What Are You Listening To Right Now?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ask youself - do I like Massive Attack? If the answer is yes, buy this. Tis called "No Protection" and is a re-make of the obvious original.

51J8RN9RKRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I hadn't listened to it for ages until tonight - forgotten all about it, TBH. But is sounds spectacular on both Apogees and Logans. Vey good indeed, as are some other Mad Prof offerings. Other goodies if you like this are:

Dub Maniacs On The Rampage
Psychedelic Dub
Mad Professor Meets The Scientist At The Dub Table

They are all sonically very entertaining (and excellent sounding) to say the least.

Ask youself - do I like Massive Attack? If the answer is yes, buy this. Tis called "No Protection" and is a re-make of the obvious original.

I hadn't listened to it for ages until tonight - forgotten all about it, TBH. But is sounds spectacular on both Apogees and Logans. Vey good indeed, as are some other Mad Prof offerings. Other goodies if you like this are:

Dub Maniacs On The Rampage
Psychedelic Dub
Mad Professor Meets The Scientist At The Dub Table

They are all sonically very entertaining (and excellent sounding) to say the least.

My son is deep into dub-step music at the mo. Skrillex has taken over this house.

First up today was Night Train: The Oscar Peterson Trio. This ORG reissue 45rpm sounds fantastic and the performances likewise. This was a birthday gift to me from one of my listening session buddies for my 60th birthday a little over a week ago. Fifty seven people came to my party and I had said "No Gifts", ha ha. Well, I got a few, anyway. This is a wonderful album.
DSC04658-M.jpg

I decided to listen to some more albums I received as gifts and the next one I listened to was Soulville: Ben Webster Quintet. This album has it all, great sound, great musicianship and wonderful music. This album has those moments when it seems to reach into your soul and connect in a very viscous way, definite goose-bump territory. This 180 gram reissue is by 52nd Street Records.
DSC04661-M.jpg

Last up was also a gift, Otis Redding: Live In Europe. I was looking forward to listening to this, as it contains some of his greatest songs, yet the sound quality was so poor that doubt I'll listen to it again. This is a Sundazed reissue and the lack of sound quality probably has to do with the original recording, as it sounds like the concert was played through a public address system! Too bad.
DSC04665-M.jpg

Genesis: Duke. It's been a while. EM/ESLs still factory tight and a bit bass shy. Little by little unfolding. -Rick

Bernard,

I defy you to proclaim this performance of Bach's French Suite #5 as being even slightly unemotional. :p

Samples can be heard here.

Berlin-Concert.jpg

Wow! Just listened to the preview of this in iTunes. Found the CD and ordered it. Coming to Canada by the way of New York. Really looking forward to this. Also ordered another Loreena McKennitt CD.

Listened to the MP3 brief previews and I'm definitely interested, so please do bring it! Meanwhile, I signed up to be notified if it comes back into print and placed an ongoing search on eBay.

Stellamara is truly an oddity. Middle eastern/balkan. Gorgeous voice coupled with a wide variety of instruments I've never heard of. Best to listen to the samples and see if it appeals before buying. Try The Seven Valleys, for a start.

4rdlk7.jpg

It's retro night.. I remember listening to Grand Illusion on 8-track (remember them) back in '77 in the car with the girlfriend on the way to the cottage. Just released blu-ray and a Dennis DeYoung DVD I purchased when I saw his show in 2006. Reminiscing with my new wife (who was the GF back in '77 - we reconnected after 30 years)

Attachments

• cover_5389122012_r.jpg
    cover_5389122012_r.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 144
  • s-music-of-styx.jpg
    s-music-of-styx.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 136
The latest Punch Brothers effort "Who's Feeling Young Now?" released 2/14/2012 on the Nonesuch label is a sonic adventure. Two of the twelve tracks are instrumental and I consider this acoustic music with a unique Folk/Americana/Bluegrass style.

Attachments

• Punch.jpg
    Punch.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 136
Todd,

I listened to several samples of the CD. Some of them certainly are not unemotional, but here is my impression of what I heard:

The first sample gave me an empty "Take me out and shoot me" hopeless feeling. Here is where I like the strength of Beethoven in even his saddest music. It says "Come and fight", instead.

The second sample was mathematically correct but sounded detached.

Sample 22 was beautiful, but had me thinking about how wonderful it would have sounded if Beethoven had composed it. In my head I was filling in what I thought was missing (no, I don't pretend to be Beethoven).

I suggest you buy the CD of Murray Perahia playing Schubert's "Stāndchen" (the famous serenade) to get an idea of what I consider both beautiful and emotional. I heard Perahia play it live, and it was truly outstanding.

Latest posts

Back