Sunday Morning Music

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am I the only guy who gets annoyed at having to scroll from side to side while reading posts? One poster messes up the whole page here.

Big pics cause this I believe. Check the large pic above. The software doesn't resize and defaults to show the entire pic. If posters would not upload pics wider than the page it wouldn't happen.

You know I think that the vBullettin software should be clever enough to trap this kind of thing. But until it is... sebrof2000 could you rescale the pic?

And it wasn't me Chris, honest! Limey? Hm... wife had to explain that one!

I deleted the post with the big pic - Sorry about that.
I couldn't figure out how to edit so I deleted.
Now if we could only edit that bold red text;)
I'll try again:

I went down to the local record store - Waterloo Records in Austin - and picked up some new stuff yesterday.

Jenny Lewis with the Watson Twins, Rabit Fur Coat. I got this on vinyl ($14) and it sounds pretty good even on my very modest analog front end. I got her Acid Tongue last week and was very impressed. That album rocks more than this one, but Rabbit Fur Coat is also very good.
John Hiatt, Same Old Man. I like this one a well. I've heard some of his stuff before but don't own any besides this one. I'll definately look up some of his other stuff.
ALO, Roses and Clover. I saw that another member mentioned this one and liked it, so I bought it without hearing anything from them. Very good stuff.

Attachments

• FNP.jpg
    FNP.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 141
Analog Bliss!

I spent a bit of late night listening time last night and then some Sunday Morning time with the latest set of 4 LP's from the Acoustic Sounds Blue Note 45 series. OMG, these discs just seem to get better and better! I'm hoping that Risabet will do his usual bang up job of reviewing these latest releases in our Recommended Recordings section as he's done with the others, as these really are something special. Last night I started off with Art Taylor by means of "AT's Delight". This one just wet the appetite.

This morning started off with Ike Quebec. I'm not really familiar with Ike Quebec I'm ashamed to say, but I mean to rectify that. On "it might as well be spring" Mr. Quebec delivers such an amazing tone out of his saxophone it set me back in my seat for one of the most enjoyable listening sessions I've had in a long time. He has these sustained breathy tones in the lower registers. An utterly mesmerizing album, likely to end up back on the turntable before the day is out!

Next up was Dexter Gordon with a follow up to another LP in the series ("Dexter Calling) from 1962 titled "Go". This is a very worthwhile effort and complements the earlier album nicely.

Finishing up a few minutes ago with another stunner - Cannonball Adderley's classic "Somethin' Else". I've had this on CD for years and always enjoyed it, but this release is like the proverbial audiophile jargon. "Veils are lifted", "light is shed on everything", "it's as though I'm hearing it for the first time". This is an AWESOME LP, stunning in it's sound quality. Just listen to the sound of Art Blakey's drums and the stunning tone of Miles Davis trumpet both wide open and muted. And Adderly's playing, both the hard bop on "Love For Sale" or the tender expression coming straight from the heart on "Dancing in the Dark" are nothing short of masterpiece. Hearing he and Davis trading lines on "One for Daddy-O" brought it all home. This is a landmark piece of Jazz history, stunningly rendered on a dead quiet superb pressing.

If you're a subsciber to the series you are in for a treat. If you're not a subscriber don't hesitate to pick up both "Somethin' Else" and "it might as well be spring" - you won't regret it!

Attachments

• TaylorQuebec.jpg
    TaylorQuebec.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 132
  • GordonAdderley.jpg
    GordonAdderley.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
I had knee surgery on Wednesday, so I've been listening to a lot of music over the last few days. This morning was no exception. I started off with a 1973 RCA Dynaflex (dynawarp!) B.W.Stevenson's, "My Maria". You may have heard Brooks and Dunn's version, but Buckwheat did it first. Too bad he died at just 38, he had a great voice. Funny thing, this vinyl is as thin as it gets, yet the sound quality is amazing, with a very quiet background.
469869719_MfMYG-S.jpg

Next up was Todd Snider's, "Peace Queer". "I nearly had to kill me a couple of them peace queers out behind the church this morning" - the village fuggs. This album is worth the admission price for his impressive version of Fogerty's "Fortunate Son", with assistance from Patty Griffin.
469869699_UxYoK-S.jpg

I was now ready for some jammin', so I brought out Widespread Panic's new one, "Free Somehow". It starts out typical WP with some good, in your face rock, then gets into their mellow, boogie mood and finishes hard. Great stuff.
469869780_d6aB8-S.jpg

Last up was the Chris Duarte Group, "Vantage Point" on CD. I think this album should have been named, Rock, Boogie and Blues, cuz it does it all. If you've never heard Chris play, he sounds like he is influenced by Stevie Ray, Hendricks and Malmstream.
469869741_Hdxxm-S.jpg

I went down to the local record store - Waterloo Records in Austin - and picked up some new stuff yesterday.

Jenny Lewis with the Watson Twins, Rabit Fur Coat. I got this on vinyl ($14) and it sounds pretty good even on my very modest analog front end. I got her Acid Tongue last week and was very impressed. That album rocks more than this one, but Rabbit Fur Coat is also very good.
John Hiatt, Same Old Man. I like this one a well. I've heard some of his stuff before but don't own any besides this one. I'll definately look up some of his other stuff.
QUOTE]

I agree, I really like that album, "Rabbit Fur Coat". The only song I don't care for on the whole album is the title song! Born Secular is a great song, very moving with a church sounding organ and kick ass drums. Very well recorded album. I also agree that her latest, "Acid Tongue", is great.

