Sunday Morning Music

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Indeed ! Never heard of either of those groups, but then I've never heard of any recent rock groups. Don't forget to take ear plugs; you want to protect your hearing for that Baroque music on your CLX's.

It was deafinitely loud Bernard... ain't no two ways about it. But in order to help belance things out, I did force the boys to listen to some cello concertos on the trip back home. Not sure they'll ever forgive me for that.

We saw Theory of a Dead man when they played in Atlanta as part of the Avalanche festival this spring. I immediately went out and bought their CD which is still in constant rotation in my car. Other groups that were part of that show that I really liked were Skillet, Halestorm and Stone sour.

That Jen Ledger from Skillet - I LOVE her! Amazingly talented girl.

So my impressions from this show:

The dozen or so lead-in bands all helped to redefine the term "hellatiously unlistenable" - though one band "Leachfield", had us laughing our asses off with their combo worst-sound and worst-band-name.

Once these guys all finished assaulting us (from a smaller stage adjacent to the main venue), the main gates opened up and we meandered into the stockyard with all the other cattle. The big stage was actually nicely set up (and it looked solid too... God knows you don't stand too close to an outdoor temporary performance stage these days). The main acts were "Chaos Machine", "Emphatic", "Black Stone Cherry", "Adelitas Way", "Alterbridge", and of course the main event "Theory of a Dead Man".

Now, Bernard, I know this is going to be unbearably excrutiating, but in order for you to understand what's being discussed here... you need to at least click on this link and check out "Bad Girlfriend" from Theory. Listen to all of it, regardless of how far back your eyes roll. Once finished - now imagine a 100KW 80 speaker wall of sound vibrating your vital organs like a paint shaker... OK, once recovered, please report your findings back to the forum. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le98NIrVL7U

OK, where was I, Yes... so the quality of music absolutely increased with each and every band that took the stage. Also, couldn't help but enjoy certain comments by the various lead singers as they semi-coherently scream in between songs e.g. "This song's about f*ckin'" and "How you mothuhf*ckahs doin' t'night?!?". The last two acts (Alterbridge and Theory) were easily the most polished and best sounding... they also both held the stage for about 90 minutes each... so can't complian in terms of spectacle-per-dollar value.

HOWEVER... and here's the rub (as well as the big clue that my son is a bit of a budding audiophile)... when you have three electric guitars, a bass guitar, drums, synth, and multiple vocals all wailing at the same time... the power grid has some real work to do to keep up with demand. It was clear that during certain dynamic "challenges" the system just couldn't keep up... so layer some overload/clipping distortion on top of these unheavenly peaks and imagine the grimaces as my son and I looked at each other telepathically thinking "too much - doesn't sound good - they need to back it down from 12 to 11". That was really my only complaint... and it wasn't a constant overload situation - just during certain full-on insane phrases - well, unpleasant.

Beyond the audio critque though, we had almost as much fun people-watching (I guess you could catagorize most of them as "people") as we did band-watching. And the best part, most of the way home, the boys would sporadically mock the head-banging mosh-pitters randomly chanting "Leachfield!! Wooohooo!!"

Cheers all :)

Last edited:
Exemplary Polyphony --> "Jacob Obrecht: Missa de Sancto Donatiano"

Most tracks are standard all-vocal, but a few include elegantly performed organ accompaniment. Oustandingly pristine recording. Highly meditative - a genuine destresser :)

Attachments

• 51PyDxdGaYL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    51PyDxdGaYL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 95
It was deafinitely loud Bernard... ain't no two ways about it. But in order to help belance things out, I did force the boys to listen to some cello concertos on the trip back home. Not sure they'll ever forgive me for that.
Glad I missed me there.

Speaking of cello concertos, you have the beautiful Dvorak I hope. The Rostropovich/Karajan is great.

Todd, I'll pass on listening to the headbanger link and take your word for it; after all, you have never lied to me before. :)

Theory of a Dead Man is hardly "headbanger" music, that particular song strongly reminds me of Nickleback. I got a bunch of stuff that makes Metallica and Slayer sound like lullabies. ;) But from what I gather that kind of stuff would be anathematic to most users of this site. ;) But since I got my ML's it's not uncommon for some Brahms, Chopin, Camille Saint-Saëns (especially "Danse Macabre"), or even Miles Davis to be heard around the house along with the ultra heavy stuff. XD

Exemplary Polyphony --> "Jacob Obrecht: Missa de Sancto Donatiano"

I LOVE dance and vocal music from the pre Baroque era....gotta get this this one.
p/s I used to be a minstral in that era danced and played percussion for food and wine............:guiness:

