What Are You Listening To Right Now?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you got a hankerin’ for rockin-out Dire Straits style... might I recommend "Private Investigations" from their live album "On The Night"? In planning an annual school buddy convergence here at chez-todd, I've been thinking about the music we used to listen to back in the day (late 70s, early 80s). Dire Straits was a staple at parties etc and generally evokes happy thoughts of care-free youth adventures (tightly coupled with the occasional brush with the law). I always gravitated toward the Love Over Gold album, wearing those grooves down low. With the original album version of Private Investigations fully embossed in my gooey grey folds, I decided to play the live version just now at near concert levels (well, peaking at 100dB SPL anyway). All I can say is "Holy Sh*t, Dude! Pass that roach". I was and still am a little blown away by the virtually opaque wall of acoustical energy leaping off those glassy CLX membranes. Sharp staccato guitar, piano crescendos, and insane electric guitar/synth assaults in the best possible manner and combination. A very live, and very well recorded event (back in 96 I think). So if you feel like your face needs just a little melting, cue this one up with as little attenuation as you can manage. You won’t be sorry (until you find yourself looking for that non-existent roach ).

p.s. My daughter just came in and said “'Night Dad, I’m going to bed... could you maybe not play your music quite so loud? I heard it earlier but waited till your song was over. Thanks. Love you.” Now I ask you, does it get any better than that? I think not.

Attachments

• 610R0T4MYZL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    610R0T4MYZL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 150
Last night the Wife and I listened to Chris Botti: Live with Orchestra and Special Guests on [Blu-ray]. The new Montis speakers were unbelievable. Does anyone have other Blu-ray concerts they would recommend? Thanks!

51pwx-Gbm1L.jpg
512wb3f9cEL.jpg

Last night the Wife and I listened to Chris Botti: Live with Orchestra and Special Guests on [Blu-ray]. The new Montis speakers were unbelievable. Does anyone have other Blu-ray concerts they would recommend? Thanks!

51pwx-Gbm1L.jpg
512wb3f9cEL.jpg

The Last Waltz
Roy Orbison and Friends: A Black and White Night
Talking Heads Stop Making Sense
U2 Rattle & Hum
Adele at Royal Albert Hall
John Mayer Live in LA
Heart Live

The Last Waltz
Roy Orbison and Friends: A Black and White Night
Talking Heads Stop Making Sense
U2 Rattle & Hum
Adele at Royal Albert Hall
John Mayer Live in LA
Heart Live

+1 on the John Mayer Blu-Ray... really great concert.

+1 on the John Mayer Blu-Ray... really great concert.

Had listened to it on B&W 685s and was let down - by the speakers. Didn't sound natural.

On the EM ESLs, it's amazing. Robbie McIntosh on the slide guitar is phenominal, Mayer can play too - love these guys together and when David Ryan Harris joins them it gets even better! 3 great guitarists and the MLs reproduce it perfectly. Great clarity, openness and easily plays all three independently with great detail and separation.

Though generally classified as contemporary folk, Colvin is nothing if not endlessly inventive. Another Plane Went Down, for example, is practically psychedelic as vibrato steel guitar weaves within the soundfield throughout the song. As with all of her albums, John Leventhal and the crew really know how to engineer - every vocal, every instrument is placed, or displaced, to perfection. A lovely album.

30bfp00.jpg

Hi Ken... yep, big SC fan here as well. One of my fav tracks is Satin Sheets - a live recoding from her "Cover Girl" release.

Saw her many moons ago up here in Portland. Amazing talent!

Hi Ken... yep, big SC fan here as well. One of my fav tracks is Satin Sheets - a live recoding from her "Cover Girl" release.

Saw her many moons ago up here in Portland. Amazing talent!
How 'bout Mary Chapin Carpenter, Todd? Not a huge fan of her earlier, more countrified albums, but her later stuff - Time, Sex, Love/Between Here and Gone/The Calling are all on a regular rotation at my house.

I'm also a HUGE Shawn Colvin fan. I have everything she's ever done on both vinyl and CD. She did a song for the "Dawson's Creek 2 Soundtrack" called "Never Saw Blue Like That". It's one of my reference songs. It always brings tears to my eyes after listening to it. I really like Mary Chapin Carpenter too.

How 'bout Mary Chapin Carpenter, Todd? Not a huge fan of her earlier, more countrified albums, but her later stuff - Time, Sex, Love/Between Here and Gone/The Calling are all on a regular rotation at my house.

I've never really spent any time listening to MCC. I'll look into her now though based on your recommendation. Thanks

I'm also a HUGE Shawn Colvin fan. I have everything she's ever done on both vinyl and CD. She did a song for the "Dawson's Creek 2 Soundtrack" called "Never Saw Blue Like That". It's one of my reference songs. It always brings tears to my eyes after listening to it. I really like Mary Chapin Carpenter too.
Chapin Carpenter's John Doe No. 24 has the same effect on me, though that's more the ineffably sad lyrics than the melody, I think. I'll hunt down a copy of the Dawson's Creek disc, thanks!

Last edited:
I have heard of this artist, but never heard any of his stuff. I saw him perform on the Grammys and really like the song he did. Just got done listening to "Doo-wops and Hooligans", (thank you MOG) and really enjoyed it.

Bruno Mars-"Doo-wops and Hooligans"

ref=dp_image_0

Back