Sunday Morning Music

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Resurrecting this thread after a long time away from the forum. After a long bout with cancer and a grueling time in Hospice my father passed away on March 18th. Dealing with the events, the estate and my own grieving didn't really allow me time for anything remotely fun, like participating here. The music's always been there though, helping me through this process. Sorry for the time away. Hopefully things are calmed down enough now that I can rejoin the community in a more active form.

Not really listening to anything specific this morning. Got the classical tracks shuffling through the Sonos as I do a bit of browsing interspersed with some work from the office.

How about all of you? What's spinning this morning?

Hey Tim,

Good to have you back. Sorry for your loss...

My Sunday Morning Music started at midnight and went on past 3:00 am.

I just added a Manley Steelhead phono preamp to run the SME 10 turntable. A new Flux Capacitor for the Delorian. :)

*Kenny Burrell "Freedom" Blue Note 45 rpm reissue. You are there, scary good.
*(Rahsaan) Roland Kirk "Early Roots, The Bethlehem Years" A musician friend picked up this hard to find album when he was in New Orleans recently. Recorded in 1956 Kirk was 20 years old. very bluesy.
*Hank Williams with His Drifting Cowboys "I'm Blue Inside" Very Cool Country Blues :D
*Kenny Burrell with Art Blakey "On View At The Five Spot Cafe" another 45 rpm Blue Note reissue. I could smell the bourbon and cigars in that club.
*Grant Green "Green Street" Awesome three piece with Ben Tucker on Bass and Dave Bailey on Drums. 1961.
*And of course, various Jimi Hendrix tunes...

Satch

Hey Tim,

My most sincere condolences on the loss of your Dad. Lost my Dad in a similar fashion.

HDD platter spinning here, outputting a vast assemblage of ones and zeros that ultimately transform into a series of atmospheric distrubances that my ear/brain recognize as Adam's Giselle (Decca452 185-2)

Hey Tim - sad to hear it. My father died many years ago now.

What surprised me was the battle I had with logic versus emotion after he left. Logic told me to pull myself together, emotion defied that logic. It took a while but eventually you just remember the good times.

He is in you and a part of you. whether here or not. He always will be.

Music? Loads of audiophile BS to be honest. Be glad to get back to some good stuff!!!:):):)

Yes - Fly From Here

Fly_from_Here.jpg

sitting in front of my system today and this is my first listen to this CD, which came in the mail yesterday. It's Yes minus Jon Anderson, but Benoit David sounds very similar... he was in a Canadian Yes tribute band.. shades of the whole Steve Perry/Journey thing.. Produced by Trevor Horn - same guy who produced and sang in Yes in the early 80s for the "Drama" CD and while I can hear similarities to Drama, I am also reminded of the 70's Yes sound, which of course I love. Very ethereal and trippy. Very polished. nice.

Last edited:
Puddle of Mudd

Puddle of Mudd: Come Clean

My 15 yr old son turned me on to these guys. I wouldn't necessarily call this "CLX music" (being a nose-high audio-elitist and all)... but it rocks heavy out by the pool without a doubt! I'm sure the neighbors are head-bangin' right along with me - or notifying the authorities... they're a fickle bunch, those neighbors. :p

Cheers all

p.s. trouble uploading the album cover - first time I've tried since the forum site update, seems "stuck"... sorry - here's the Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W03WP8/ref=dm_sp_alb

2Cellos.

61UWctRZVSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Incredible pop/rock covers by two classically trained cellists from Croatia, who (like Jake Shimabukuru) blasted onto the worldwide music scene with creative Youtube videos. Amazing how these two can make their (carbon fiber!) Cellos sound like electric guitars, complete with overdrive/distortion effects. Check out their video of Guns N' Roses Welcome to the Jungle

<iframe height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_AYEgwwCYWw" frameBorder="0" width="560" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Last edited:
For those who like Big Band music, "Salutes Duke Ellington" from label Digital Music Products (DMP) is an OUTSTANDING recording! The dynamic range and soothing brass is just incredible.

Listen to samples

516EemdjD-L._SS500_.jpg

This one of my latest mixes, its a live performance from 7/1/11. The show was recorded in stereo with all Neumann mics I borrowed from my friend and esteemed sound engineer Jon O'Leary. I have had a lot of good feedback on this, but I am curious what this community thinks. One major flaw, The lead vocal track had a very small trace of distortion in it at 2 points, most notably during the first verse of Pure Life. I tried all the magic I could muster but nothing can completely get rid of it. We believe it was a ground lift issue, Jerry complained of it shocking him twice. Such is the way of live recording...