Theory of a Dead Man is hardly "headbanger" music, that particular song strongly reminds me of Nickleback. I got a bunch of stuff that makes Metallica and Slayer sound like lullabies. ;) But from what I gather that kind of stuff would be anathematic to most users of this site. ;) But since I got my ML's it's not uncommon for some Brahms, Chopin, Camille Saint-Saëns (especially "Danse Macabre"), or even Miles Davis to be heard around the house along with the ultra heavy stuff. XD

True... Perhaps a sampling of Chaos Machine would have been more genre-representative... I was trying to go easy on Bernard :)

... I was trying to go easy on Bernard :)
Much appreciated. I concluded that your recommendations were headbanger just from your description. My mistake, so it seems, based upon what our Vulcan friend has stated.

BTW the unmoderated classical recommendations thread has been dead for a while. We should go back and revive it with some recommendations. It may be worthwhile copying (or summarizing)some of the recommendations from the moderated section, which seems truly dead (too bad about that).

If you want to step out of your comfort zone for about 4 min and 14 sec I present:

The last 30 sec or so is beginning of Sergei Prokofiev's "Dance of the knights".

Yeah that'll probably curl your toes and make your nose get scrunched up. :devil:

But hey, different strokes for different folks right? :D

Oh and Vulcan? :confused:

If you want to step out of your comfort zone for about 4 min and 14 sec I present:

The last 30 sec or so is beginning of Sergei Prokofiev's "Dance of the knights".

Yeah that'll probably curl your toes and make your nose get scrunched up. :devil:
Made my knees bend and my hair curl.

|Tch0rT| said:
But hey, different strokes for different folks right? :D
Mercifully, yes ! :devil:

|Tch0rT| said:
Oh and Vulcan? :confused:
When I see your handle I see it as "T'ch.." (typically Vulcan female name). Hey, don't blame me - you chose it :p

Last edited:
Hah I see you edited your reply regarding the Dance of the Knights. I was about to say even Spotify is telling me that it was right. Even so Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition" has some pretty metal parts. I like dark music. :music:

Your Vulcan reference reminds me I need to go through Star Trek from the beginning. I have all the TV Shows and Movies on my media server. Anyway Tchort is Russian for Devil, more or less. :devil:

Hah I see you edited your reply regarding the Dance of the Knights. I was about to say even Spotify is telling me that it was right. Even so Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition" has some pretty metal parts. I like dark music. :music:

Your Vulcan reference reminds me I need to go through Star Trek from the beginning. I have all the TV Shows and Movies on my media server. Anyway Tchort is Russian for Devil, more or less. :devil:

"Pictures" Now that is some emotional music. Listen to CSO doing that with Solti. Killer!!!

"Pictures" Now that is some emotional music. Listen to CSO doing that with Solti. Killer!!!
I heard Lazar Berman live, on the piano. It was incredible. He sat there impassively while going through all of the pyrotechnics.

Last edited:
Just finished ripping a bunch of DVD-Audio discs to multichannel FLAC for my media server.

Now enjoying this awesome latest release, The Incident, from Porcupine Tree in 5.1 on my system, ML's really reveal all the great subtle complexities in PT recordings. Steve Wilson is a master musician and mixer. This is a true 'demo' of what MLs can really do. No 'polite' undemanding Jazz or acoustic, stuff, this recording at an avg level of 92dB requires a great setup.

41bajMq03lL._SS500_.jpg

Some friends of mine climbing the adult contemporary charts. The singer is the owner of the studio that I've been working at a lot lately.
Great cd, if you like adult contemporary.

Doug - out

Last edited:
Rest assured JonFo that listening to and appreciating all the intricacies of "polite, undemanding jazz or acoustic stuff" (whatever the heck that is) is much easier and more fulfilling with a "great setup" (whatever the heck that is).

A systems ability to perform well is clearly evident when playing a well recorded solo acoustic piano piece. And it doesn't need to be played at average, excessive (+90 DB) levels to appreciate the reproductive qualities of the system.

PS: A "great setup" or system is a totally subjective term and will vary depending on the person. In my mind, a "great setup" or system is one that allows the individual to enjoy and connect with the music, regardless of price.

Last edited:
PS: A "great setup" or system is a totally subjective term and will vary depending on the person. In my mind, a "great setup" or system is one that allows the individual to enjoy and connect with the music, regardless of price.
So very true. If the only medium available to you for a particular piece of music is a cassette, as long as you enjoy the music that is all that matters.

BTW agree with you about the acoustic piano. I also suggest that you get Maurizio Pollini's recording of Beethoven's "Hammerklavier" Sonata. Incredible piano playing.

Back