So how many of you guys have a major analog setup anyway?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bernard, just been talking to Steve at Michell - I suggested the reason the Orbe uses a double thick perspex plinth is to reduce the vibration in it. I then mentioned the granite idea I have, and requested dimensions of the standalone motor. It has to help, in my book. The perspex plinth does vibrate at high levels, but it has to be said it is well isolated from the platter.

I think it will look good, and reduce vibration. Steve said nothing, really, just agreed to supply the dimensions. What's really good about Michell TTs is you assemble them from the bits they supply, but you can change all the bits as they refine them over time. Brilliant. What other manufacturer has such a timeless viewpoint? Names please:)

Clockwork Orange? I have it on DVD...:) Must get me a white jump suit and a huge codpiece:D BTW: There is a Michell turntable in that film - in the main characters bedroom!

Last edited:
Justin, while you're at it, you may want to consider doing what MiTT did - make yourself a sandbox and put the granite on the sand. Check Tim's system page.

I thought that the TT in the movie was an Oracle !

Justin, while you're at it, you may want to consider doing what MiTT did - make yourself a sandbox and put the granite on the sand. Check Tim's system page.

I thought that the TT in the movie was an Oracle !

I have used a sandbox/isolation table in the past with great success. It was not needed after I moved to my new house. Here is a picture. If you want to build one, I have the instruction on my website.

championsandbox.jpg

One thing I am wondering about: anytime you listened to vinyl, did you spend so much time concentrating on how much noise you heard that you forgot to pay attention to the quality of the reproduction of the music? Also, what was the best vinyl setup/system you listened to? Vinyl on a bright system can sound truly horrible; but then, so too can CD.

Being unfamiliar with the equipment doesn't make it easy to remember, but the best I've heard vinyl sound was from a Clearaudio Master? - it had the tangental tracking tonearm, I know that. I've also heard various SMEs, a Music Hall MMF-9. Oh, and an Acoustic Signature, but I have no idea what tonearm or cartridge. Preamplification was a variety of outboard and integrated units.

Real Analog

This is real analog. The way vinyl was meant to be enjoyed.

Attachments

• IMG_3231-02.jpg
    IMG_3231-02.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 72
Early digital

Everything old is new again.

By the way this sound phenomenal.

Attachments

• IMG_3232-02.jpg
    IMG_3232-02.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_3233-02.jpg