So how many of you guys have a major analog setup anyway?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clearaudio Champion II backlit with cold cathode neon. You can just make out the tubes behind the plinths.

I guess there is no chance of the cart picking up noise from the neon tubes or the high-voltage inverters that drive them?

T-

I guess there is no chance of the cart picking up noise from the neon tubes or the high-voltage inverters that drive them?

T-

I've been using them for years without issue. The system is dead quiet with large horn speakers that are 104db efficient.

The only thing that is troubling is with the "Vinyl resurgence" a lot of new things are being pressed and they are often not as good as the CD.

So it's always a case by case thing. .

How true a statement ! For this is exactly why there will never be a clearcut winner when it comes to digital vs. analog.

Shouldn't this be printed on the front page of every audio rag?

We print it on the front page of our press kit and I tell that to people everywhere I speak to an audience.

Ive heard great hifi systems ranging from a thousand bucks to a million and it all depends on you. I loved driving that Bentley Continental last issue and having spent a lot of time driving a lot of very expensive cars over the last 20 years, would buy that car in a heartbeat if I had the disposable income.

You would probably buy something completely different and that's just fine. Same with hifi. If I didn't do what I do for a living, I would never have the amount of money tied up in a system that I do.

Same reason I don't buy a new Ducati. I don't have time to ride the damn thing!

So, my hat is off to anyone that really enjoys their system, no matter how much or little they've spent on it!

Last edited by a moderator:
After seeing a few recent posts lately, how many of you would say you still have a substantial record collection, a decent turntable and listen to vinyl a lot?

Just curious as there is so much stuff being released on vinyl lately, it does seem to be stronger than ever as a format....

Certainly not like the old days, but at least strong enough that everyone continues to press it in small numbers.

Your thoughts?

I have about 1300 records, a quite modified LP12 and I listen to vinyl about 85% of the time. The fact that there are now tons of new releases and more reissues than you could shake a tonearm at are just icing on the cake for us vinyl lovers.

Last edited:
While you are at it, buy this album; you will not regret it. It is a great introduction to Brazilian jazz, and is a classic. You may even be able to find it in vinyl.

Available both used and as a reissue at 45rpm, it is a sonic charmer in both genres.

championII.jpg

Now that's what I'm looking for in a turntable. The newer Clearaudio models don't hold a candle to this in the looks department. In fact I don' think they make anything at all in clear acrylic anymore.

Analog listening

I still have all my albums from the Seventies and recently re-invested in analog gear at the urging of my son who is as retro as they come ( I find it encouraging). I bought a Music Hall 7 and Project Tube Box II. I enjoy the quality of the sound but find myself annoyed by the surface noise. I recently bought a VPI 16.5 cleaner hoping it would clear up some of that but it didn't clean them up enough.
If there was only a way to get the analog sound without the annoyance of the clicks and pops I would spend major dollars on that.

If there was only a way to get the analog sound without the annoyance of the clicks and pops I would spend major dollars on that.

A lot depends on how you looked after them, I guess. I think vinyl is intolerable for classical stuff during quiet passages, because of noise, but then again I don't listen to it.

Amazingly, though, the vast majority of my 500 odd albums are amazingly playable. And many of the discs are 30 odd years old and have been played many, many times over. For pop, punk, rock, house or anything loud, the odd click or pop doesn't bother me. But then again I grew up with it.

A possible answer

I still have all my albums from the Seventies

My question would be relative to the care you took with those records in the seventies. Not only in terms of cleaning and tossing them around or not tossing them around. But did you play them on a table that was set-up properly like not having the coins stacked on the headshell and that sort of thing.
Please don't take this as any kind of insult just trying to establish a baseline for these records you tried to listen to. I can play you some records I own that are so quiet (black background) you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between record or CD.................cept for the fact that the record would sound better:rocker:
Purchase a couple of good quality new or used slabs and give it a try. I think the you owe it to yourself to invest a small amount of $ in software (if you will) before you give up. I LOVE CDs alot but some of my most meaningful listening is done with the TT:music:
Just my 2 cents

Doug - out

No problems with clicks and pops here....

Why? If there was clicking and popping coming from the sound reinforcement system at a concert I was at, I'd ask for my money back.

For me, clicking and popping have no place in a hi-fi system.

Why? If there was clicking and popping coming from the sound reinforcement system at a concert I was at, I'd ask for my money back.

I think what he means is that he doesn't have many clicks or pops on his records period. Nor do I. Same thing for surface noise, especially on those albums that I bought once I got serious as a music collector and embroiled in this hobby. Seriously - most of my vinyl (80% or so) is every bit as quiet as my digital stuff.

I seriously wish anybody who doubts the viability of vinyl as a hi-fi source could come over and listen on my system (some of you will have this opportunity tomorrow night actually). I've entertained many a doubter, but never had one tell me they didn't prefer the sound of my analog rig.

A lot depends on how you looked after them, I guess. I think vinyl is intolerable for classical stuff during quiet passages, because of noise, but then again I don't listen to it.
Actually vinyl is very tolerable for most classical stuff. But then I don't have too many clicks or poops on my vinyl as I have always taken great care of it.

Agreed, in principle. However, the very few clicks and pops on my vinyl is a small price to pay considering how much better the music sounds on vinyl.

It may well be the case (hope I am not being a catalyst for a flame war here) that digital is more acceptable if you listen to non-acoustic instruments, i.e. you do not know what the instruments REALLY sound like.

There is: look after your records!

Keep them in anti-static sleeves, never touch the playing surfaces, and keep your stylus clean and tracking at the correct weight.

Back