System #95 (ReQuest originally, then CLS IIz , now YG Acoustic Carmel's)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tim, Congrats on the SDS purchase ! I know you will appreciate it as much as I do mine. FWIW, once a month I check mine, with a flourescent trouble light, I've had to 'tweak' my setting but once in the eight months I've owned mine.

Thanks Dave, I'll be sure to monitor it. I've been hit with the flu for the past week, so I've been "holed up" in the music room for the past 2 days trying to get the full measure of the system right now. I can honestly say that it has never sounded better. Trite as it may sound, I'm hearing deeper into the music than ever before - and loving every minute of it!
:D

Just this week I was able to add an additional upgrade to the Analog front end via the introduction of the VPI SDS (Syncronous Drive System)
How does it compare with the VPI PLC ? I have the PLC.

How does it compare with the VPI PLC ? I have the PLC.

Hard for me to say. I've seen the PLC's, but never used one, specifically not in my own system. Just looking at them though I know that the SDS is micro-processor controlled, and that I can adjust Frequency in .01V increment steps, so resolution can be spot on in that regard. The SDS is larger, and heavier - not that that is in and of itself an indication of quality. I know that VPI discontinued the PLC when they started offering the SDS, and that with that change came an incremental increase in price.

I know that for me, in my system, it was very easy to discern a positive effect by adding the SDS. That being said, in your system, if the PLC is offering you a noticible improvement, I do not know that I would rush to replace it. I should think that both would offer improvements in motor stability that make them indispensible once you have heard their effect.

A significant Change!

So, in April of 2008 my system underwent a significant new change. The Requests I'd lived with and loved for so many years were replaced with a very mint set of CLS IIz's. A major change to say the least. Amazing what an absence of a crossover can do for the sound of a speaker! I may have sacrificed a VERY slight amount of dynamics and very top end extension, but overall, these are a more musical experience in every sense. Imaging and localization in spades. Soundstage of very realistic proportions. Dynamics in keeping with real world experiences, and a coherence unlike I'd been used to.

It's always hard to part with a dear old friend, but I'm looking forward to the musical journies I'm embarking on with these wonderful companions!

Attachments

• CLSSystem2.jpg
    CLSSystem2.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 453
  • CLSSystem3.jpg
    CLSSystem3.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 461
  • CLSSystem4.jpg
    CLSSystem4.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 467
Last edited:
Tim,

You guys with these classic CLS's are driving me nutz!!! (not a far drive) They are so cool looking and I can only imagine how good they sound. Like classic cars, I bet they'll hold their value and give you many years of musical satisfaction.

Ahhhh, one of these days...

Satch

congrats on the CLS! looking forward to hearing more of your impressions about the CLS-ReQuest comparison.

does that mean that you have two extra channels of amplification with the BAT?

First the TT and now this?!?!?!

Congrats!!

My experience with these is an ever growing and expanding love affair.
After 5 years, they still make me smile ear to ear and even bring me to tears their sound is so engaging...

Love the new speakers Tim.... man.. you CLS people are replicating like bunnies! Now I'm getting the hankering....

congrats on the CLS! looking forward to hearing more of your impressions about the CLS-ReQuest comparison.

does that mean that you have two extra channels of amplification with the BAT?

It does indeed, and a spare set of speaker cables as well. Not sure what I'm going to do there actually. I may just leave everything as is and use them for a multichannel set up one day, or I may consider something else, as in with a bunch of glass in it.

Time will tell...

You read my mind exactly. A pair of VK-150SE's would be ideal, but I'm also shopping a pair of older VK-120's.

I spent some time this weekend playing with mounting heights, materials, positioning etc. as research for some custom stands I'm developing for the CLS's. It turned out that the best sound I was able to achieve came from mounting the beasts on top of these glass blocks. Not only did it improve the sound, but I also really rather liked the look as it kind of made the speakers appear to hover off the floor...

