System #95 (ReQuest originally, then CLS IIz , now YG Acoustic Carmel's)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lookin good...you do realize Tim that that area is crying out......build my room...build my room !!

As in the movie, Field of Dreams.....build it, and they will come ! hell, at least I'll be out, I owe you dinner !

I still owe you two a beer!

we'll have to celebrate when Tim is done.

Erik

Thanks for the comments guys. No real progress on the room I'm afraid. Originally I had planned on using our Home Equity Line of Credit to finance the construction, but thanks to the economic debacle the bank has frozen that funding - don't get me started.

I've been talking to one of my neighboors who is a contractor and I may have him do it sort of piecemeal, a wall or two at a time when I have the cash. It'll take a lot longer than I'd like, but at least there will be some progress.

Damn Economy!!! :mad:

In the meantime I can't bitch too much. I DO have a pretty decent system for taking the edge off....;)

I just found a picture of my system from our old house a loooong time ago. It was posted on the old forum (System #28). Things have changed quite a bit since then!

Attachments

• OLD Syst01.jpg
    OLD Syst01.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:
Cooooool ! .....did you keep Sandy all tied up in that "closet thingie" in the middle ? looks rather Romanesque, oh well I do have a somewhat demented mind !!

Those two black boxes lower right........Rogue M-120's by chance ?

Oh the days < I had the Quest and do remember. The center closet that holds all the whips and chains is a real blessing ! :ROFL:Sonically and visually !

Those two black boxes lower right........Rogue M-120's by chance ?

You are quite correct Dave. They were great amps with the ReQuests. I've wondered how they might sound with my CLS's now. I do miss them. I am very happy with the BAT VK-6200, but there is a bit of that "magic" missing at the very heart of the midrange that I've only experienced with tubes. Only reason I parted with them to be honest was because the arrangement I had at the old house required that they be stacked as you see here, and that led to thermal issues that were going to eventually cause problems with the amps. Heavy sigh...

Someday I'd still enjoy having a nice set of tubed monoblocks around, be they either the M-150's like you have or a set of BAT VK-120's or VK-150's.

Attachments

• Rogue M120.jpg
    Rogue M120.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:
Oh the days < I had the Quest and do remember. The center closet that holds all the whips and chains is a real blessing ! :ROFL:Sonically and visually !

That armoire is a great piece of furniture (we call it the "Viking chest"), but it wreaked havoc with imaging. Even in my much smaller room now I have a much better soundstage and significantly better imaging by having no big boxes between the speakers.

The whips and chains had to be put into storage I'm afraid, we use that cabinet for our TV and home theater in the family room now.

Someday I'd still enjoy having a nice set of tubed monoblocks around, be they either the M-150's like you have or a set of BAT VK-120's or VK-150's.

Tim, while twice the price of my M-150's you should also consider these when the time comes.......

http://www.rogueaudio.com/Products_Apollo.htm

I've got an invite from Mark O'brien (whenever I can get my butt up there !) to listen to them driving his "Vandy" 5-A's. While 10k is not cheap, given the power and ability I suspect one could spend alot more and not do as well, which is how I feel with regards to my M-150's.

Hm, I think it's very suspiciously Iron Maiden like...:D Tim could be a serial killer, I guess:)

Tim could be a serial killer, I guess:)

I can’t seem to face up to the facts.
I’m tense and nervous and I... can’t relax.
I can’t sleep, cause my bed’s on fire.
Don’t touch me I’m a real live wire.

Psycho Killer
Qu'est-ce que c'est?
fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa better
Run run run run run run run away
OH OH OH

Talking Heads - Psycho Killer
One of my all time favorites, especially the live version on "Stop Making Sense".

Last edited:
Yup - you're right, I should have said "psycho"... and done the quote.

Life is full of missed opportunities. And I was thinking you wouldn't know what to say to it...:)

The whole system is nice but I have a real soft spot for vintage Marantz components. Particularly their tuners I have a 105B which is in my bedroom system

Added Sonos

Updated System page with new Sonos Networked Streaming Audio setup.

I picked up 2 Sonos ZP-90 Zone Players (one for the main system and one for the HT in the family room), their CR100 Zone Controller and a Netgear Ready NAS Duo with 1.5TB of storage to stream all of my lossless files. It took me about 35 minutes to set up all the Sonos gear. I didn't get the NAS until about 2 days later, so there was another half hour setting that up, plus almost 3 hours to transfer all of my lossless files over to the main drive, plus the backup on the RAID device.

