Sunday Morning Music

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been cleaning the office and working most of the morning, so I haven't spun any vinyl yet today. :(

I HAVE still had some great tunes though. Started things off with the Kronos Quartet "Pieces of Africa". That was followed by Frank Zappa's amazing compositions on "The Yellow Shark" a real study in disonant, stark beauty. Talk Talk was next up in the form of "The Colour of Spring", and since I was listening to great British sonic textures with clever lyrics that led me down the path to XTC's classic "Skylarking".

A bit all over the map except in one respect - each of these sound absolutely AMAZING on the CLS's! True demo quality stuff all around that just so happens to be real music to boot.

Attachments

• Kronos.jpg
    Kronos.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 184
  • ZappaShark.jpg
    ZappaShark.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 183
  • TalkTalk.jpg
    TalkTalk.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 182
  • XTC.jpg
    XTC.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 188
Love the Yellow Shark Tim. I wonder if they have continued to work on any level? I would enjoy hearing more of that group.

Doug - out

BTW - This post is sort of a anniversary for me, #300
Love this site.

Nothing unusual. Just some Split Ends . and Crowded House. The Finn brothers at their best !

The new Tim Finn album is pretty good if you are a Crowded House fan...

As for me, it's deadline time, so I just push the "random" button on the Sooloos and let it surprise me.

The new Tim Finn album is pretty good if you are a Crowded House fan...

As for me, it's deadline time, so I just push the "random" button on the Sooloos and let it surprise me.

I thought we had a rule here - no music servers on Sunday morning!

Since I had no listening on Sunday morning, I made up for it with evening music - I listened to Patricia Barber's Modern Cool for the first time in ages - it has "matured", just like a good bottle of red. I forgot how damn fine sounding that drum solo is on Track 7 (Company)!

Attachments

• mc.jpg
    mc.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 136
Another beautiful day, here in Round Rock. I started this morning out listening to a brand new Mark Olson and Gary Louris album, "Ready For the Flood". Very nice acoustic guitar and voice, well recorded, nicely crafted songs. There are, of course other instruments played and there are some times when it rocks a bit, but the emphasis is on two guys singing and playing their guitars.
477784205_xy8fe-M.jpg

Then I put on the new Delbert McClinton, "Live" album. Wow! This was recorded at the Bergen Musicfest in Norway and contains some of the very best of Delbert, well, at least my favorites. A few of the songs are stretched out for individual solos, for example, "I Want To Love You" was originally three or four minutes, but is eight minutes, fifty four seconds here. The recording quality is very very good, as a matter of fact, I think it exceeds any other recording of Delbert that I have and I have a lot of them. Very highly recommended!
477784209_KLLRT-M.jpg

Both of these albums were released by New West Records and they have done a great job with them. The surface noise is very very low, dynamics are good and the packaging is good (and from recycled). They have started releasing their albums with thick plastic record sleeves, that I don't like, as I think they are too stiff and could scratch the vinyl surface. I swap them out with MoFi sleeves for the added peace of mind.

just got a japanese import copy of Frank Zappa's "Bongo Fury".

Sounds much better than my old LP!

It's funny, back in the early '70's, when I was stationed in Okinawa, I used to get these Japanese records for 25 cents! They were what we called throwaways, as they only sounded good for the first couple of plays. Obviously, they photocopied the covers and used cheap vinyl, but they were a bargain if you bought them just to record them to tape, which is what I did.

It's a "Emmylou" morning for me....well, it actually started last nite with a two 'slabs' from "The Last Waltz" alblum.

Attachments

• IMG_0101.JPG
    IMG_0101.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 104
Dave Mason "Super Hits"

Attachments

• 51lnfLXmMJL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
    51lnfLXmMJL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 104
Alison Krauss & Union Station ~ New Favorite
Martin Scorsese Presents The Best Of The Blues

Attachments

• AL.jpg
    AL.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 92
  • BLU.jpg
    BLU.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 91
Silly me, I thought yesterday was Sunday until after I posted! Oh well, a life of going to the gym every other day, playing with the grandkids, riding my motorcycle, driving the sports car and last but not least, listening to music, it's easy to forget what day it is! Anywho, I just finished listening to two great albums, the first of which was "Lee-way", by Lee Morgan. An absolutely fabulous jazz album...
478588158_xFP7B-M.jpg

Next up was "Hope", by Hugh Masekela, a live recording that will demonstrate the full capacity of your system. One of my favorite albums for cranking it up to see what my system can do. Both of these albums I highly recommend, but I think "Hope" is indispensable.
478588164_QVEdf-M.jpg

Ray Brown and James Morrison - Two the Max
......that put me in the mood for......
Ray Brown with Christian McBride and John Clayton Live at Schullers - Super Bass
......then......
The Whitlams - Eternal Nightcap

Attachments

• tm.jpg
    tm.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 166
  • sb.jpg
    sb.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 167
  • whit.jpg
    whit.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Next up was "Hope", by Hugh Masekela, a live recording that will demonstrate the full capacity of your system. One of my favorite albums for cranking it up to see what my system can do. Both of these albums I highly recommend, but I think "Hope" is indispensable.

+++1 on that one!

Heard this on the big Avantgarde system, with their monster subs, in a big room, and it was scary good.

+++1 on that one!

Heard this on the big Avantgarde system, with their monster subs, in a big room, and it was scary good.

double ditto here on 'Hope'.. first heard it at the Montreal Audio Show a few years ago and picked it up the same day. Whenever I make a change in my system, it's pretty much the first thing that goes on. Love the CD and would love to hear it on a great system again.

Back