Sunday Morning Music

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not exactly Sunday morning (almost 10:00pm here in Denver), but I'm finally getting to some vinyl I'd picked up yesterday.

Pink Floyd's "Echoes" on a nice Dutch pressing, and Morrissey's "Greatest Hits" on some 180gm slabs from the UK. Wonderful "best of's" from both parties.

Attachments

• EchosMorrisey.jpg
    EchosMorrisey.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 993
Ron Carter - When Skies are Grey

Rondo Veneziano - Venice in Peril

Sarah Harmer - All of our names

Attachments

• rc.jpg
    rc.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 628
  • vp.jpg
    vp.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,115
  • sh.jpg
    sh.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 647
Led Zeppelin Definitive Collection Box Set. 4 down 8 more to go. This is a great box set and well worth the money.

Attachments

• LZ-2.JPG
    LZ-2.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 1,408
  • 41PLgiB0TTL__SS500_.jpg
    41PLgiB0TTL__SS500_.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 1,669
It is the mini LP set, and it has been remastered. The sound quality is very good and It can be had on Amazon for $143.00. I am enjoying these CDs very much.

Waking up with Kate....

Kate Bush

"Hounds of Love", Pink Marble pressing--surprisingly, unlike most other "vanity" pressings, this one sounds better than the British pressing on black vinyl...

"Lionheart", ATR Mastercut Recording, a German "audiophile" label, this one is ASTOUNDING--better than the Brit pressing, and in another GALAXY from the USA issue on vinyl.

Ah, it's nice to have my turntable up, tweeked, and running again. Nothing better for breakfast on Sunday morning than a few tasty "black pizzas"... :banana:

Attachments

• kb_sunday.jpg
    kb_sunday.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 116
Waking up with Kate....

Kate Bush

"Hounds of Love", Pink Marble pressing--surprisingly, unlike most other "vanity" pressings, this one sounds better than the British pressing on black vinyl...

"Lionheart", ATR Mastercut Recording, a German "audiophile" label, this one is ASTOUNDING--better than the Brit pressing, and in another GALAXY from the USA issue on vinyl.

Ah, it's nice to have my turntable up, tweeked, and running again. Nothing better for breakfast on Sunday morning than a few tasty "black pizzas"... :banana:

Dreamer, excellent choices, I also woke up with Kate on my mind. I agree with your observation on the Pink Marble pressing of "Hounds of Love", mine is also superior to the black vinyl version.

I got my blood flowing this morning with Piatigorsky and Munch leading the BSO in Dvoraks "Cello Concerto in B Minor, Op. 104". After that it was a MoFi pressing of the Alan Parsons Project, "Tales of Mystery and Imagination". For whatever reason this sounded EXCEPTIONAL this morning. Right now I'm spinning Kate Bush's most recent release "Aerial" on a UK pressing. Kate always sounds good - is there any female artist with more sensual delivery and phrasing?

Attachments

• DvorParsonBush.jpg
    DvorParsonBush.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 107
Has anybody bought the soundtrack for Slumdog Millionaire? Along with Best Movie, it also won the Golden Globe for Best Soundtrack. I just saw it last night, and both the movie and music are mesmerizing. Definitely a shoe-in for multiple Oscars. I just ordered the CD from Amazon.

