Sunday Morning Music

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Wayne, I thought I knew his stuff fairly well, but it appears I missed a crucial title. How did I do that?

It was the first proper classical album I ever bought for myself once I'd left home and started building my hi-fi. It was the first "digital" recording I ever bought (and the first commercially available if memory serves).

I seem to remember on of Ry Cooder's albums (Texas, maybe) having that dubious distinction. But I could well be wrong!

Right now I'm spinning Echo and The Bunnymen - "Ocean Rain". I'd forgotten what a GREAT album this is. Justin (User211) had one of his famous lyric quotes a few weeks ago referencing Echo and The Bunnymen, so I owe this one to him. This album has some great songs including string arangements on it and was pretty much their last album before they started hitting it relatively big over here in the States. I got to see them at the Rainbow Theater in support of this album. Simply awesome show. Thanks for bringing back some great memories Justin. Ian McCullough does have a way with words...

The Rainbow in London?

I saw them at the Hammersmith Palais (if I remember correctly) when Heaven Up Here came out - an awesome show. Ian's hairstyle at the time was the coolest - and he just had great stage presence and a real "coolness" about him at the time that he later lost. Shame.

Make sure you have Flowers - it's a great later album and the sound quality is excellent. Really good summer music with the car roof down, blazing around, very loud, posing...:)

Getting ready for the Superbowl with some Black Sabbath box set 1970 t0 1978. Good Stuff.

Attachments

• DSC_0086.jpg
    DSC_0086.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 107
I seem to remember on of Ry Cooder's albums (Texas, maybe) having that dubious distinction. But I could well be wrong!

IIRC it was Ry's "Bop Till You Drop" that gets the distinction of the first digitally record LP. Sonically it is no match for the Telarcs IMO.

I have both so I just checked. Cooders "Bop Till You Drop" (a very good album by the way, I love "I Can't Win") was the first POP recording made via Digital (a 3M recorder was used) and was released in the fall of 1979. The first "commercially available" Digital recording is the Telarc disc recorded in spring 1978 and released that summer using the famous Soundstream digital recorder.

The Telarcs are stunning sounding for the most part. I'd also recommend their recording of Stravinsky's "Firebird" and the Saint Sains "Symphony No. 3 "Organ" with Ormandy conducting. The "1812" was spectacular sounding, though I think a fairly tired piece of music. It made just about every cartridge I had up until I had a Grace F9E on my old Rega P3 jump right ourt of the grooves. I don't know if anybody still does bass drums as well as Telarc.

Steve, when did you get the Blue Notes? I'm waiting for the next 4. Was expecting them this week, but they didn't show yet.:mad:

Tim, I got them last night. Besides the one I posted, I received Coleman Hawkins', "The Hawk Relaxes", Dexter Gordon's, "Go", and Hugh Masekela's, "hope". I haven't had the chance to listen to them yet, as I took the Cayman out on a few hundred mile Texas Hill Country ride today, but if they sound as good as the first one, I'll be in heaven (figuratively, of course, since I'm atheist).

I'll be in heaven (figuratively, of course, since I'm atheist).

To hell you say, Steve ! figurativey of course !!

Too busy working on the sleds and trailer getting ready for Maine later this week, it was CD spinning through the garage system....George Thorogood, Warren Zevon, Harry Chapin, Dire Straights....Rock on baby !!

To hell you say, Steve ! figurativey of course !!

Too busy working on the sleds and trailer getting ready for Maine later this week, it was CD spinning through the garage system....George Thorogood, Warren Zevon, Harry Chapin, Dire Straights....Rock on baby !!

What? Not cold enough up there in Pennsylvania? We got pretty close to 80 here, today. Here's a pic from a buddy up in Oswego, NY. Take your snowmobile hunting?
466055945_FXozr-M.jpg

The Rainbow in London?

I saw them at the Hammersmith Palais (if I remember correctly) when Heaven Up Here came out - an awesome show. Ian's hairstyle at the time was the coolest - and he just had great stage presence and a real "coolness" about him at the time that he later lost. Shame.

Make sure you have Flowers - it's a great later album and the sound quality is excellent. Really good summer music with the car roof down, blazing around, very loud, posing...:)

Thanks for the recommendation on "Flowers" Justin, I'll look for it.

The Rainbow I was referring to was here in Denver. AWESOME venue in it's day, no real seats that I can remember, just a stage and it only held about 1400 people. I saw some amazing shows there - Echo and the Bunnymen, The Cure, U2, Midnight Oil, Sinead O'Connor, Ministry. It's a G*# D^#n Walgreen's now :eek:

When I saw Echo and The Bunnymen they had taken a bunch of sheets and twisted them into shapes like the trunks and branches of trees and uplighted them with multiple colors. The band came out all in black (of course) and it was as if they were all wearing colored contacts or something because all you could really see was their eyes glowing in different colors. It was downright freaky. One of the best shows I can remember.

Ewwww....I pulled more vinyl off the shelves - what's wrong with me?

* AC/DC - Powerage
* Sydney Opera House 10th Anniversary - performances recorded by the ABC in the preceeding 10 years, one of which I attended with my parents as a 6 year old kid shortly before this release and actually still sort of remember.
* Midnight Oil - Diesel and Dust.

Attachments

• IMG_0203 (600 x 450).jpg
    IMG_0203 (600 x 450).jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
What's going on Adam? You're gonna have to upgrade that Dual at this rate:D

Tim - my favourite Bunnymen albums are Crocodiles, Heaven Up Here and Porcupine. Will Sergeant is a not much talked about but actually very good guitar player IMHO.

Forgive the ebay link, but this'll wake your vinyl rig up with stunning dynamics and superb sound quality: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ECHO-AND-THE-BUNNYMEN-SHINE-SO-HARD-1981-LIVE-EX_W0QQitemZ130185541163QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Records?hash=item130185541163&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318 It's very rare to get live recordings that are as excellent as that is. Top marks. As a point of note - there is something unusual about the vinyl Korova used in that pressing - it is very, very shinny and very smooth. Whatever it was, it was extremely good stuff. Whoever brewed it up - maximum respect!

Also, the Greatist Hits Cure double CD is a must have - they re-recorded all the singles using acoustic instruments. Excellently played, very well recorded and a real treat - better than the original singles by some margin in all cases, I think. Now that's some achievement. Make sure you haven't missed it!

Last edited:
I can feel a Clearaudio coming on.........or maybe not!

Clearaudio Champion 2. Are you sure?:D

Actually, Stereopile only class C'd it. Disappointing, but I wouldn't like to agree with them until I'd actually heard one. Love it to bits to look at, though. What a beaut!

Just checked the UK prices for these - they have gone up massively due to the drop in the £. Feel really sorry for the local business who sells them. They'll never shift at the current prices. What a shame.

Attachments

• clearchamp.jpg
    clearchamp.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Am I the only guy who gets annoyed at having to scroll from side to side while reading posts? One poster messes up the whole page here.

Ditto!!

Thank You!!! This is frustrating for me too!!!

DITTO THAT!!!

I'm off to the Sanders/ML shootout at Burkes.

Doug - out

BTW How does this side to side thing happen on some threads, or is it a individual post that messes things up?

Doug - out................again

Back