What Are You Listening To Right Now?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the Olive tree :) How do you like your 04HD?

I've had it about 2 months and have gotten about 1220 CDs loaded. It took awhile for me to learn it, (I have a slow learning curve with computer type stuff). It's REALLY COOL! I read and read and read about computer audio gear and got more confused the more I read. I did like the series of articles in The Absolute Sound though. The Olive 04HD solved all of that for me! I'm still using my Squeezebox Duet for Pandora and MOG. I've heard rumours that Olive will be adding those in the next software release. The Maestro editing software is excellent and easy to use. I did have to do a lot of editing, but once learned, it's pretty simple.

I'm running the Olive not only via it's own analog outputs, but also the digital out to my Eastern Electric Minimax DAC. The analog outs sound very good, but the Minimax adds that extra warmth, sweetness and sounds a little more romantic, which is what I am looking for. The Olive DAC has more detail and focus, but sounds just a little hard and brittle to me.

I've had it about 2 months and have gotten about 1220 CDs loaded. It took awhile for me to learn it, (I have a slow learning curve with computer type stuff). It's REALLY COOL! I read and read and read about computer audio gear and got more confused the more I read. I did like the series of articles in The Absolute Sound though. The Olive 04HD solved all of that for me! I'm still using my Squeezebox Duet for Pandora and MOG. I've heard rumours that Olive will be adding those in the next software release. The Maestro editing software is excellent and easy to use. I did have to do a lot of editing, but once learned, it's pretty simple.

I'm running the Olive not only via it's own analog outputs, but also the digital out to my Eastern Electric Minimax DAC. The analog outs sound very good, but the Minimax adds that extra warmth, sweetness and sounds a little more romantic, which is what I am looking for. The Olive DAC has more detail and focus, but sounds just a little hard and brittle to me.

Cool. Glad you're enjoying it. I run mine via dig-coax to a W4S DAC2... really great sound. Also like the excellent iPhone control app. Makes song selection a snap.

Cheers

Is this the one Bernard? The Amazon sample and rave reviews suggest a potential purchase. It was recorded when I was a about 18mo old and is touted for it's excellent SQ. Cool!
That brief sample sure does sound like it, but I can't find my LP to check the date; the LP is very old though, and it's the same choir. Go for it, if only for that one piece. It is sung at Easter, by candlelight, and the candles are extinguished one by one.

Cool. Glad you're enjoying it. I run mine via dig-coax to a W4S DAC2... really great sound. Also like the excellent iPhone control app. Makes song selection a snap.

Cheers

I guess this makes me the junior Olive. Just a couple of weeks with mine and the first 100 or so CDs loaded. So far really, really liking it, especially the convenience of the Olive App. Already changing my listening habits, including more time with the music. Nice sounds!

Todd, thanks for the advice on the back-up HD. I have one on order.

Last edited:
Todd, thanks for the advice on the back-up HD. I have one on order.

No problemo... I'd love to see Olive add a programmable/automated back-up feature... it would be nice to not have to remember not to forget to remember to connect the HDD and press the backup button... I mean, come on, do they really expect us to endure that level of manual labor/trauma every backup? Sheeesh ;)

Also, Fox, where did you hear those Olive--->Pandora/MOG rumours? I'd definitely welcome that added functionality. Thanks.

No problemo... I'd love to see Olive add a programmable/automated back-up feature... it would be nice to not have to remember not to forget to remember to connect the HDD and press the backup button... I mean, come on, do they really expect us to endure that level of manual labor/trauma every backup? Sheeesh ;)

Also, Fox, where did you hear those Olive--->Pandora/MOG rumours? I'd definitely welcome that added functionality. Thanks.

Todd, you're SO right! I recently had the unfortunate experience of my internal HD crash on my MacBook, but with the Time Machine automatic backup, everything was completely restored onto the new HD, down to the exact move on my most recent chess game. Just an outstanding -- if surprising -- result.

And, yeah, Olive -- bring it ON!

Last edited:
Todd, you're SO right! I recently had the unfortunate experience of my internal HD crash on my MacBook, but with the Time Machine automatic backup, everything was completely restored onto the new HD, down to the exactmove on my most recent chess game. Just an outstanding -- if surprising -- result.

And, yeah, Olive -- bring it ON!

