Summit Spike Decision

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attachments

• spikes.jpg
    spikes.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 276
Have you tried them yet? I am in process of making more if anyone is still interested...I know this is going slower than the first batch but I must give 100% to work first. Please be patient, it will happen.

I don't have summits yet. :p However, they do make a great paperweight as long as you keep them bagged together! The summits will be ordered this week for sure. :)

Received the Spikes

Hi:
I received the spikes today. I'll give it a try over the weekend and post pictures along with a review.
Thanks.

FINALLY had time tonight to put on Jason's new spikes... with SUPERB sonic effect. I got the 2-1/2" versions, which are just about right for my carpet. Using the stock spikes in front, and Jason's in back, my Summits are now angled back only 2.5 degrees from vertical. The imaging is tighter than ever, with a slightly more forward midrange, and better overall tonal balance than before. Despite the woofers being slightly higher, there is no perceptible loss of bass detail, in fact, I think it's even cleaner sounding. I have noticed little, if any, difference in the highs. See attached pic.

Overall, the spikes are very well made, and screw into the threaded legs perfectly. The lateral holes work perfectly for final height adjustments. One minor issue is that the thread at the tapered ends is partially milled off, so you can only put the locking screw ring on from the flat end (not really a problem). Also, the spikes have a bit of visible rust/oxidation in the threaded portion. Although they're stainless steel, I coated them with a thin layer of Caig ProGold, to "seal" them from further oxidation. The spikes are barely visible anyways, so it's a moot point.

In retrospect, I should have suggested making a "sharper" spike (like the Viablue spikes that Lugano posted a picture of), which could penetrate a thick carpet/pad better, and more firmly contact the substrate below. However, that would have required a set of EIGHT new spikes, hence double the cost. In time, given the weight of the Summits, I think the broader spike will eventually "settle" to the concrete.

Overall, I give Jason an A+, for a FANTASTIC job in a) designing, b) milling, and c) shipping the spikes, and doing so in such a timely fashion.

I urge all other ML Owners to "tweak" the tilt angle of your speakers, and see if that produces audible improvements. Maybe when we visit ML this summer, we can convince the ML engineers to pay a bit more attention to the "tilt effect" in future designs!

Attachments

• New Spikes.jpg
    New Spikes.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 228
...... Despite the woofers being slightly higher, there is no perceptible loss of bass detail, in fact, I think it's even cleaner sounding.....

I have granite slabs underneath my Summits. You should try it.

I have granite slabs underneath my Summits. You should try it.

IMHO, placing a granite slab on carpet, with spiked speakers on top, kinda defeats the purpose of spikes, as the speaker is not really "anchored". Of course, with the longer rear spikes, you still get the benefit of the forward tilt.

Anybody else using a granite slab (or equivalent) on carpet?

IMHO, placing a granite slab on carpet, with spiked speakers on top, kinda defeats the purpose of spikes, as the speaker is not really "anchored". Of course, with the longer rear spikes, you still get the benefit of the forward tilt.

Anybody else using a granite slab (or equivalent) on carpet?

The Summit has a downward firing woofer. Idea is to have the bass waves meet a solid surface, not absorbed or muffled by a soft one. Like I said, try it. The tilt benefits the panels.

At sub frequencies, carpet and carpet padding is virtually invisible. There really should be virtually no difference between spiking it through carpet or spiking it directly to whatever surface is below it (if the carpet was removed)

The main difference I would expect to hear is the difference between coupling and decoupling the speaker from the room/floor. Depending on the type of floor you have...one may be better than the other.

So, what's the concensus amongst the new spike owners. Have y'all had a chance to play with the "tilt tweak"?

Initially, I adjusted mine so the panels were 92 degrees, but the mids and highs were TOO bright. I took them back to about 94 degrees, which gives a better balance from my sweet spot.

I've been sitting here listening to my new Gary Karr Super Double-bass XRCD, with jaw-dropping awe at the clarity. Every string vibration and pluck seems even more audible than you'd ever hear live in concert! It doesn't get any better than this folks!

Like Sleepysurf, I found tilting the speaker too far forward caused the mids and highs to be too bright. The picture below shows the original position. I lowered it by approx. 1/2 inch. The improvement was dramatic--"The imaging is tighter than ever, with a slightly more forward midrange, and better overall tonal balance than before."(Sleepysurf)

Notice the indentation in the wood from the original spike. I expect the new spikes will settle into the wood over time.

I've updated my system posting with a view of the 4 spikes on the wooden platform--3rd picture down (http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=2110&page=2)

Thanks jtwrace for advancing my quest for audio nirvana. :musicnote:

Attachments

• new_spikes1.jpg
    new_spikes1.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
I'm in the 'burbies now... so I finally have the spikes on hand.

I will bring the spikes with me to my apartment, but I'm going to hold off on impressions until I receiver the long-awaited DAC...

No critical listening sessions until I get the DAC...

:(

I'm in the 'burbies now... so I finally have the spikes on hand.

I will bring the spikes with me to my apartment, but I'm going to hold off on impressions until I receiver the long-awaited DAC...

No critical listening sessions until I get the DAC...

:(

Joey,

In my opinion, you would be better off listening with the spikes now because you are used to listening to the current configuration.

Joey,

In my opinion, you would be better off listening with the spikes now because you are used to listening to the current configuration.

I was kind of thinking the same thing. How will you know if the spikes or the DAC made the biggest difference if you swap em out at the same time? Although maybe if you were more interested in the changes the DAC made I can see wanting to try the spikes after the DAC.

Back