Sunday Morning Music

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ACL Fest 2010

Hit the Austin City Limits Festival at about 11:30 Sunday morning. Lots of great acts:
Ruby Jane ,The Blind Pilots, The Constellations, Band of Horses, Martin Sexton, Norah Jones (pic), The Flaming Lips, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, The Eagles.
Lots more, and that was just Sunday (it went Fri - Sun).

Attachments

• NJ Small.jpg
    NJ Small.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 177
Hit the Austin City Limits Festival at about 11:30 Sunday morning. Lots of great acts:
Ruby Jane ,The Blind Pilots, The Constellations, Band of Horses, Martin Sexton, Norah Jones (pic), The Flaming Lips, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, The Eagles.
Lots more, and that was just Sunday (it went Fri - Sun).

Funny, I didn't see you among my other 75,000 listening partners!:D I was there all three days. I was about 20 feet from Martin Sexton's stage, almost dead center. Sure was hot! With 130 bands on 8 stages to choose from, over 3 days, there sure was a lot of walking! Some of the bands I got to see: Carolyn Wonderland, The Black Keys, Charlie Mars, Spoon, Sonic Youth (Oh yeah!), Monsters of Folk, Blind Pilot and so many others. There was one performer though, that I thought gave the other guitarists a lesson - Richard Thompson.

Last edited:
Nice shot of Nora!

I saw her in April in Phoenix for "The Fall" tour and was blown away. She played guitar more then I thought she would. One of the better live shows I've seen, what a talent!

Funny, I didn't see you among my other 75,000 listening partners!:D I was there all three days. I was about 20 feet from Martin Sexton's stage, almost dead center. Sure was hot! With 130 bands on 8 stages to chose from, over 3 days, there sure was a lot of walking! Some of the bands I got to see: Carolyn Wonderland, The Black Keys, Charlie Mars, Spoon, Sonic Youth (Oh yeah!), Monsters of Folk, Blind Pilot and so many others. There was one performer though, that I thought gave the other guitarists a lesson - Richard Thompson.

I was there only Sunday. Blind Pilot was very good and The Constellations blew my socks off. NJ put on a good show too. Heck, I didn't see a bad act all day.

Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra performing Dvorak Symphony No. 9 and Martinu Symphony No.2. Conducted by Paavo Jarvi.

This is a TELARC DSD recording. Great dynamics and spacial detail. I am on my third listen of this disc this morning.

Attachments

• 51WljSwfq3L._SS500_.jpg
    51WljSwfq3L._SS500_.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 934
This Sunday morning I've been entranced by the emotional and very fresh interpretations of Rene Marie's "Vertigo" and think she is one of the most talented contemporary Jazz vocalists. This is an outstanding CD.

Attachments

• 41n6YOpec7L._SS400_.jpg
    41n6YOpec7L._SS400_.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 915
I am listening to my recording from last week. I love a truely ambient sounding recording that really captures the feeling in the room, and this one does. Its a free download at cotapers.org , a share site for Colorado tapers that only shares music allowed by the artists(read more on this at the site). You have to create an account, but it's free and there is a treasure chest of music there once you do.

http://bt.cotapers.org/torrents.php

Show listing:
http://bt.cotapers.org/torrents.php?id=561

A slide show of my photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimna/sets/72157625244248716/show/

The Wood Brothers
2010-10-23
The Aggie Theatre
Fort Collins, CO

~Matrix~
Source 1: ADK A-51TL's> Busman Hybrid R4 (W-Mod) @24/48
Mics: Cards, DIN, DFC, @ first drinkrail about 25' from the stage, head high
Source 2: Busman Audio BSC1-K41's> Grace Lunatec V3> Busman Hybrid R4 (T-Mod) @24/48
Mics: Sub-Cards, NOS, DFC, @ first drinkrail about 25' from the stage, head high
Lineage: Busman Hybrid R4 (USB)> WaveLab 6 (Edits, Resample, & Dither)> CD Wave Editor> TLH (Verify/Align on Sector Boundaries/Level 8)
Taped & Transferred by Jim Mimna

1. Buckets of Rain
2. Lovin' Arms
3. When I was Young
4. One More Day
5. Train A Comin’
6. Postcards from Hell
7. Atlas
8. Spirit
9. Sing it Again
10. Liza Jane
11. Chocolate on My Tongue
12. Mary Anna
13. Pay Attention
14. Where My Baby Might Be
15. Shoofly Pie
16. Loaded
17. Down
18. Is What It Is
(Encore)
19. Pay Day
20. Luckiest Man

Notes: Scrapomatic opened

I absolutely love these guys, this recording playing and me chilling in the listening chair is my idea of living. BTW, my wife's recording from Denver the night before is there also for free download.

