speaker break in

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

Reaction score
Interesting experience recently...I bought a pair of Claritys about 2 years ago. When I first connected them, I thought they sounded very nice, but a bit thin on the low end...so I bought an REL sub to pair with them. Over the last couple years, I have adjusted the sub and dailed in the Claritys. Recently, I removed the sub from the system (selling the house, so needed to remove "clutter"). To my surprise, I really don't miss the sub too much. The Claritys now have much more bass than I remember...we're talking night and day! Based on comments I've heard about speaker break in, I'm assuming this is normal. I was a bit sceptical about the severity of the difference, but hearing is believing!

Steve,

The question regarding speaker break in is debateable... but I think it's entirely possible. However, that said, I would be willing to bet that a lot of your impressions may have to do with your ears breaking in (per se) as you probably got more and more used to the sound.

Joey ;)

Steve,
I found that I needed 40-50 hours to break in my Clarity's and the bass definitely tightened up over that period.. say a couple of months.
Bass was OK in my first place with wood floors and I did not have the driving urge to get a sub.
When I moved into my new place 4 months ago, smaller main room and carpeted throughout, I felt the lack of bass. I did end up with a sub but even that took a moth or two to break in nicely.
Maybe it's environmental changes or you added the sub before your Clarity's were fully broken in. Just my 2 cents canadian.

Yeah, I've always been pretty skeptical myself, but I can't deny the change. It was very pronounced on certain types of music, to the point I felt the need to spend $1k on a sub! There is definately more fullness than was there initially. The only thing I can think is that the suspension material for the woofer loosens up over time, allowing more throw, and resulting in more bass. Just a theory, based on absolutely no real research and/or science! :think:

The only thing I can think is that the suspension material for the woofer loosens up over time, allowing more throw, and resulting in more bass. Just a theory, based on absolutely no real research and/or science! :think:

That's the idea.. but in order for the Clarity to produce more bass, it has to significantly move more air, and merely loosening up woofer suspension material does not seem sufficient. Perhaps you have been listening to it louder lately or have the eq on the pre/pro turned up? Perhaps you moved the system around since you first heard it in your house sans the sub?

I dont know.. but in the end, it's your enjoyment that matters the most. :)

but in order for the Clarity to produce more bass, it has to significantly move more air,

Not necessarily. There's much more to reproducing quality sound than merely moving air. Changing speaker positions alone is enough to change the quality and quantity of bass.

Not necessarily. There's much more to reproducing quality sound than merely moving air. Changing speaker positions alone is enough to change the quality and quantity of bass.

I understand Craig....my comment was more towards if nothing was changed (positioning or otherwise)... in a static speaker.

I understand Craig....my comment was more towards if nothing was changed (positioning or otherwise)... in a static speaker.

Hola Joe...I think there is a change for better. When you take out of the box a speaker, it sound is not as pleasant as it is two weeks later...ask everybody and they will say this is true...why? Breake in...I think the break in is like a new car...you have to use it some time until it cushion:musicnote: down the suspension, motor, and every mooving part of the car...like the rubber at the edge of the woofer...brand new is too stiff and hard. Happy listening,
Roberto.:rocker:

Hola Joe...I think there is a change for better. When you take out of the box a speaker, it sound is not as pleasant as it is two weeks later...ask everybody and they will say this is true...why? Breake in...I think the break in is like a new car...you have to use it some time until it cushion:musicnote: down the suspension, motor, and every mooving part of the car...like the rubber at the edge of the woofer...brand new is too stiff and hard. Happy listening,
Roberto.:rocker:

Agree Roberto! There will be a break in for most movable objects and certain electrical components like capacitors etc... all I was saying is that barring changing room layout/speaker positioning and attenuating room sonics via treatments and what not, I do not foresee a change in merely the woofer's compliance for movement to be as extreme as not needing a subwoofer.

I just cant see how a change in compliance will allow for that much more air to be moved. I mean, the quickness of the initiating transient bass note may be faster/quicker off the gun, but overall bass extension will not change as there is no change in the tuning of the Clarity's ported bass-reflex cabinet.

Just my dos centavos, my friend! :)

Don't get me wrong...the bass is not exactly shaking the walls at this point. When I first got the Claritys, there was some music where I thought they did very well without the sub (at least, for my tastes). Now, I think that statement actually applies to most of the music that I listen to. If I'm really going to rock, the sub will still be necessary! However, for most critical listening, I don't believe the extra bass will be necessary. There will no doubt still be situations where more bass will be nice, and certainly for movies I will need the contribution of the sub.

Don't get me wrong...the bass is not exactly shaking the walls at this point. When I first got the Claritys, there was some music where I thought they did very well without the sub (at least, for my tastes). Now, I think that statement actually applies to most of the music that I listen to. If I'm really going to rock, the sub will still be necessary! However, for most critical listening, I don't believe the extra bass will be necessary. There will no doubt still be situations where more bass will be nice, and certainly for movies I will need the contribution of the sub.

Hola...the Clarities were designed by the Team of ML, taking in mind their use for HT. Of course this does not means that you can not use them as stereo main. Yes you can!, and regarding your experience with the bass, I agreed with you. They put a lot of bass energy coming from that aluminum 8¨ speaker. Very truly good bass and deep...:musicnote: Enjoy your super sound friend, happy listening,
Roberto.

I agree with you guys. I just purchase the Clarities for surrounds, but have been using them for Mains in my bedroom system to break them in and I have been very impressed with the level of bass from these babies. I had low expectations, I admit, but they have really impressed me. And they haven't even been broken in yet. Now for critical two-channel listening and HT, I would still need a sub because I like to feel the pluck of those low bass notes. But still for casual listening I think these guys put out very nice, musical bass.

Back