With the Sonos connected to my Dodson Audio DAC I'm very pleased with the sound overall, and absolutely love the convenience of the system and being able to pull up anything I want anytime I want. The NAS allows me to listen to music without the computer being on thanks in no small part to the superb CR100 controller. I can browse my entire collection, set up playlists, stream internet radio etc., all from wherever I want. Very cool to sit out on the patio around the firepit and listen to anything I want and be able to control it all from there!

Attachments

• Sonos01.jpg
    Sonos01.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 600
  • Sonos02.jpg
    Sonos02.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 601
  • Sonos03.jpg
    Sonos03.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 606
Last edited:
Enjoy!

The qsonix system that was in the ML room in the Bristol hi-fi show - I just found out the asking price. It's over £5000... gulp!

The Sonos seems to look smart, and not be a stupid price. Got to admire it for that.

"I can hear your system through the photo"!

Gorgeous system.......................it looks like it was born to play beautiful music!!!!!!!!!!!! When I look at some of these systems, something comes over me!!!! I guess you could call it "Audiophoristic Transimilation"!!!!!!!!!!!!Of course I have no clue what that means........but that's what comes over me when looking at splendid gear like this!!!!!!!!lol

wow! very nice system! i just bought a house in westminster in august, we are close to one another. systems like yours are why i have been sheepish to show my meager little thing in this forum of giants.

FWIW, you should look into some room treatments, they are very easily moved to a new room someday and really open up what your listening too. DIY isnt hard or expensive. i could even point you toward local suppliers i havebeen using as im on the verge of finishing my rom now. the experts say 30% of every system is the room....and my experience confirms that.

Thanks for the comments Jimna (Jim?), since we're so close to one another we should set up some joint listening sessions. You shouldn't feel sheepish about your system though, it's all a journey. If it connects you with your music that's all that matters. My system has been an evolutionary work. I'm an old geezer, it's taken me years to get here.

I'd like to see what you've done with room treatments. I keep thinking I'll wait until I can build my dedicated room, but that seems to be taking much longer than I would have thought a year or two ago. Between the economy and the fact that we're down to one income now (wife got laid off when Sun Microsystems got bought by Oracle and decided to make the carrer change and go into Nursing school), I'm not sure when the construction will ever begin. Given that, some home brew room treatments might be the next step after all.

Between the economy and the fact that we're down to one income now (wife got laid off when Sun Microsystems got bought by Oracle and decided to make the carrer change and go into Nursing school), I'm not sure when the construction will ever begin. Given that, some home brew room treatments might be the next step after all.

The Oracle acquisition of Sun hasn't gone through just yet. Seems like our friends in the EU don't understand open source software and are currently blocking the deal. Apparently, they're concerned about MySQL being in Oracle's hands. Here's a hint for the EU: it's open source, any one can keep MySQL going! Besides, I'm more of a Postgres guy myself. But now we're way off topic!

yes its Jim, Jim Mimna. we should get together. i need to finish this place first though. I guess I will post my system then when im done, im almost there. I actually have a thread on a tapers forum I belong to of my progress with how I built my traps and everything. once Im done Ill post something similar here. FWIW I can really help since I know who to get the materials from locally and how to put it all together. Im totally amazed at the difference the treatments make.

I sure hope my journey takes me to the levels yours has. I would sell a kidney to be sporting your rig.

I must warn you, Im a deadhead, I listen to all the old hippy dippy stuff, mostly live too. As an audiophile this makes me conflicted, I know.

Digital Redux

I've re-arranged a few things on the digital side of my system. Since I bought the Oppo BDP-83 to spin Blu-Ray's in the Family Room, my older Sony DVP-S9000es was freed up to serve as a transport only in the main listening room. I've got it and the Sonos feeding my Dodson Audio DA-217 MkII DAC so that I can use the high quality analog outputs from the Esoteric DV-50S for SACD and Redbook. I didn't have the digital output from the Esoteric feeding the Dodson since it disables the digital output when you use the high quality analog out's (Balanced). Since the Dodson decodes HDCD I've been enjoying all of my discs that utilize that process quite a bit lately. I'd forgotten how good the HDCD encoded disc's sound, and for that matter what a great DAC the Dodson is regardless of format. On HDCD encoded material it's pretty stiff competition for some of my SACD's!

Attachments

• DigitalStack01.jpg
    DigitalStack01.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 466
Back