It's so great that we live in a time that record stores are making a comeback; at least in my area. With more and more vinyl to search through, I've noticed that I've started doing what I used to do when I was much younger and that is to make a purchase soley based on the album cover photos and info, without any previous knowledge of the band. Case in point, this first album I listened to this morning,"Help Wanted Nights" by The Good Life. Cool album art showing the Sundowner Bar, with the album name on the bar name shingle, drawn as if it is an old film slide with comments on it, even though it is a drawing. Very cool. Another slide on the rear, with the songs listed as events occuring inside. ...and it's from Saddle Creek from Omaha. The heartland, where I've found some real gems in the past. ...and it comes with a free MP3 download. Ok, sold. Open it up and wtf?, white heavyweight vinyl inside a nice plastic and paper sleeve. Hey, maybe this is high quality sound. This album did, indeed, have high quality sound with a very clean background. However, I was let down by the songs, way too much "we've lost our love and you found someone else, so I'm hurt, why aren't you?", angst for me, at my time in life. The music was good, but upon first listen, it was too little to balance out the lyrics. So, I didn't make a good choice with this one; can't recommend it, unless you're going through a rough relationship time, but I'll listen to it again (maybe in a month or two) and maybe it will grow on me.
457005259_miQeF-M.jpg

Next up was Paul McCartney and Youth's, "The Fireman Electric Arguments". I haven't bought a Paul McCartney album since the first "Wings" album, so why this one? I read a review that said it was great and then all the reviews on the album cover were great, too... "just awesome" - BBC, "Paul McCartney lets it rip" - Idolator, "vamping, zeppelin-esque" - Pitchfork. Then there was the direct metal mastering, 200g vinyl, limited edition, complete album CD and booklet included. It even came with a 6mil flapped album cover. How could I miss? Well, I didn't! I'm happy to say that this album is very good. There are moments when it is absolutely great. Very highly recommended.
457005248_yFh5a-M.jpg

Justin's quotes got me to pull this one up this morning.

the The ~ Dusk

How many whores have walked through that door
Lain by my side & climbed in my mind
& taken me down to where the heat
blisters the skin upon my feet
makes me reach out & weep for the days when
I was pure of heart & slept in peace.

Attachments

• vinylvortexstore-img565x503-the_the.jpg
    vinylvortexstore-img565x503-the_the.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 102
Justin's quotes got me to pull this one up this morning.

the The ~ Dusk

How many whores have walked through that door
Lain by my side & climbed in my mind
& taken me down to where the heat
blisters the skin upon my feet
makes me reach out & weep for the days when
I was pure of heart & slept in peace.

You know what's funny Wayne, I was going to do an entire Sunday Morning set based opun stuff that Justin had quoted in his sig line. Unfortunately right now the bastage doesn't have anything in there (What, no quote?).

I think I had lined up some Smiths, Stranglers, The The, I can't remember what else. It was going to be a sort of homage'.

Come on Justin, give us some more ideas!!!!

Dreamer, excellent choices, I also woke up with Kate on my mind. I agree with your observation on the Pink Marble pressing of "Hounds of Love", mine is also superior to the black vinyl version.

I got my blood flowing this morning with Piatigorsky and Munch leading the BSO in Dvoraks "Cello Concerto in B Minor, Op. 104". After that it was a MoFi pressing of the Alan Parsons Project, "Tales of Mystery and Imagination". For whatever reason this sounded EXCEPTIONAL this morning. Right now I'm spinning Kate Bush's most recent release "Aerial" on a UK pressing. Kate always sounds good - is there any female artist with more sensual delivery and phrasing?

Tim, Dreamer, I also find that most colored vanity pressings don't sound as good, however I must say that the white vinyl I listened to this morning had excellent sound with a very silent background. I also noticed that Ryan Adams' latest, "Cardinology" on red vinyl had very good sound also. Even his "Easy Tiger" orange vinyl release sounded good. I recommend both of these albums. Also Tim, I listened to the CD version of "Aerial" a couple of years ago and found it pretty nice, too.

Tim, Dreamer, I also find that most colored vanity pressings don't sound as good, however I must say that the white vinyl I listened to this morning had excellent sound with a very silent background. I also noticed that Ryan Adams' latest, "Cardinology" on red vinyl had very good sound also. Even his "Easy Tiger" orange vinyl release sounded good. I recommend both of these albums. Also Tim, I listened to the CD version of "Aerial" a couple of years ago and found it pretty nice, too.