http://www.archive.org/details/jjj2011-07-01.fmrecording.flac24

Jerry Joseph & the Jackmormons

Friday, July 1, 2011
Bluebird Theatre
Denver, CO

** 24 Bit **

Set I: (1:06:05)
1. K-Line
2. Radio Cab
3. Beautiful Dirt
4. Altar in Your Box >
5. Spin Cycle
6. Amazing Grace
7. Back in a Hole

Set II: (1:41:31)
1. Pure Life
2. Road to Damascus
3. Whatever's in the Basket
4. Helena Bucket
5. Kicking Hong Kong
6. Revelator
7. World Will Turn *
8. Way Too Loud > Rocks Off > Way Too Loud *
Encore
9. Yellow Ribbons > Powder Finger > Yellow Ribbons *

* with Sam Holt on guitar

20 Channel Multi-track Recording
Source 1-18: 18 Channels from the stage > XLR recording split > Focusrite Pre's(24/48) > ADAT lightpipe > Alesis HD-24
Source 19-20: MBHO 603>KA200N(FOH/DFC) > Art Tube Opto8(24/48) > ADAT lightpipe > Alesis HD-24XR
Transfer: HD-24 Tools > USB > Cubase5 > Wavelab6 > CDWave > FLAC24 > Foobar
Taped & Transferred by: F.M. Recording - Eric Foelske & Jim Mimna ([email protected])

5519482590_f0f1c818b6_z.jpg

This one of my latest mixes, its a live performance from 7/1/11.

Jimna... I liked it! Nice clear recording. Definitely great music IMO. The one thing that gets me though, and it has nothing to do with your recording... it's when the snare (or other drums) vibrate sympathetically to the guitar strains... makes everything sound distorted. Not much can be done about this in a live recording obviously, and once the drummer kicks in the effect goes away. Just a pet peeve of mine... and when there's a quality recording, the effect is even more pronounced. Damned if you do, damned if you don't :)

Thanks for posting and making the files accessable.

Cheers

Thanks for the feedback!

Its funny you say that, Todd. The kit noise drove me crazy as well but nothing I could do to hide it sounded natural. Its a shame, I actually had a set of drum isolators(plexiglass walls to surround the drums), but the drummer said he felt like he was in prison behind them, and he finally won the fight and we took them down.

In the past Ive always had to mix to the customers preference, this time I mixed to what I like and I am happy with the results. :rocker:

Thanks for listening and then the feedback. I really wanted to hear what folks with quality playback would say. Funny to realize, but its easier to make a mix that sounds good on a high quality playback than crappy car speakers or the equivalent. The resolving system can reproduce all the underlying nuances and dynamic swings I create, but a late model Honda w/ stock stereo does not and often times sounds dull and boring. The real challenge IME is to make the mix sound good when the playback cant produce much below 80hz and it smears your mid-range...when that playback sounds reasonable then the CLX will sing like a robin!

Just found out my day job is over on 8/15 (thanks corporate machine!), time for F.M.Recording and J.Mimna Photography to take off!

Taking my 15 yr old son and his friend up to the Bangor Waterfront to witness the spectacle that is "Carnival of Madness". A day (and night) long rock music marathon with acts like Alterbridge and Theory of a Dead Man. I like some of this stuff, but there's a limit. Bernard, you would be biting down hard on your emergency cyanide pill.

Please pray for my soul ;) - and you aetheists, wipe those smirks off your faces. A Dad's gotta do what a Dad's gotta do :)

Taking my 15 yr old son and his friend up to the Bangor Waterfront to witness the spectacle that is "Carnival of Madness". A day (and night) long rock music marathon with acts like Alterbridge and Theory of a Dead Man. I like some of this stuff, but there's a limit. Bernard, you would be biting down hard on your emergency cyanide pill.
Indeed ! Never heard of either of those groups, but then I've never heard of any recent rock groups. Don't forget to take ear plugs; you want to protect your hearing for that Baroque music on your CLX's.

Ha, ha... yeah Todd, blame it on the kids. You know you want to go. :)

I'm rockin' vinyl today. So far;

Nils Lofgrin "Cry Tough"
Jeff Beck "Blow By Blow"
Rolling Stones "Let It Bleed"

Going over some of my usual suspects with the SME 10/Manley Steelhead combo.

We saw Theory of a Dead man when they played in Atlanta as part of the Avalanche festival this spring. I immediately went out and bought their CD which is still in constant rotation in my car. Other groups that were part of that show that I really liked were Skillet, Halestorm and Stone sour.

Ha, ha... yeah Todd, blame it on the kids. You know you want to go. :)

I'm rockin' vinyl today. So far;

Nils Lofgrin "Cry Tough"
Jeff Beck "Blow By Blow"
Rolling Stones "Let It Bleed"

Going over some of my usual suspects with the SME 10/Manley Steelhead combo.

Am I that transparent? (just like my speakers I guess ;) )

Sounds like some very nice (and classic!) vinyl spinning at your place. Enjoy!

Back