I'm doing a back-up now... completely exhausted from having to:

1) Turn on the Olive
2) Turn on the HDD
3) Connect the HDD to the Olive via USB
4) Wait for the Olive and HDD to handshake
5) Select the "backup" option on the Olive touchscreen
6) Make a cup of Hawaiian Kona blend in my new Keurig that Santa brought me
7) Examine the percent-completed indicator on the Olive at least 100 times as the backup progresses
8) Wonder why Olive could be so very, very cruel
9) Fire up Pandora on my desktop
10) Contemplate the need to visit the DMV to renew my liscense which expires in 5 days

ad nauseum ;)

A friend of mine that owns a rep company told me. Not sure where he heard it. He also said that there might be the ability to back-up just what has been added since the last back-up, instead of the whole thing every time. My back-up to external HD took 36hours! :eek1:

A friend of mine that owns a rep company told me. Not sure where he heard it. He also said that there might be the ability to back-up just what has been added since the last back-up, instead of the whole thing every time. My back-up to external HD took 36hours! :eek1:

Yeah, Olive recommends overnight (holds down on the status checking, I guess that would be for Todd, although I'm not sure how often he follows directions...:D). And with your extensive library, Fox, I can see how that would take quite a bit of time.:eek:

I'm doing a back-up now... completely exhausted from having to:

1) Turn on the Olive
2) Turn on the HDD
3) Connect the HDD to the Olive via USB
4) Wait for the Olive and HDD to handshake
5) Select the "backup" option on the Olive touchscreen
6) Make a cup of Hawaiian Kona blend in my new Keurig that Santa brought me
7) Examine the percent-completed indicator on the Olive at least 100 times as the backup progresses
8) Wonder why Olive could be so very, very cruel
9) Fire up Pandora on my desktop
10) Contemplate the need to visit the DMV to renew my liscense which expires in 5 days

ad nauseum ;)
We really feel for you Todd :p

Todd, I'm boring these days as far as variety is concerned. I'm totally hooked on Marta Gomez's "Afri-Spaans", and have been listening to it a lot. Oh, and test tones from the Omnimic CD :eek:

Inbar Bakal - Song of Songs

I'd describe this as a rich, melodic, almost hypnotic tapestry of middle-eastern influenced music. One can almost smell the smoldering spiced incense in the busy, colorful open market. Oh, and mind the camel-patties :p

Attachments

• 519UhLTrPFL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    519UhLTrPFL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 113
Inbar Bakal - Song of Songs

I'd describe this as a rich, melodic, almost hypnotic tapestry of middle-eastern influenced music. One can almost smell the smoldering spiced incense in the busy, colorful open market. Oh, and mind the camel-patties :p
Alas, un-available, even via eBay, except as MP3. Own any Stellamara, Todd?

Alas, un-available, even via eBay, except as MP3. Own any Stellamara, Todd?

If you're really interested Ken, I'll try to remember to bring Inbar with me next time I'm in SoCal. It really is a nice (if short at just 6 tracks) selection of songs of Song of Songs. And I'll have to look into Stellamara. Similar to what I discribe?

If you're really interested Ken, I'll try to remember to bring Inbar with me next time I'm in SoCal. It really is a nice (if short at just 6 tracks) selection of songs of Song of Songs. And I'll have to look into Stellamara. Similar to what I discribe?
Listened to the MP3 brief previews and I'm definitely interested, so please do bring it! Meanwhile, I signed up to be notified if it comes back into print and placed an ongoing search on eBay.

Stellamara is truly an oddity. Middle eastern/balkan. Gorgeous voice coupled with a wide variety of instruments I've never heard of. Best to listen to the samples and see if it appeals before buying. Try The Seven Valleys, for a start.

4rdlk7.jpg

Thanks Ken for the pointer. The samples have piqued my interest.

BTW, and perhaps this is more suited to a PM, or not, in the event others might be interested... where was I?... Oh, if you look at my attached image of Inbar's cover art, you'll notice it shows up with the words "attached image" with a greyish background, whereas your Stellamara art is cleanly inserted. How are you attaching your images if I may be so bold as to ask?

Oh, if you look at my attached image of Inbar's cover art, you'll notice it shows up with the words "attached image" with a greyish background, whereas your Stellamara art is cleanly inserted. How are you attaching your images if I may be so bold as to ask?
Use the "Insert Image" icon in the toolbox, not the "Attachments". I use tinypic to host the image, itself.

Last edited:
Got it... I thought I tried this before and it still had some artifacts, but looks like it works now. Thanks

atomic-blast-images.jpg
Use the "Insert Image" icon in the toolbox, not the "Attachments". I use tinypic to host the image, itself.

Genre: Classical/Bluegrass -- a clash of genres...

Released in October 2011 on the Sony Masterworks label "The Goat Rodeo Sessions" includes the talents of Yo-Yo Ma, Stuart Duncan, Edgar Meyer and Chris Thile. This disc has 11 tracks, two of which include the vocals Aoife O'Donovan (Crooked Still).

This disc has some great music by world class musicians and I'd say this is a classical mash up with bluegrass with a very unique sound.

Attachments

• Goat.jpg
    Goat.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 148

Latest posts

Back