I've got "Easy Tiger" on the orange vinyl and thought it sounded great also. I haven't picked up "Cardiology" yet - it's on my GET List.

Last edited:
You know what's funny Wayne, I was going to do an entire Sunday Morning set based opun stuff that Justin had quoted in his sig line. Unfortunately right now the bastage doesn't have anything in there (What, no quote?).

I think I had lined up some Smiths, Stranglers, The The, I can't remember what else. It was going to be a sort of homage'.

Come on Justin, give us some more ideas!!!!

The bastage, hey? Harsh words, Timothy. Ya know, Wayne and I were only recently discussing the music that gets posted on this thread... he summarised very nicely some of the tastes expressed by fellow forum junkies here.

I didn't know my quotes had made such a deep impact:)!

You should know, however, that there is much I would like to quote from the likes of The Happy Mondays, The Clash, The Sex Pistols etc etc that would see Tom ban me immediately! That's a crying shame, because some of it is excellent. Especially some of the down right rude Happy Monday's lyrics...:eek::devil:

I'm smiling - big grin from cheek to cheek.

Last edited:
The bastage, hey? Harsh words, Timothy. Ya know, Wayne and I were only recently discussing the music that gets posted on this thread... he summarised very nicely some of the tastes expressed by fellow forum junkies here.

I didn't know my quotes had made such a deep impact:)!

You should know, however, that there is much I would like to quote from the likes of The Happy Mondays, The Clash, The Sex Pistols etc etc that would see Tom ban me immediately! That's a crying shame, because some of it is excellent. Especially some of the down right rude Happy Monday's lyrics...:eek::devil:

OK, bastage was harsh - I do enjoy the quotes though.

Happy Mondays, yeah, I get it.

Or how about a little Janes Addiction - "Some people SHOULD die, that's just unconcious knowledge" Pigs in Zen

I like it, Tim...

Check this, however. Too big for the sig thang. Great album, too. Slow to catch on, but once it's in your blood, it's brilliant!

"So your ex got a mansion where you kick it on the hill. Your boy comes to see you, he's your hollywood thrill. He's a Spanish fly, bucks like a stallion. In the suits that you got him, he looks more Italian. You worry bout your tan when the weather's gettin clammy. Summer in the city and winters in Miami. You get so high on the high life pills. Cruisin and boozin and rockin on the horse size pills." Horse Pills - The Dandy Warhols - Thirteen Tales From Urban Bohemia

The whole song paints a really great picture of some desperate old rich tart who likes knocking off Toy Boys. That doesn't read too well, does it? You have gotta listen to it to appreciate it:D.

Do a web search for the rest of the lyrics, or better still, buy the album. The recent stuff is nowhere near as good.

Last edited:
OK, Sunday has been a BIG vinyl day for me, re-discovering some of my favorite platters, and having lot of fun getting the TT dialed in, and moving all my vinyl into the listening room from storage. Five large rubbermaid tubs of platters (and two more in Martinsburg in storage that I haven't moved down here yet!) is going to supply me with a LOT of records to clean and play over the coming cold winter months. Today, I just got a little start, but it was FUN. Days like today remind me of why I LOVE this hobby so much. The gadgets and gear are a lot of fun, but it's REALLY all about the music, and analogue is just SO yummy...

sunday_kate2.jpg

I started my day of this morning with Kate Bush (posted earlier), and then sort of went all over the map...

Manhattan Transfer, "The Best Of"

Spyro Gyra, "Morning Dance"

Jefferson Airplane, "The Worst of Jefferson Airplane"

Kate Bush, "The Kick Inside"

And I've got about 300 more pieces of "black pizza" to clean, preserve with LAST, and listen to. It should help make the cold winter evenings go by much faster this winter.

My sweetie says she HATES vinyl, but when she gets back from her trip to Baltimore this weekend, I'm gong to have her sit down and listen to a few tracks with a tasty bevie, and see if I can't change her mind, just a little... :music:

Back