New listening room with CLX speakers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_0504.jpg
IMG_0446.jpg
IMG_0447.jpg

I finally completed my new listening room (15 months in the making) with ASC double drywall construction. The CLXs love this space, approximately 19x19 feet with 17 foot high ceilings. The speakers are about 5.5 feet out from the rear wall. They sound so much better than in my smaller living room. I have had them for five years now and can't imagine wanting to replace them. I have two REL subs (Carbon Limited) in the corners. Am driving the CLXs with an ARC 150SE reference amp. I might get a pair of Parasound JC 1s or other solid state amp for comparison some time in the future.

Randy

View attachment 24301View attachment 24302View attachment 24303
I finally completed my new listening room (15 months in the making) with ASC double drywall construction. The CLXs love this space, approximately 19x19 feet with 17 foot high ceilings. The speakers are about 5.5 feet out from the rear wall. They sound so much better than in my smaller living room. I have had them for five years now and can't imagine wanting to replace them. I have two REL subs (Carbon Limited) in the corners. Am driving the CLXs with an ARC 150SE reference amp. I might get a pair of Parasound JC 1s or other solid state amp for comparison some time in the future.

Randy
Did you use a special kind of insulation in the space between the walls?

It's called the Iso-wall construction method.
http://www.asc-soundproof.com/products/iso-wall/The basic idea is to isolate the outer drywall from the inner drywall using brackets so that the room is acoustically isolated from the exterior environment.
The room is very quiet, meaning that it does not pick up sound from outside and once the door is closed, it is almost sound proof.

Are there any issues with the room being almost a cube albeit with angled ceiling?

I talked to Jordan at ASC about this. I was afraid that the almost cubic room would have deleterious effects and the echo I experienced when the room was complete but not yet furnished did not alleviate those concerns. Jordan said not to worry because the CLXs threw sound to the front and rear, not to the sides, so they effectively do not experience the sides of the room, assuming the sides are sufficiently far away. Sound to the rear is absorbed by studio traps.

With furniture and room treatments (tube traps), there is still a mild echo when speaking, but nothing you can hear from the speakers. The sound is remarkably clear and transparent. Depth is excellent. Even without the subs, the bass was quite good. This is the sound I was always trying to achieve with electrostatic speakers from the first time I hear Monoliths maybe 35 years ago!

The Iso-wall treatment was applied to three walls (front and sides) but not the back wall with the built in record shelves nor the ceiling, which tops out at about 17 feet I believe.

Considering the acoustic problems I might run into with dynamic speakers is another reason to hang onto the CLXs.

Randy from Knoxville

http://www.asc-soundproof.com/products/iso-wall/The basic idea is to isolate the outer drywall from the inner drywall using brackets so that the room is acoustically isolated from the exterior environment.
The room is very quiet, meaning that it does not pick up sound from outside and once the door is closed, it is almost sound proof.
Thanks, haven't heard of that company.

What is the room's idle dB-c?

I talked to Jordan at ASC about this. I was afraid that the almost cubic room would have deleterious effects and the echo I experienced when the room was complete but not yet furnished did not alleviate those concerns. Jordan said not to worry because the CLXs threw sound to the front and rear, not to the sides, so they effectively do not experience the sides of the room, assuming the sides are sufficiently far away. Sound to the rear is absorbed by studio traps.

With furniture and room treatments (tube traps), there is still a mild echo when speaking, but nothing you can hear from the speakers. The sound is remarkably clear and transparent. Depth is excellent. Even without the subs, the bass was quite good. This is the sound I was always trying to achieve with electrostatic speakers from the first time I hear Monoliths maybe 35 years ago!

The Iso-wall treatment was applied to three walls (front and sides) but not the back wall with the built in record shelves nor the ceiling, which tops out at about 17 feet I believe.

Considering the acoustic problems I might run into with dynamic speakers is another reason to hang onto the CLXs.

Randy from Knoxville
Great to hear that their are limited issues with the room. Sounds like you were well advised by Jordan at ASC.

I purchased my ASC Tube Trap stacks many years ago when there were few, if any, purveyors of acoustic treatments.

Interesting that you have also evolved from M-L Monoliths! I bought a pair of Monolith I's which were converted to Monolith III's with the crossover and driver upgrade...but still in the old style frame. Happily used them for many years until I found a pair of CLX's.

Happy listening!

Beautiful Randy, I bet they sing in that large room. Those really tall ceilings are awesome as well. When you’re ready to look at a pair of Jc1s, let me know, I’ll do my best to get you an amazing deal.

I remember those Monoliths really well. They were part of the first high end system that I ever heard. I was amazed by how holographic they sounded. The turntable was a Goldman Studio. Don't remember the electronics but it was probably solid state. The album was an old audiophile fav, Jazz at the Pawnshop. The whole thing blew me away.

Thanks Shawn. I may get back to you on that offer.

Randy

Back