Also check out an article my wife and I did on their CO run of shows.
http://mtnweekly.com/four-nights-with-the-wood-brothers-6859

Ahh, yesterday, it was watching my four year old performing at a cheerleading competition at the Dallas Cowboys center in Arlington, TX, listening to "Get Jiggy With It" or some similar nonsense over the center's sound system. Of course, the music didn't matter. Seeing the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders up close and performing wasn't too shabby, either. :D

John Garth (1721-1810): Six Concertos for the Violoncello
The Avison Ensemble - Richard Tunnicliffe: Solo Cello

This is an outstanding set of cello concertos with nearly pristine presence and realism. Top notch engineering/equipment went into this work... not to mention a spectacular performance by both the ensemble and the soloist. This set of discs has had more rotation through my system than any other over last month or so. Absolutely wonderful in all aspects (IMO). If you're looking for mindless background music for a sleepy, lazy Sunday morning, this isn't it. If you want to listen to a work of pure beauty and get swept away by one of this composer's best efforts, then this is THE one.

http://www.amazon.com/John-Garth-Si...43M2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1289759809&sr=8-2

If you prefer other genres, I STILL recommend you at least check out the amazon link and sample some of the tracks. You may be surprised.

Cheers,

-Todd

Attachments

• 618Ydz56gLL._SS400_.jpg.jpg
    618Ydz56gLL._SS400_.jpg.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 531
Oliver Nelson plays Michelle, 7 1/2 IPS Impulse (ABC Records) recording from 1966. Found this little gem at a yard sale.....two houses away (!)

Attachments

• s_tape.jpg.JPG
    s_tape.jpg.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 567
Tj,

I was spinning Oliver Nelson's "The Blues And The Abstract Truth". Impulse reissues. 45 rpm with Bill Evans, Roy Haynes, Eric Dolphy, Paul Chambers and Freddie Hubbard. :D

Nice reel to reel! What is it?

Ray

Tj,

I was spinning Oliver Nelson's "The Blues And The Abstract Truth". Impulse reissues. 45 rpm with Bill Evans, Roy Haynes, Eric Dolphy, Paul Chambers and Freddie Hubbard. :D

Nice reel to reel! What is it?

Ray

Studer A80 VU MKII with added FM quarter-track (repro only) optional head, one of three studio decks in my upstairs audio room. While being a fairly large and industrial-looking machine, its ultra-smooth mechanics and gentle tape handling makes it a pleasure to use.

Tj

Attachments

• studer.jpg.JPG
    studer.jpg.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 1,094
At 62, Robert Plant is still going strong in my book and luckily for us he isn't trying to be 22! He most recent effort "Band of Joy" follows along the same path as "Raising Sand". Plant fans will not be disappointed; however, if you are hoping for Led Zeppelin, this isn't it. I would say most songs are mid tempo country and R&B. I like this CD; the band is great and includes Patty Griffin, Buddy Miller and Darrell Scott all music veterans!

Attachments

• P1000043.jpg
    P1000043.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 554
J.J. Cale ~ Troubadour

Good album. I picked up some pristine vinyl of that album and "Okie" for just a few bucks each last year. I think I have about a dozen J.J. Cale albums/CDs. His very latest, "Roll On", is good, too.

I've been listening to so much new music lately, it's unreal. I've now got about 1&1/2 terabytes digitized. Some recent albums/CDs I've been listening to and recommend:
Guy Clark, "Somedays The Song Writes You"
Bill Frisell, "Good Dog Happy Man"
Bob Schneider, "Lonelyland"
Ray LaMontagne and the Pariah Dogs, "God Willin' & The Creek Don't Rise"
Jimmy Lafave, "Favorites 1992 - 2001"

Got in a couple of good ones this AM!

First off was multi-talented Norah Jones latest "Featuring Norah Jones" her musical collaborations from the last few years. This disc has 18 songs that cover everything from rap, country and blues. A great mix of different genres here!

Next up was Buddy Guy's latest "Living Proof". I really like his energy here and he has a great duet with BB King as well. An excellent recording and great musicianship!

Attachments

• P1000052.jpg
    P1000052.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 460
Back