So how many of you guys have a major analog setup anyway?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, you know I'm an unabashed vinyl lover. It's not that I don't enjoy digital. I've got a very good CD/SACD player as well (the same Esoteric unit as aliveatfive above). It's just that with my set up I prefer the sound of my analog rig 95% of the time when I compare them side by side.

Since I worked in a record store for a number of years I have a lot of music on tap in both formats (about 6000 LP's and about 3500 CD's/SACD's). I still buy music on a very regular basis, at least twice a month or so - usually corresponding with a payday. I visit local haunts, many of which carry both new and used vinyl. I'd say that I spend my money about 60% on vinyl, 40% on CD/SACD.

As for my rig, I'm running a Grado Statement (although strongly considering adding a Lyra Scala) in a VPI JMW 10.5 tonearm on my original VPI Aries table. It's "tweaked" with a Living Voices Mystic Mat, a Black Diamond Racing CF Clamp and my secret tweak of running 3 small cones under the motor to isolate it even further. The table sits on a Bright Star Audio base filled with 80 lbs. of sand. The phono cable is a Synergistics Research Designers Reference running into an Aesthetics Rhea phonostage.

Yeah, there are some dollars tied up in it, but it sounds amazing!

Attachments

• Analog08.jpg
    Analog08.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Bernard,

Good call on the Getz / Gilberto album.
If you like that, see if you can find Ana Caram's "Rio After Dark"; I don't think that Chesky makes LP's any more, though. The LP sounds great, BTW.

But it comes at a price of noise, clicks, pops etc - all the usual vinyl moans and groans...

Ticks and pops aren't endemic to vinyl, just as sign of vinyl that's been poorly cared for. I have 20+ year old records that whose surfaces are as silent today as the day I got 'em. But I'm really careful with my records!

Ticks and pops aren't endemic to vinyl, just as sign of vinyl that's been poorly cared for. I have 20+ year old records that whose surfaces are as silent today as the day I got 'em. But I'm really careful with my records!

.....okay, well it comes at a price then. Having to take extreme care of something instead of just darn well enjoying the music!

.....okay, well it comes at a price then. Having to take extreme care of something instead of just darn well enjoying the music!

It's not hard. :)

Always handle records by the edge and label area only, and always use anti-static sleeves (static cauese plain paper sleeves to stick to vinyl like glue, scuffing the record when its withdrawn); my faves are the Nagaoka ones, but I don't think they're available anymore. :-( Always put them away when you finish playing them, and make sure they're not too tightly in your record shelves.

And never lend them to anyone.

"Lots-O-Vinyl"

Clearaudiio Limited Edition Champion and around 4000 records.

The TT has brought my system back to life in a big way. I had A Well Tempered Table before the Clearaudio and it was a big hassle (for me)

Attachments

• IMG_1880.jpg
    IMG_1880.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 130
I agree with taking good care of your records, and you will have minimal issues. The only thing that is troubling is with the "Vinyl resurgence" a lot of new things are being pressed and they are often not as good as the CD.

Good case in point is the new Fleet Foxes LP. The CD is very rich and warm sounding, but the LP is kind of flat. So it's always a case by case thing. A lot of the new stuff from MoFI, Classic Records and Speakers Corner have been awesome.

Here's one to avoid: Friday Music.

We got two of their titles in for review this issue and they are very bright. Almost like a bad CD. The first America record and the first Boz Scaggs record. Ugh.

Damn! I suffer from TT envy every time I see that pic; my VPI is not as sexy-looking. BUT, I do have a Koetsu ! :cool::devil:

No need. Regardless of what it is, there will always be someone with more and someone with less. Security comes not from what you have but knowing what you can live without.

There are many roads to audio nirvana. While the ultimate goal may be the destination, don't forget to enjoy the ride.

The ONLY person who has to like your system is YOU. :music:

There are many roads to audio nirvana. While the ultimate goal may be the destination, don't forget to enjoy the ride.

The ONLY person who has to like your system is YOU. :music:

Shouldn't this be printed on the front page of every audio rag?

Back