John Hyatt has been around for a long time and has written many songs that others have made hits from. His voice can get annoying at times, but his songs are well crafted. I recommend his, "Bring the Family" album. Once you dig his "Memphis in the Meantime", then check out Chris Smither's version of it on his "Happier Blue" album. Great acoustic blues album, by the way.

This morning started off with Ike Quebec. I'm not really familiar with Ike Quebec I'm ashamed to say, but I mean to rectify that. On "it might as well be spring" Mr. Quebec delivers such an amazing tone out of his saxophone it set me back in my seat for one of the most enjoyable listening sessions I've had in a long time. He has these sustained breathy tones in the lower registers. An utterly mesmerizing album, likely to end up back on the turntable before the day is out!

Next up was Dexter Gordon with a follow up to another LP in the series ("Dexter Calling) from 1962 titled "Go". This is a very worthwhile effort and complements the earlier album nicely.

Finishing up a few minutes ago with another stunner - Cannonball Adderley's classic "Somethin' Else". I've had this on CD for years and always enjoyed it, but this release is like the proverbial audiophile jargon. "Veils are lifted", "light is shed on everything", "it's as though I'm hearing it for the first time". This is an AWESOME LP, stunning in it's sound quality. Just listen to the sound of Art Blakey's drums and the stunning tone of Miles Davis trumpet both wide open and muted. And Adderly's playing, both the hard bop on "Love For Sale" or the tender expression coming straight from the heart on "Dancing in the Dark" are nothing short of masterpiece. Hearing he and Davis trading lines on "One for Daddy-O" brought it all home. This is a landmark piece of Jazz history, stunningly rendered on a dead quiet superb pressing.

If you're a subsciber to the series you are in for a treat. If you're not a subscriber don't hesitate to pick up both "Somethin' Else" and "it might as well be spring" - you won't regret it!

Tim, you're killin' me! I've got "Something Else" on Blue Note 180 gram and it sounds great! But no, now I have to go buy the new 45rpm version so I can get those "veils lifted". Well, maybe not, as I'll buy albums I don't already have first. I've got the new "Go" 45rpm release and it does sound great, as does Art Blakey's "Caravan". Thanks for the recommendation on Ike Quebec.

Clearaudio Champion 2. Are you sure?:D

Actually, Stereopile only class C'd it. Disappointing, but I wouldn't like to agree with them until I'd actually heard one. Love it to bits to look at, though. What a beaut!

Just checked the UK prices for these - they have gone up massively due to the drop in the £. Feel really sorry for the local business who sells them. They'll never shift at the current prices. What a shame.

Couldn't care less what Stereophile say. Anyway - if the £ has dropped, maybe a Michell would be better value?

I spent a bit of late night listening time last night and then some Sunday Morning time with the latest set of 4 LP's from the Acoustic Sounds Blue Note 45 series. OMG, these discs just seem to get better and better! I'm hoping that Risabet will do his usual bang up job of reviewing these latest releases in our Recommended Recordings section as he's done with the others, as these really are something special. Last night I started off with Art Taylor by means of "AT's Delight". This one just wet the appetite.

I agree, these are a treat. Got mine Wednesday and listened to them straight through. Review to come.

Couldn't care less what Stereophile say. Anyway - if the £ has dropped, maybe a Michell would be better value?

Thought I would let you know I have looked into upgrading My Champion to a Champion 2 (absent the 2nd plinth) This would include larger platter, motor riser and tonearm riser..............................$2500.00:mad: What!!!!!

They told me the platter alone was $1800.00. Looks like I won't be doing this anytime soon. As a matter of fact the Needle Doc advised me to sell and look at another brand as the price of Clearaudio has gone through the roof. Perhaps the Michell is in my future.

Doug - out

Clearaudios have gotten uglier and the price certainly has gone through the roof for the privelage!

Michells are great though. So are Basis.

Oh, why the heck am I getting involved in this? I'm not an vinyl-head. And I don't want to become one.........no more vinyl on Sunday mornings - back to regular programming from this Sunday (maybe).

I picked up AMPARO by Lee Ritenhour and Dave Grusin a couple days ago. There is one recording, #4 which is the Pavane that just blew me away not more than 10 minutes ago. Never in my life has a piece of music touched me like this version did. Just amazing.

Gordon

I picked up AMPARO by Lee Ritenhour and Dave Grusin a couple days ago. There is one recording, #4 which is the Pavane that just blew me away not more than 10 minutes ago. Never in my life has a piece of music touched me like this version did. Just amazing.

Gordon
I have not heard that version, but do love the Fauré Pavane. If you like that you may also like his Requiem.

Bernard, have a recommendation/version you cared for?

Gordon

I don't know about Bernard, but I've got an LP with John Rutter leading the Cambridge Singers in the Faure Requiem on one side and Rutter's own on the other, I believe on the Colgems label. I'll see if I can dig it out for tomorrow morning. It's a wonderful album.

Bernard, have a recommendation/version you cared for?

Gordon
Gordon, the one I like is (copied from amazon, where it is available for $10):

Performer: Bernard Kruysen, Daniel Chorzempa, Elly Ameling, Jill Gomez
Orchestra: Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra
Conductor: David Zinman, Jean Fournet

I prefer it to the one recorded by Linn Records (which I also have). I have not heard MiTT's recommended one.

No Sunday morning music for me - my parents were up from Sydney so we decided to do some things together that didn't involve listening to the 'Logans!

Back