Attachments

• SysGB1.jpg
    SysGB1.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 506
  • GB1.jpg
    GB1.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 512
Tim, With the addition of your CLSs I was rereading your system information.
I was amazed at your 6000 albums and 3500 CD's and 400 SACD's. Could you post pics of your storage system. I am curious how you shelve them and how much room they occupy. Do you have them catalogued or is it just a finely tuned memory the keeps track of them. Very impressive collection.

How are the new stands progressing?

Tim, With the addition of your CLSs I was rereading your system information.
I was amazed at your 6000 albums and 3500 CD's and 400 SACD's. Could you post pics of your storage system. I am curious how you shelve them and how much room they occupy. Do you have them catalogued or is it just a finely tuned memory the keeps track of them. Very impressive collection.

How are the new stands progressing?

I have most of the Rock/Pop CD's in a large sideboard that is currently in our dining room, but that will eventually get moved into the basement when the dedicated room is built. Each of the bigger drawers holds about 280 CD's

The classical and Jazz CD's are already in the basement in a couple of racks next to the LP storage. The SACD's are on the opposite side of the long LP rack.

The LP's are mostly in the tall LP rack and the more horizontal one that you can see here, with a few more box's full around the backside on the white shelving units. I also have 10-12 boxs over at my sisters house that I just didn't want to bother moving until after the room is done. No sense unpacking all the stuff I don't listen too as much since we'll be doing some construction soon.

The plan is for the dedicated room to have an entire sidewall and back wall with built in storage for all of it (someday).

I have an Access database that is about 65% up to date on everything - I work on it when there's nothing else to do, so it hasn't been touched in almost 2 years. I do file everything alpebetically by Artist or Composer (classical) by Genre, so it's actually pretty easy to lay my hands on pretty much anything, except for those LP's laying down in the LP storage. Those are used aquisitions that need to be cleaned and filed yet (lot's of work to do). The sheets on the racks in the basement are an attempt to keep dust off of things. Everything will be wrapped in plastic before we start construction.

Attachments

• CD1.jpg
    CD1.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 470
  • CD2.jpg
    CD2.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 479
  • LP2.jpg
    LP2.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 466
  • LP1.jpg
    LP1.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 466
Last edited:
The Plan

So, any week now I'll be starting on the dedicated room in the basement. It's going to occupy the entire area where you can see the exercise equipment in the first shot here. There will be a storage area off to the right side with a door for cable access at the back of the audio racks for easy system maintenance and swap out. There will be a partial wall where the post on the right side is to mostly hide the post, but also to define the equipment rack area. The entire left side wall will be shelving for media with a countertop the full length just under the window.

Looking back towards the area where the CD's and LP's are now We'll change that area into a wine cellar and wet bar and where the other post is I'll build in an entire wall for LP storage and behind that wall we'll have the exercise room. Where the white shelving is now there will be a bathroom as well.

It doesn't look like much now, but that's all going to change soon!

Attachments

• Plan1.jpg
    Plan1.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 502
  • Plan2.jpg
    Plan2.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 508
  • Plan3.jpg
    Plan3.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 469
Last edited:
Night Music

A couple of shots of the system at night with the room illuminated by the new Philips LivingColors fixture.

Very nice for the night listening mood!

Attachments

• GreenNight.jpg
    GreenNight.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 462
  • OrangeNight2.jpg
    OrangeNight2.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 468
  • VioletNight.jpg
    VioletNight.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 468
  • BlueNight.jpg
    BlueNight.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 474
Last edited:
. . . . . .and why bother with all that iron pumping anyway? As Phyllis Diller said, "my favorite exercise is a nice brisk sit !" (I assume she meant in her listening chair :D )

Well having had a few basement systems be adamant on construction with staggered studs, maybe 2x6 and double insulation. It will help to tame the echo effect of the cement walls and floor. Basements can make good listening rooms , but they do need to be addressed before hand or you will spend double trying to tame them after. Bring your sub down there and place it in a corner so it loads the best and play anything with 20 hz or lower LOUD to find rattles and vibrations. You will need to address them and future rattles as you build. I would test it at each stage of the build to address rattles then. Its easier to fix a joist when its exposed then to tear drywall down ! Good luck with the build. ;)

Back