System #95 (ReQuest originally, then CLS IIz , now YG Acoustic Carmel's)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the hints C.A.P. - I'll keep them in mind.

Bernard, I'm working on measurements as I find the time. I'll post a plan here soon with overall room dimensions, but if I had to guess I'd say about 18' wide by about 24' deep for the main listening area. Not a bad ratio if using the Golden Mean, except for the height, which ideally should be about 12'-8", and I'll be lucky to manage 8' in most area's and 7' where the air ducts run. I'll make the most of it where I can and put some cool cove lighing in the higher areas so that you don't notice it that much visually, but I am concerned about it acoustically.

Neil - duh, I dunno, we actually enjoy working out?

Last edited:
It's just you left me wondering what would happen to the exercise equipment; will it stay in the new listening room?

No, no, not at all. That's what I was saying about a new exercise room behind the wall that will hold all of the albums. I'm working on the plan right now and that will make it clearer once I post it here.

Tim, how about connecting the exercise equipment to a generator to power your system, so that you do not become a couch potato listening to music? :D

On second thoughts, maybe not - you would probably get your wife to exercise while you sit back and listen. :eek:

Last edited:
Tim, how about connecting the exercise equipment to a generator to power your system, so that you do not become a couch potato listening to music? :D

On second thoughts, maybe not - you would porbably get your wife to exercise while you sit back and listen. :eek:

i saw a cartoon in Punch or the NewYorker a few years back on that. it was two guys sitting in the living room with the wife of one pedalling away, powering the floor lamp.

"of course she gets mad about it, but it just makes her pedal harder"

New Cables!

So after I got the CLS's I no longer needed my old bi-wire set of cables, so I started looking into options on upgrading. I knew I was going to stay with Synergistic Research as my entire system is lashed with it and frankly I believe it's the best cabling I've heard at every price point. I ended up finding a deal on a set of Designer Reference X2's with Active Shielding that I just couldn't pass up.

All of the typical audiophile adjectives apply - more detail, more soundstage, more frequency extension, yada, yada, yada. I don't know - I certainly don't want to start any cable debates, but in my system at least these cables are nothing short of revelatory. Music simply flows effortlessly and I'm a VERY happy camper.

Attachments

• SynDesRef1.jpg
    SynDesRef1.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 384
  • SynDesRef2.jpg
    SynDesRef2.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 387
Tim,

After hearing what a full range stat can do..... ABSOLUTELY jealous of your system. Love it. :bowdown:

Thanks Joey! I wish you lived closer so that I could have you over for a listen. I know you like the new Quads, I encourage you to listen to a set of CLS's as well - that would be an apples to apples comparison.

If you come out for the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest this year you'll have an opportunity to hear my system. That applies to anyone here. Beverages and tunes at Tims house in October everyone!

:eek:

Tim, let us know how the sound progresses as you break-in the cables, hopefully in less than 400-500 hours !

Tim, let us know how the sound progresses as you break-in the cables, hopefully in less than 400-500 hours !

These are used so they're very well broken in. I've pretty much bought all of my cables used on AudioGon - not much can really go wrong with a used cable, and in the case of these particular cables I'd be talking about $3400+ for new. I paid less than a third of that price for these.

Bernard, I know you're waiting for me to "Bite" on this aren't you ?? !!

Lookin' good my Rocky Mtn friend !!

Centered

I finally got around to getting some longer interconnects that have allowed me to more or less center the amp between the speakers and make the room a little more symetrical. I got them long enough (26 feet) that I'll be able to keep the equipment way off to the side when I move into the dedicated room. Just a couple of shots to show the new setup and the view from the sweet spot.

Attachments

• Centered1.jpg
    Centered1.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 327
  • Centered2.jpg
    Centered2.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 330
I posted this over in the Tweaks section also, but here is a very simple little turntable trick that I added to the system this morning.

If you have a VPI or similar turntable with a stand alone motor, lift and isolate that baby. I had 3 small ceramic cones sitting around, so I put them under the motor assembly. I had noticed that every time I turned my motor on or off I could feel the vibrations in the motor housing. If I can feel them then there has to be some sonic degredation. The cones under the motor have completely removed these vibrations - I mean they are GONE.

Sonic benefit is a deeper, blacker background - the proverbial layer of "grunge" has been removed. This further leads to more detail across the board.

Hey, this is one of those really simple, cheap tweaks that is even supported by the laws of physics. Give it a try and see what you think!

I wish I could take credit for this one, but I actually read it in the latest Mapleshade catalog and figured I'd give it a shot. Why are you still reading this - go do it!

Attachments

• TTTweak.jpg
    TTTweak.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:
Beautiful system Tim! Love those lights too. They produce a nice ambiance:music:

New LP Rack

I just recieved an end of the year upgrade for my system - a brand new Billy Bags LP rack. This thing was a snap to assemble, the hardest part was lugging it all down stairs because it is HEAVY.

I can finally get the bulk of my LP's out of box's and into some sort of logical order. Everything in the wood bookcase is my rock, alternative, reggae etc. The Billy Bags unit has all of my box sets on top, classical and blues on the next 2 shelves, jazz just below that, open space and all the lp's I haven't cleaned or cataloged below that, and 12" singles and soundtracks on the bottom. Like I said, it's very sturdy and easy to access LP's now, although I think I'll add some dividers to make things even easier to find.

Not really an upgrade to my system per se, but essential none the less.

Attachments

• BBags.jpg
    BBags.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 333
Nice Tim. I like the Billy Bags stuff. I went the el cheapo route with bookcases from IKEA. Since my system is upstairs, I didn't want too much weight on a small footprint.

lookin good...you do realize Tim that that area is crying out......build my room...build my room !!

As in the movie, Field of Dreams.....build it, and they will come ! hell, at least I'll be out, I owe you dinner !

Back