friend.

After listening to Kens CLX, I went and listened to my CLS and had a Funeral for a friend!:(

CAP, that's exactly what happened to me when I heard the CLX in Lawrence and then went back home to my pathetic reQuests. LOL!! Joey-itis hit HARD.... so hard that I bought Joey's Summits!! ha!

I have heard them several times and each time its just the same disappointment that you suffer after they mesmerize you. .

However Ken lives 15 min away and is retired so I have lots of opportunity to listen !

Grinning like an Idiot

Damn these are good I am no virgin when it comes to great speakers but I gotta tell you these are special. Just now taking a break the Krell is too hot to touch and so are my ears. Kinda reminds me of the commercial for the blue pill if you have an eargasm that last for over four hours call everybody you know.

Moved them around a bunch of times and wouldnt you know it they sound real good just about where the Prodigy panels were. Got them about 6feet apart with an inch of toe, I started about 3" the demos at the store were toed in about 6' I knew that was too much. the stage is deep and wide detail to die for. The bass is generous and tight hared to imagine it will get better but we will see.

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
You have to be pinching yourself what a nice find

I hope you enjoy them for many years to come

Ken,

Congrats, you are just now starting on another journey, enjoy.

And when you are ready there is a bass tweak that will blow your mind on what kind of bass the CLX panels can produce, although it sounds like your mind is already blown.:D

First order either 2 or 4 stablizer discs from Herbies Audio Lab. They cost 20 bucks a pair and are used to decouple mass from speaker cabinets, amps, cd players, etc.

Then go to Home Depot and pick up a packet or two of polished black granite tiles. They will pretty much be invisible on your black CLXs although the polished black granite does look stunning.

You will need 4 per speaker to lay on the top of the back of the CLX cabinets, right behind the panels. I started with just 2 stacked on top of each other with one stabilizer puck to decouple the granite from the speaker cabinets but I ended up adding two more per speaker to give a solid reflective surface across the entire panel.

Anyway this whole thing will cost you less than 100 bucks and it takes whole 60 seconds to install, but the bass you get from the panels is amazing.

And yeah I know they sound good now, but just wait. As the saying goes, you ain't heard nothin yet;

Back